Thread: Open GL causes SMART to crash

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    25 Post(s)

Default Open GL causes SMART to crash

Basically what it says in the title.

I try and change my RS setting from DirectX to OpenGL and my SMART window closes.

No idea why it been happening for a while and now i want a fix.

Anyone had a similar problem or can shine some light on this?

Thanks

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    203 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by salmon View Post
    Basically what it says in the title.

I try and change my RS setting from DirectX to OpenGL and my SMART window closes.

No idea why it been happening for a while and now i want a fix.

Anyone had a similar problem or can shine some light on this?

Thanks
    Have you tried loading a non-SMART client first in OpenGl and then trying to use smart?

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    101 Post(s)

Never had issues with openGl.

Are you trying to use ogLib? Or just SRL in openGl?

Could you post the script thats causing the issues?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    25 Post(s)

Just SRL i think as i'm not sure what ogLib is to be fair ha.

And it's not just a particular script. Even with a script that doesn't require OpenGL to run if i attempt to go into settings and change it from directX to openGL it crashes. The strange thing is in the debug box it uses the OpenGL plugin ;Using plugins "OpenGL32.dll,d3d9.dll"

I also tried to do it on browser and the same happens. :/

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1869 Post(s)

Just SRL i think as i'm not sure what ogLib is to be fair ha.

And it's not just a particular script. Even with a script that doesn't require OpenGL to run if i attempt to go into settings and change it from directX to openGL it crashes. The strange thing is in the debug box it uses the OpenGL plugin ;Using plugins "OpenGL32.dll,d3d9.dll"

I also tried to do it on browser and the same happens. :/
    If it crashes using the browser or any of Jagex's official clients, then it's a problem on your end. Your graphics card might not support the version of OpenGL that RuneScape runs under.

Updating your drivers is pretty much the only thing you can do.
    GitLab projects | Simba 1.4 | Find me on IRC or Discord | ScapeRune scripts | Come play bot ScapeRune!

<BenLand100> we're just in the transitional phase where society reclassifies guns as Badâ„¢ before everyone gets laser pistols

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KeepBotting View Post
    If it crashes using the browser or any of Jagex's official clients, then it's a problem on your end. Your graphics card might not support the version of OpenGL that RuneScape runs under.

Updating your drivers is pretty much the only thing you can do.
    ^^ This. Also make sure that you're using the latest Java. Go to your 'Device Manager' and make sure that there isn't any major driver missing.
    Jesus loves you

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    25 Post(s)

I've updated all drivers and java is fully up to date already. I really don't understand this lol.

Looks like I'm gonna have to carry on with DirectX then.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)

What graphics card are you using? You can find this easily without external software by using "dxdiag" (launch using run window) and clicking the 'Display' tab.
    Jesus loves you

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)

If you have all of the appropriate drivers, I would reckon that your graphics card is either not sufficient, or not performing at max.

You can let us know what sort of system you have for a more detailed opinion.

Or you can try going to the power plan in the control panel and looking at the graphics in the advanced power settings. If the graphics are set to something like "conserve energy" rather than something resembling "maximize performance," you may be able to get a little better performance with OpenGL by changing it.

I also observe something similar to this when using directx for a while and then attempting to switch to OpenGL. Sometimes our hardware just has a bad day, I suppose.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    25 Post(s)

I'm using the Intel(R) HD Graphics Family. Quite an old one.

And I already tried to change the power setting to maximum and it didn't make a difference.

Thanks for the help anyways guys i'm guessing i just need a hardware upgrade

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    71 Post(s)

Are you using 32 bit Java? Also try redowbloading the plugins. I have always fixed trouble with ogl by reinstalling simba or the plugins.

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1869 Post(s)

I'm using the Intel(R) HD Graphics Family. Quite an old one.

And I already tried to change the power setting to maximum and it didn't make a difference.

Thanks for the help anyways guys i'm guessing i just need a hardware upgrade
    Ah. Software rendering.

The integrated graphical processing unit inside your PC can't utilize (some|all) versions of the OpenGL rendering library, which is expected -- especially if it's an older chip.

A hardware upgrade, preferably an upgrade to a dedicated GPU, will solve your issue.
    GitLab projects | Simba 1.4 | Find me on IRC or Discord | ScapeRune scripts | Come play bot ScapeRune!

<BenLand100> we're just in the transitional phase where society reclassifies guns as Badâ„¢ before everyone gets laser pistols

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    25 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KeepBotting View Post
    Ah. Software rendering.

The integrated graphical processing unit inside your PC can't utilize (some|all) versions of the OpenGL rendering library, which is expected -- especially if it's an older chip.

A hardware upgrade, preferably an upgrade to a dedicated GPU, will solve your issue.
    Thanks a lot. Big help!

Thread Information