Thread: Simba vs TopBot (for learning to code)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)

Default Simba vs TopBot (for learning to code)

Hello everyone, I used to be heavily interested in Runescape but have since quit and find the game a bit boring. The only thing I find fun now is botting, and learning how to program.

Here's a bit about me:
    In the beginning I taught myself some basic VB, made a auto clicker etc, auto typer, easy stuff.
    I have self taught myself some basic python after that, just for fun
    Did a intro college course on programming (they used java)
    I did a follow on from the previous course that used c

With that in mind I'm trying to decide which botting program I should invest my time in learning. Even though I have taken 2 classes in programming I'm still not that good at it. But I have experience in java and that is what TopBot uses so I imagine that would be easier than learning pascal/lape

Now, I know im asking on these forums so I'm sure everyone here would prefer Simba to TopBot but what do you guys reckon? Which should I try to learn? I'm finding some of the scripts/tutorials in these forums quite hard to follow with all the various includes such as areolib and all that stuff but im getting there slowly.

Thanks for reading,
    cheers Tog.

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1869 Post(s)

What it comes down to is the community. At SRL, we place learning ahead of macroing (how far ahead depends on who you talk to).

I'm not familiar with TopBot. But most Java bots are a dime-a-dozen, and possess communities centered around making a quick buck, instead of learning.

The means to the end is usually selling the software they create, be that the bot itself or premium scripts/ranks.

But such a focus on money detracts from the learning, and creates a toxic environment where churning out a product that reaches a bottom line is the priority.

It's up to you to decide, this is just my personal take on the distinction between the two types of communities you've listed.
    GitLab projects | Simba 1.4 | Find me on IRC or Discord | ScapeRune scripts | Come play bot ScapeRune!

<BenLand100> we're just in the transitional phase where society reclassifies guns as Badâ„¢ before everyone gets laser pistols

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quoted
    231 Post(s)

This community is dedicated to learning to code.

Topbot's is dedicated to botting.

If your end goal is to bot, flip a coin.

If your end goal is to learn to code then you're in the right place.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KeepBotting View Post
    What it comes down to is the community. At SRL, we place learning ahead of macroing (how far ahead depends on who you talk to).

I'm not familiar with TopBot. But most Java bots are a dime-a-dozen, and possess communities centered around making a quick buck, instead of learning.

The means to the end is usually selling the software they create, be that the bot itself or premium scripts/ranks.

But such a focus on money detracts from the learning, and creates a toxic environment where churning out a product that reaches a bottom line is the priority.

It's up to you to decide, this is just my personal take on the distinction between the two types of communities you've listed.

I agree with what you've said for sure, that sort of environment would be a breeding ground for a bit of toxicity, especially with people stealing code and such. Thanks for sharing your opinion!

Quote Originally Posted by Camel View Post
    This community is dedicated to learning to code.

Topbot's is dedicated to botting.

If your end goal is to bot, flip a coin.

If your end goal is to learn to code then you're in the right place.

Yea, also the fact I'd have to install a program that could potentially be back-doored/could become back-doored later on is looking less and less appealing as times goes on. lol. And yep! villavu seems like the place to be

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Simba is very good for learning, but sometimes information here can be hard to find and you have to figure a lot of things by yourself (I spent around 3 hours just to figure out how to do some basic things in reflection, when I started with oglib in darkscape it took me like 10 hours to write my first script, a simple fly fishing bot). I don't know topbot, the only other bot I used was rsbot ages ago, but I didn't script for it, just leeched scripts, but simba is amazing, I'm using the reflection include in osrs, it's a big step to learn, but once you get it it becomes very easy to make a lot of things.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    130 Post(s)

I have a Java background (Android development), but I'll still go with Simba. For example this thread I've made yesterday. You can see how helpful everybody is. There are a lot of people that you can PM (me included) to ask for help, or just start a thread. I know it's hard starting a new language but just give it some time!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)

I'm a scripter for topbot and I can say the community is not good if you wish to learn to code. It is a goldfarming community and you will very rarely get feedback on your scripts.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    85 Post(s)

So I have used tribot, rsbot, epicbot, and srl. RSbot/powerbot uses java but i found writing bot scripts in java to be a pain in the ass, the community was also not that friendly. Tripbot had a decent community but found grasping the code base to be difficult. epicbot was toxic, and didn't do any learning there. To end my point, this I found to be the best and most helpful community. Been using it for about past 3 years, with few bans. Learning a new language and playing around with the scripts was fun too.

Thread Information