Thread: 4tb ssd <$500

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Quoted
    624 Post(s)

Default 4tb ssd <$500

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computi...-terabyte-ssd/

The day of buying hard drives is almost gone
    The only true authority stems from knowledge, not from position.

You can contact me via matrix protocol: @grats:grats.win or you can email me at the same domain, any user/email address.

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1869 Post(s)

HDDs are infinitely more reparable though. Data recovery from a failed SSD is nigh impossible.
    GitLab projects | Simba 1.4 | Find me on IRC or Discord | ScapeRune scripts | Come play bot ScapeRune!

<BenLand100> we're just in the transitional phase where society reclassifies guns as Badâ„¢ before everyone gets laser pistols

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quoted
    180 Post(s)

Which is why you have a several TB slave drive for backups.
    Away for awhile, life is keeping me busy. | Want to get my attention in a thread? @Kyle Undefined; me.
    { MSI Phoenix || SRL Stats Sigs || Paste || Scripts || Quotes || Graphics }

When posting a bug, please post debug! Help us, help you!

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code. || To be the best, you've got to beat the rest. || Logic never changes, just the syntax.
    If you PM me with a stupid question or one listed in FAQ, or about a script that is not mine, I will NOT respond.

SRL is a Library of routines made by the SRL community written for the Program Simba. We produce Scripts for the game Runescape.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quoted
    588 Post(s)

Do you have any thoughts on 3D XPoint?

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/...led-video.html
    I've only recently heard about it, seems to be potential thing inbetween the current ram & ssd in terms of performance and price (slower than ram and more expensive than SSDs, but vice versa also, cheaper than ram and faster than SSDs). Probs far too early to say much about it but this seems like a relevant thread to bring it up in so w.e =]

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Quoted
    624 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by acow View Post
    Do you have any thoughts on 3D XPoint?

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/...led-video.html
    I've only recently heard about it, seems to be potential thing inbetween the current ram & ssd in terms of performance and price (slower than ram and more expensive than SSDs, but vice versa also, cheaper than ram and faster than SSDs). Probs far too early to say much about it but this seems like a relevant thread to bring it up in so w.e =]
    First time intel has done something innovative.. like.. ever. That's my thought about it

Quote Originally Posted by KeepBotting View Post
    HDDs are infinitely more reparable though. Data recovery from a failed SSD is nigh impossible.
    repairable.. sure.. but 99% of people don't do that

and backup your data..

You can contact me via matrix protocol: @grats:grats.win or you can email me at the same domain, any user/email address.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quoted
    620 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KeepBotting View Post
    Doesn't it go read only then lasts a few thousand reads before it dies fully?
    #slack4admin2016
    <slacky> I will build a wall
    <slacky> I will ban reflection and OGL hooking until we know what the hell is going on

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    341 Post(s)

Woah. I'm still using 128-256 SSD cards... easy to organise.

Main OS on a 128 - Externals for most of the other Junk... I have multiple copies of almost everything; including on friends HDDs.

<------------------>

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1869 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by grats View Post
    repairable.. sure.. but 99% of people don't do that

and backup your data..
    I've repaired several hard drives. Bad platters, fried logic boards, it's not that hard to crack open the housing and replace components.

If all else fails, the freezer method can usually resurrect a hard drive long enough to pull your important data off. After going through that, though, it's probably toast.

Of course backups are good too

Quote Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
    Unsure. That'd be really cool, though. I don't think you can boot from a read-only filesystem but you could surely pop it out of the machine and put in an external bay to pull the data off.
    GitLab projects | Simba 1.4 | Find me on IRC or Discord | ScapeRune scripts | Come play bot ScapeRune!

<BenLand100> we're just in the transitional phase where society reclassifies guns as Badâ„¢ before everyone gets laser pistols

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Quoted
    624 Post(s)

Yea, if you're using a good operating system..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)

I've recently just upgraded my 120gb ssd boot drive to a 500gb, bought it for $190 AUD considering I bought the 120gb only a year or 2 before for about $120 ssd prices are dropping

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    64 Post(s)

I know I'm a bit late but wow, that's great. Can't wait to replace my 1tb secondary with an ssd soon.

I dont know in front of my window is a wall
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)

for what do you need 4 TB of ssd speed ? why not a raid with some hdds is maybe as fast as the ssds for that money and you can recover your data if one is lost

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    256 Post(s)

Wouldn't get your hopes up with this, and this guy explains why pretty well https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_tFt_X57Ik#

All this SSD is, is a bunch of 1Tb drives connected to each other to look like one drive, and because of that you lose quite a bit of performance.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Quoted
    624 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by klopfie View Post
    for what do you need 4 TB of ssd speed ? why not a raid with some hdds is maybe as fast as the ssds for that money and you can recover your data if one is lost
    for what would you need raided HDDs for when you can just have an SSD?

Quote Originally Posted by Twinki View Post
    Wouldn't get your hopes up with this, and this guy explains why pretty well https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_tFt_X57Ik#

All this SSD is, is a bunch of 1Tb drives connected to each other to look like one drive, and because of that you lose quite a bit of performance.
    didn't watch video, but all SSDs are a bunch of NANDs connected together.. that's how solid state memory works.... how it has always worked.....
    these are two 2TB drives connected together, not a bunch of 1tb, and internally it's smaller than that, HDDs are a bunch of platters as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

i have a samsung 840. good brand

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

This 13c / GB got me excited until I saw it wasn't out. Lol I doubt we will suddenly be able to increase our current SSDs by 16x for such a cheap price. Going rate for SSD is probably about 25-30c/GB. This price tag will be like the Oculus Rift all over again. We'll all be shocked and complain when it launches at 80c/GB.

I'm pretty sure it's the writes you can do to the SSD that is noticeably less than HDD, the reads you can do before failure is supposedly ridiculously high.

I found some guy claiming,
    "To go over the writes limit, you have to do something like 5GB of writes a day for 5 years.

Go SSD, once you do you won't go back.

And don't baby it, use it for what it's for: speedy reads!"
    -foscooter
    from http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/28...-number-writes

From personal experience my SSD has lasted a few years and my speed hasn't degraded at all. Only thing I recall that degrades performance, still won't be as bad as HDD, is if you fill the SSD up past like 80% capacity.

Thread Information