Thread: How do you make programming more appealing to those who are intimidated?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    131 Post(s)

Default How do you make programming more appealing to those who are intimidated?

I tried to code once with Eclipse because I have an idea for an app, then I got intimidated by how hard it was to find the features I needed to make the app work, or even understand what was required for it to work.

How do we make programming more appealing to the average Joe who has a creative idea that he/she wants to output? I imagine there's a few people here who think coding should be reserved for the elite lol.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quoted
    505 Post(s)

If they want to do it, they'll do it. There are tons of resources out there for anyone who wants to learn.
    It's no different from learning to do anything else; you just have to do it.

Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1598 Post(s)

There is no elite in programming. Once you get over that thought, you'll learn it. It's a thought process.

Once you learn ONE programming language, it's usually fairly easy to learn any others.
    I am Ggzz..
    Hackintosher

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    131 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Citrus View Post
    If they want to do it, they'll do it. There are tons of resources out there for anyone who wants to learn.
    It's no different from learning to do anything else; you just have to do it.
    Thanks for that - which website would you recommend above others? I've heard codeacademy is good? I know there's a lot out there, it's just hard finding quality resources given my relatively limited time ha.

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1869 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kiwikiwi View Post
    Thanks for that - which website would you recommend above others? I've heard codeacademy is good? I know there's a lot out there, it's just hard finding quality resources given my relatively limited time ha.
    (Warning - Language)

http://programming-motherfucker.com/

This is a serious suggestion, Progmofo is a large directory of resources, books, and tutorials for many languages.
    GitLab projects | Simba 1.4 | Find me on IRC or Discord | ScapeRune scripts | Come play bot ScapeRune!

<BenLand100> we're just in the transitional phase where society reclassifies guns as Badâ„¢ before everyone gets laser pistols

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    322 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
    There is no elite in programming. Once you get over that thought, you'll learn it. It's a thought process.

Once you learn ONE programming language, it's usually fairly easy to learn any others.
    Definitely this.

Best way to learn is to not be intimidated and just dive in. StackOverflow and Google are good places to go to look for examples or help when you are lost/stuck, especially if you are using Java/Python/C variants.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I suggest learning from something not so fancy like Eclipse. Personally, I use something like emacs or even nano to program in. The less overwhelming something looks the easier it is to get into.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    341 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KeepBotting View Post
    (Warning - Language)

http://programming-motherfucker.com/

This is a serious suggestion, Progmofo is a large directory of resources, books, and tutorials for many languages.
    thankyou!

<------------------>

Thread Information