Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Setting up Simba on Linux (Wine)

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    176 Post(s)

Default Setting up Simba on Linux (Wine)

How to setup Simba on GNU/Linux (incase you didn't know!)

First of all, hi. As an avid GNU/Linux man I've been trying to compile Simba for linux for a while. At present it seems that the windows build is more stable and runs fine under wine anyway; so, hopefully this will be useful for anyone, specifically people wanting to use Simba for OSR.

Okay...

1. Download WINE

- WINE (or Wine Is Not an Emulator) is a program for running windows programs. It works surprisingly well and should meet most of your Simba needs. You should be able to download it on any linux distribution via terminal or a software center. Usually the package will be called wine. (For me, the command on gentoo would be sudo emerge -a wine, but debian based nix' should just be sudo apt-get install wine. You also want to grab winetricks! (should be similar in procedure)

2. Download JRE8(x86/32bit)
    http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/ja...s-2133155.html

3. Download Simba
    - Grab the latest stable from wizzup.org/simba

4. Create a Wine Prefix and installing Java/Simba
    - Okay, so you'll want to use this command: WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=~/Path/to/where/you/want/Simba winetricks corefonts
    - ^^ This will install all the core MS fonts, I usually install it just to be safe

- There's a few additional steps for jre8, but it works now (tested on wine-staging 2.13).
    WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=~/Path/to/where/you/want/Simba winetricks winxp
    WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=~/Path/to/where/you/want/Simba winetricks --no-isolate ie8
    WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=~/Path/to/where/you/want/Simba winetricks win7

- Then you want to do this command: WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=~/Path/to/where/you/want/Simba wine ~/Downloads/NAMEOFJRE8.exe
    - ^^ This will install jre8 into the wineprefix we created, with a 32bit architecture. Now, on with installing Simba!

- Likewise, this command will install Simba: WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=~/Path/to/where/you/want/Simba wine ~/Downloads/SimbaInstaller.exe
    - Just install to C:\Simba, should be good to go!

5. Configuring Simba

- Okay, you probably want to make a script at /usr/bin/simba to make opening simba a lot easier. It'll also get rid of the console that comes up when you open it.
    - Do so: sudo nano /usr/bin/simba (replace nano with the text editor of your choice )
    - Then, put this in the file:
    #! /bin/bash
    WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=~/Path/to/where/you/want/Simba wine ~/Path/to/where/you/want/Simba/drive_c/Simba/Simba.exe

- Now, make it executable: sudo chmod a+x /usr/bin/simba
    ^^ this makes it so you can simply run the command simba to start botting.

-- So, run simba
    - Then go view > extensions on the toolbar, and enable srl, extensions and dtm_editor(useful if you're making scripts with DTMs)
    - Go to view > extensions menu
    - Now, check for updates on all of the Extensions, SRL, SPS and Plugins menus
    - Once done, proceed!

Upgrading Simba (for AeroLib 2.0)
    - Grab the latest successful build from https://github.com/MerlijnWajer/Simba/releases. You only need the 32bit windows executable, the installer is not necessary.
    - Make sure you've updated extensions, plugins, SRL and SPS from the old Simba first.
    - Rename the old Simba to Simba_old.exe or whatever (useful for scripting with the extensions, they have been removed in 1.2)
    - Rename the new Simba to Simba.exe in the Simba dir.

I've decided to remove the Aerolib/reflection parts, since times are a' changing.
    Check out AeroLib here:
    https://villavu.com/forum/showthread.php?t=108953

And Reflection here:
    https://villavu.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=661

Now, you should be good to go!

EDIT: Useful tips:

If you want to get rid of those pesky SMART Files coming up in /home, then run winetricks on your prefix and go to change settings > tick sandbox. Also, unlinking the libraries in winecfg may do the same thing.

With wine-staging and lib32-gtk3, gtk theming is now possible as well (go to staging tab in winecfg, select
    the gtk3 option!)

Another one, put your scripts in different folders for different characters. I've had much less pairing problems with SMART this way.

Now, good luck!
    Last edited by anth_; 08-07-2017 at 11:47 AM. Reason: Updated for jre8
    Yer a wizard, 'oopi

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    495 Post(s)

Simple and easy to follow, great work mate.

New to scripting? Procedures & Functions for Beginners
    Do you use your computer at night? Just get f.lux

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    176 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Incurable View Post
    Simple and easy to follow, great work mate.
    It would be preferable to have a native build working with plugins, but we shouldn't push @Wizzup?
    Yer a wizard, 'oopi

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Quoted
    596 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by anth_ View Post
    It would be preferable to have a native build working with plugins, but we shouldn't push @Wizzup?
    You are free to do work on Simba yourself, and send pull-requests. Most of the developers have little-to-no sparetime to work on Simba, some just wants a break. Tho, I don't think there should be that much work in order to fix up the issues there is with Simba, at least so that it works nicely with some distros. Most of the functionality already exists, some stuff might just need a rewrite, like the "targeting"-window.

Plugins are written by third partys, Simba developers (in general) has nothing to do with these. To have every normally used plugin working on Linux you will have to either compile them yourself (and to the needed changes), or convince the developer.

Any questions on how to get started on developing Simba can be answered at IRC: Simba@Rizon, and it's pretty streight forward.. just need to grab the source, and the correct version of Lazarus.
    Last edited by slacky; 08-14-2015 at 12:06 AM.
    !No priv. messages please

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    176 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by slacky View Post
    You are free to do work on Simba yourself, and send pull-requests. Most of the developers have little-to-no sparetime to work on Simba, some just wants a break. Tho, I don't think there should be that much work in order to fix up the issues there is with Simba, at least so that it works nicely with some distros. Most of the functionality already exists, some stuff might just need a rewrite, like the "targeting"-window.

Plugins are written by third partys, Simba developers (in general) has nothing to do with these. To have every normally used plugin working on Linux you will have to either compile them yourself (and to the needed changes), or convince the developer.

Any questions on how to get started on developing Simba can be answered at IRC: Simba@Rizon, and it's pretty streight forward.. just need to grab the source, and the correct version of Lazarus.
    Yeah, as one fairly inexperienced to pascal/java myself, I wouldn't know where to start - it's understandable though.

I had enough of fpc; I finally got simba compiled on 2.6.4 after playing around for a while and then got an access violation straight away after hours of symlinking. I'm happy with wine for the moment, but someone else can go for it
    Yer a wizard, 'oopi

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)

Error: Access violation
    Compiling failed.
    were i put Simba/Includes/Reflection/lib/misc/Misc.simba?
    solved

Mentioned
    146 Post(s)
    Quoted
    130 Post(s)

Well, the fist part will be fixing the autobuilds for Linux. I hope to do that relatively soon. (Week or so, tops)

The best way to contact me is by email, which you can find on my website: http://wizzup.org
    I also get email notifications of private messages, though.

Simba (on Twitter | Group on Villavu | Website | Stable/Unstable releases
    Documentation | Source | Simba Bug Tracker on Github and Villavu )

My (Blog | Website)

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    176 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wizzup? View Post
    Well, the fist part will be fixing the autobuilds for Linux. I hope to do that relatively soon. (Week or so, tops)
    Well, you're the magician here!

I don't know if it was archlinux specific, but I had quite a bit of trouble trying to compile it. Cheers.
    Yer a wizard, 'oopi

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    176 Post(s)

Woohoo! I finally got rid of those pesky SMART files coming up in my /home...
    Yer a wizard, 'oopi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Thanks for the advice...I didn't have to do half of this to make it work but thanks again

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    176 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OneWish View Post
    Thanks for the advice...I didn't have to do half of this to make it work but thanks again
    Well, just my personal findings. If this helps people, I'm happy
    Yer a wizard, 'oopi

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    220 Post(s)

nice tut bro, any idea why Lubuntu runs so slow on a virtual machine for me?

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    176 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jstemper View Post
    nice tut bro, any idea why Lubuntu runs so slow on a virtual machine for me?
    I'm not quite sure mate, I'm not too accustomed to VMs -- could it be due to your allocated RAM/GPU?

I've looked into running a windows VM on a seperate graphics card (It runs something like 95-100% compared to running natively) but in regards to linux I'm not quite sure. Both Lubuntu/Xubuntu are fairly speedy!

Are you using virtualbox?
    Yer a wizard, 'oopi

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    220 Post(s)

I'm not quite sure mate, I'm not too accustomed to VMs -- could it be due to your allocated RAM/GPU?

I've looked into running a windows VM on a seperate graphics card (It runs something like 95-100% compared to running natively) but in regards to linux I'm not quite sure. Both Lubuntu/Xubuntu are fairly speedy!

Are you using virtualbox?
    yeah virtual box man, sad to say it runs slow as hell. But my cpu usage is still fairly low

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    176 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jstemper View Post
    yeah virtual box man, sad to say it runs slow as hell. But my cpu usage is still fairly low
    Are you trying to bot on a lubuntu VM? I'd recommend either sticking with native windows/native linux instead unless you've got a fairly beefy pc -- But I'm not sure why it runs slower as well. Maybe try another distro and see if that does the trick?
    Yer a wizard, 'oopi

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1869 Post(s)

Things in virtual machines run slow for (usually) one or more of the following reasons

1) The resources allocated to the VM (CPU cores, amount of memory) are too piddly to run an operating system.
    2) A VM's hardware acceleration sucks. So if what you're doing is in any way related to your graphics card, it's going to be slow, unless you do fancy stuff like a KVM passthrough.
    3) Your PC as a whole is not fit for use as a virtualization rig. Running a guest OS is a lot of work, and your computer might not have the muscle needed to get the job done.
    Last edited by KeepBotting; 12-15-2015 at 02:23 PM.
    GitLab projects | Simba 1.4 | Find me on IRC or Discord | ScapeRune scripts | Come play bot ScapeRune!

<BenLand100> we're just in the transitional phase where society reclassifies guns as Badâ„¢ before everyone gets laser pistols

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)

I've gone all up to the point of actually running my scripts, but SMART won't spawn. Any idea on how to get past this issue?

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    176 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Senbonzakura View Post
    I've gone all up to the point of actually running my scripts, but SMART won't spawn. Any idea on how to get past this issue?
    Have you grabbed jre7?
    Yer a wizard, 'oopi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Thanks for the tutorial!
    It worked out for me.

The allfonts didnt work for me (some font urls are down) so I ran wintricks --gui and downloaded most microsoft ones.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Great work. Appreciate it, thanks.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    176 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thr0wback View Post
    Thanks for the tutorial!
    It worked out for me.

The allfonts didnt work for me (some font urls are down) so I ran wintricks --gui and downloaded most microsoft ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by eve View Post
    Great work. Appreciate it, thanks.
    You're welcome!
    Yer a wizard, 'oopi

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

I'm getting performance issues. FPS is terrible doubt I could run an accurate bot with 13 fps. Do you know how I can improve the fps? I get much better performance with the Hikari Client.
    Last edited by Nito; 04-03-2017 at 01:33 AM.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    176 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nito View Post
    I'm getting performance issues. FPS is terrible doubt I could run an accurate bot with 13 fps. Do you know how I can improve the fps? I get much better performance with the Hikari Client.
    Not sure, I usually get the max fps of whatever I'm running. What distro are you using? (sorry for the late reply)

Anyways, I'll be updating this soon as a Linux/WINE guide, going to be doing a bit of testing.

First of accord will be WINE; looking at the CMST/d3d9 patchsets; a few tweaks here and there; and then for Linux:

- Compiling/running Simba/Smart
    - Running seperate Xofg instances for individual bots
    - Using qemu/kvm for native hardware virtualisation
    - OR use of lightweight containers (docker/alpine linux, lxd?) to do the job more efficiently.
    - Making glibc/musl static binaries for simba since there's no native build (might have to patch/fork/fix stuff in simba)

Something like that anyway!
    Yer a wizard, 'oopi

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    176 Post(s)

Updated guide for jre8!
    Yer a wizard, 'oopi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

I cannot load SMART when running
    program new;
    {$define SMART} //If not using SMART, then comment this line out
    {$I SRL/OSR.simba}
    {$I RSWalker/Walker.simba}

begin
    clearDebug();
    srl.Setup([]);
    end.
    as per the guide here

I get this error
    [FATAL]: Failed to setup SMART
    Successfully executed.
    even though I installed jdk-8u201-windows-i586.exe with no issues

Edit: I also installed the JRE and it still doesn't load SMART.. Not sure what the problem is because I followed this process exactly. I also remember getting this error on my Windows PC at home but I'm not sure exactly if it was a SMART error. Can anyone point out some suggestions why SMART won't load?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information