Poll: How does OpenGL work for you? (v2)

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How does OpenGL work for you? (v2)

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Quoted
    296 Post(s)

Default How does OpenGL work for you? (v2)

June 6th, 2016 edit: we have a new question about your FPS experience, see this post and follow the instructions to contribute!

Recently @Clarity;, @Ross;, and myself have put a lot of work into making OGL better. From adding SRL compatibility, to trying to reduce lag, to completely changing coding styles, etc.

We primarily want people who suffered from slow performance prior.

Firstly, we want your opinion on it's speed, FPS, etc.

This requires the newest ogLib.

Put your layout into Old School.

Run this.

Simba Code:
    program new;
    {$i ogLib/lib/core/core.simba}  

begin
      ogl.setup([800,600],[0,0,576,388]);
      ogl.setDebugMode(2);
      repeat
        wait(1000);
      until false;
    end.

Enable Debug.

If your models don't line up, stop and rerun it. You'll get a graphics error when stopping - that's fixed and awaiting an update, DW.

Let it sit for a bit.

How does performance hold up? Try pressing alt+` (the button next to your 1) and typing displayfps.
    Last edited by Clarity; 06-06-2016 at 05:03 AM.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    433 Post(s)

On my computer my performance hits 9 FPS after 5 minutes. I teleported once to add to it.

Currently have debug enabled.

E: Its still usable, but noticeable lag. So, it technically works... :P

I also have a decent computer, not a crappy one. But apparently its not good enough to deal with the plugin.
    Last edited by StickToTheScript; 10-22-2015 at 03:29 AM.

Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1068 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by StickToTheScript View Post
    On my computer my performance hits 9 FPS after 5 minutes. I teleported once to add to it.

Currently have debug enabled.

E: Its still usable, but noticeable lag. So, it technically works... :P

I also have a decent computer, not a crappy one. But apparently its not good enough to deal with the plugin.
    Specs? Using the latest ogLib, starting SMART in OGL?
    Last edited by Clarity; 10-22-2015 at 03:46 AM.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    433 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Clarity View Post
    Specs? Using the latest ogLib, starting SMART in OGL?
    Yes to all of those.

AMD FX-6300 @ 3.5GHz
    XFX Radeon HD 7950 3 GB
    8 GB of DDR33-1600 Ram (2x4GB)
    Windows 10

Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1068 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by StickToTheScript View Post
    Yes to all of those.

AMD FX-6300 @ 3.5GHz
    XFX Radeon HD 7950 3 GB
    8 GB of DDR33-1600 Ram (2x4GB)
    Windows 10
    Does your FPS start at around 9 immediately, or around 30-40 and hit 9 after 5 minutes?

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    433 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Clarity View Post
    Does your FPS start at around 9 immediately, or around 30-40 and hit 9 after 5 minutes?
    It starts at approx. 31, then drops to close to 15 with debug off and not moving.

E:

THats standing still after 25 seconds of login.

2 mins after login, Standing still in GE:
    Last edited by StickToTheScript; 10-22-2015 at 04:12 AM.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Quoted
    226 Post(s)

Getting 24 fps as soon as I start it, but it stays that way. Been running Ross's runespan for hours tho at 38 fps. Sadly I never used older versions of the plugin/library, so I cant compare improvements.

i7-3632QM 2.2GHz
    GeForce 640M 2GB
    6 GB DDR3 RAM
    Windows 10

EDIT: Left the Runespan to the wizards tower, and fps dropped to 7 with debug on, 24 with debug off

Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1068 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fady View Post
    Getting 24 fps as soon as I start it, but it stays that way. Been running Ross's runespan for hours tho at 38 fps. Sadly I never used older versions of the plugin/library, so I cant compare improvements.

i7-3632QM 2.2GHz
    GeForce 640M 2GB
    6 GB DDR3 RAM
    Windows 10

EDIT: Left the Runespan to the wizards tower, and fps dropped to 7 with debug on, 24 with debug off
    The FPS with debug is less relevant, it will always be a bit lower - glad to know that you have reasonable FPS steadily however.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    141 Post(s)

The FPS for me stays right around 20 with debug on, it'll hop up to 25 sometimes. I started in Varrock and teled to Falador and I'm mining that buried chest thing in Falador park. So far it's working great and I've been doing it for about 15 minutes.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    256 Post(s)

Works for me just fine, unless I re-log. Sometimes i'll log back in and it'll be perfectly fine, but other times i'll log back in and the FPS will be stuck at 10.

It's random, it'll happen when I've only ran the script for 10 minutes and it somehow logs out, or it'll happen after 10 different relogs in a 24 hour period.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

I made a simple script for OpenGL, and ran it for a couple hours, It starts out fine at 30+ FPS, but over time it slows down and after 30mins or so I had to restart the client. I did this a couple times, and it managed to maintain a decent FPS for over an hour before I stopped botting for the day. Maybe it was downloading the cache.
    Could leaving the debug cause the game to gradually drop in FPS, because I had it enabled in my script but not on the client.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

I think I know the reason for the fps drops:
    GLX uses a vector to store OpenGL Buffer objects (see here https://github.com/Brandon-T/GLX/blo...ctures.cpp#L26)
    and walks it for every model render in the current frame (see here https://github.com/Brandon-T/GLX/blo...tures.cpp#L173)
    this vector can grow enormously huge (up to 10k until buffer objects get deleted). every frame has about 400 models on average... thats a worst case of 4 million loops per frame.
    (same thing with fonts although with a lesser impact)
    solutions: use a hashmap.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quoted
    166 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jaybob View Post
    GLX uses a vector to store OpenGL Buffer objects (see here https://github.com/Brandon-T/GLX/blo...ctures.cpp#L26)
    and walks it for every model render in the current frame (see here https://github.com/Brandon-T/GLX/blo...tures.cpp#L173)
    this vector can grow enormously huge (up to 10k until buffer objects get deleted). every frame has about 400 models on average... thats a worst case of 4 million loops per frame.
    @Brandon;

Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Quoted
    580 Post(s)

iirc the entire buffer is freed right after the hooked SwapBuffers (or rather right before it exits). it is emptied and freed every frame.
    Last edited by Kasi; 02-16-2016 at 02:11 AM.

Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Quoted
    364 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TSN View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasi View Post
    Dw about it, magic is happening.

Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Quoted
    580 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ross View Post
    Dw about it, magic is happening.
    Nice teaser man.

Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Quoted
    364 Post(s)

Nice teaser man.
    Nice title change D:

Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Quoted
    580 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ross View Post
    Nice title change D:
    The respect on these forums is abysmal. No decency to even tell me about my title change. Meh, still beats OpenGL Dev.

Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Quoted
    364 Post(s)

The respect on these forums is abysmal. No decency to even tell me about my title change. Meh, still beats OpenGL Dev.
    Repped

Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1598 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TSN View Post

TLDR: Give up on the plugin. It's there for learning purposes only (and legacy tutorials that are still very relevant as they describe how the game works & renders) and soon I'll probably get rid of it on my git once and for all (so long as there's a replacement and/or time to write a clean new one).

He's right (and that was the reason I had to iterate the buffer backwards to get the last buffers first but that causes many issues so I removed it). Although he's right, he's half right. The plugin was written WITHOUT std::unordered_map (aka HashMap) because it simply did NOT exist before C++11 and C++14 and Mingw's support for it was horrible. Nonetheless, even the include is bad (it's pure PascalScript and copying).

The plugin doesn't use Move-Constructors either or perfect forwarding. Over the years, I did change some things with the update to the language but couldn't get rid of a lot (I did minor patches for map rendering and minimized storage and usage by deleting at the end of the frame and shrinking the vectors' capacities) but those updates didn't get rid of vector because there was no better alternative at the time (std::map is way too slow and std::vector of std::tuple would be equally slow).

Things like textures use a map (as of the most recent patches): https://github.com/Brandon-T/GLX/blo...tures.cpp#L301 but it's a multi-map of tuples: https://github.com/Brandon-T/GLX/blo...ctures.cpp#L22

Most of the slowdown is actually from fonts (which was the hardest thing to come up with an algorithm for.. So hard, that Kasi & I spent nights on finding the algorithm for it).. Each letter is stored and sent to Simba and there wasn't really a way to NOT store it or to determine what to delete other than letting the client handle it). After the massive amount of patches, I just gave up on it. Would be much easier to just rewrite it from scratch tbh. The code is only still on my Git for legacy purposes and the multitude of tutorials based on it (that are still very much relevant) on this site and others.

But anyway, let's not forget that there are NEW ways to handle things with C++11, C++14, C++17 and different ways to handle fonts, textures, and models. Specifically (Found & written around mid 2015 in preparation for NXT): https://villavu.com/forum/showthread...38#post1329338
    Last edited by Brandon; 02-16-2016 at 02:42 AM.
    I am Ggzz..
    Hackintosher

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    95 Post(s)

The OpenGL plugin, and the corresponding library, are both fantastic. I have just come back to RS after being away for a year and it's fantastic to see that the work I had done a year ago still worked perfectly(even better most of the functions I wrote are now in the library.)

The speed is fine, I run my bots at 1920x1080 so that I can get a large screen space to work with(usefuly for some scripts where you want to see a large area at once. But 1920x1080 at low settings on an old computer with no performance hickups for long 10+ hour sessions. Everything is stable compared to last year with the 100s of access violations

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

OpenGL destroys my frames. I'll launch RS and be at 50FPS for a solid 20ish minutes and after that it all goes downhill.

Heres a fresh screenshot from 1h of clarityburialarmour *There are no other programs running or clients* eQYvB8a.png

SPECS
    Intel i5 quadcore @ 3.3
    8gb ram
    Windforce r9 290 3gb

send help please.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hodor123 View Post
    OpenGL destroys my frames. I'll launch RS and be at 50FPS for a solid 20ish minutes and after that it all goes downhill.

Heres a fresh screenshot from 1h of clarityburialarmour *There are no other programs running or clients* eQYvB8a.png

SPECS
    Intel i5 quadcore @ 3.3
    8gb ram
    Windforce r9 290 3gb

send help please.
    Yes I notice this too. I usually restart my simba client after 10 hours or so. The thing is that whenever i switch worlds on rs3 it gets worse. If im on the same world its good.
    EDIT: You could always clear the cache
    Last edited by Lemon star; 03-31-2016 at 06:47 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lemon star View Post
    snip
    How do I clear the cache?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

I used it to make scripts for darkscape and it worked great! It's much easier than color to make scripts with.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information