Thread: Drinking problem

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    109 Post(s)

Default Drinking problem

Cheers,

damn, i gotta admit, i perhaps have a problem. As of this moment, i drunk a fuck. And i cannot stop. Once i have a one drink, i will continue to the bitter end. this has been on going issue since the last couple of years. i've been lying to my self that it's only weekend 'funny'-drinking. but its not. i want to stop. what can i do? every friday after work all i can think of is the next fix. shit.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    71 Post(s)

You aren't allowed to post on the forums under the influence.

On another note though, simply stop. It's hard to stop with addictions. You just have to put your mind to it. The hardest part is admitting to yourself that you have a problem. Once you are able to do so you can proceed to do something about it.

When I was younger I used to do something a lot, but once I just set my mind to it I was able to quit. Now I haven't done it for well over 6 months. And it feels good once you are clean of it.
    Feel free to ask me any questions, I will do my best to answer them!

Previously known as YouPee.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    109 Post(s)

I far as i undersood, nota is the place to whine anyhoo, no need to admit anything, i know where the problem is. i just wish i could stop. now.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quoted
    166 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by superuser View Post
    I far as i undersood, nota is the place to whine anyhoo, no need to admit anything, i know where the problem is. i just wish i could stop. now.
    @superuser; While admitting you have a problem is important, wanting to do something about it is even more important (but it has to be purely your own decision). Sometimes relying on willpower alone is not enough; maybe you should look into AA.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quoted
    620 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joopi View Post
    You aren't allowed to post on the forums under the influence.

On another note though, simply stop. It's hard to stop with addictions. You just have to put your mind to it. The hardest part is admitting to yourself that you have a problem. Once you are able to do so you can proceed to do something about it.

When I was younger I used to do something a lot, but once I just set my mind to it I was able to quit. Now I haven't done it for well over 6 months. And it feels good once you are clean of it.
    "Posting Under the Influence:
    It is not allowed to post in any section outside the off-topic category when intoxicated or under severe influence of drugs."
    So this post is perfectly allowed
    #slack4admin2016
    <slacky> I will build a wall
    <slacky> I will ban reflection and OGL hooking until we know what the hell is going on

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quoted
    505 Post(s)

Shit, I wish I had something constructive to say to you
    Maybe there is something 'deeper' going on? I've don't personally enjoy alcohol as a drug, but I've experience with food addiction and money problems during the worst years of my depression. Fixing the depression helped the other issues.
    But maybe that isn't the case for you. I know some people are genetically predisposed to alcohol addiction. Maybe you just need to cut it out entirely.

I think it's a good idea to set up an accountability network. Especially if the other people have gone through exactly what you are experiencing right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Joopi View Post
    I used to do something a lot
    You monster
    Last edited by Citrus; 01-30-2016 at 12:47 AM.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quoted
    365 Post(s)

You're definetly not drunk enough! dat correct spelling.

Now being serious, if you cannot stop it, try smoking pot or something in order to switch to a less problematic addiction and well.. then you'll see

Edit: Im such a good influence on people, great advices.
    Formerly known as Undorak7

Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1068 Post(s)

Don't be to hard on yourself. The first step is realizing and admitting that you have a problem - many people go years and years without accomplishing this.

What do your friends or coworkers think (if they go out with you and see you in action)? Can you confide in some about your concerns?

Recognize, however, that the brain can also be comforted by a remote, future intention of doing something. Thoughts like "I need to do something about this...sometime soon" and "Wow, this is an issue...I'll get started on fixing it as soon as possible" are enough for mental justification. This self-virtue-signaling will trick you into thinking what you're doing is fine for now seeing as you recognize the problem. If you catch yourself with these thoughts, slap them away and actually start doing something right that instant, whether it be putting down your drink, turning around and walking from the liquor store, or leaving the bar (if alone - if with friends, just don't order a drink).

Along the lines of what Citrus said, try to discover exactly what appeals to you about drinking. Do you drink to forget something? Do you drink just to enjoy the feeling of getting drunk? Do you drink to be cool or feel more carefree? Try to narrow down this reason and come up with alternatives.

If you are giving up on alcohol, I would confide in a friend about your plan. They can help you stay true to your promise if you start to fall prey to thoughts like "well...I deserve some tonight, I've had a rough day" or "it won't be that bad - I got this far I can get here again." This, however, does not mean that you should become dependent on your friend and go back to old habits if he or she isn't around.

I think finding the appeal of alcohol is most important for now - and coming up with alternatives. If you truly cannot pinpoint a reason for your drinking habit, then perhaps indeed you simply have a substance addiction. If the latter, your mental strength is paramount and you will need to learn to catch yourself.

Best of luck. Many people are also going through these problems - props to you for admitting and asking for help. You got this man, you're definitely going to turn this around!
    Last edited by Clarity; 01-30-2016 at 01:44 AM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    24 Post(s)

Just need to find out what can work for you to help you stop, you need to want to stop deep down, and no one can say anything to change that. I would try limiting yourself on drinking trying to slowly cut back, and not stop all at once cold turkey.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    328 Post(s)

Alcohol is a tough one. Is it overflowing into your weekdays?

I drink every weekend, I have for the past couple years. Professionally, I work in the high tech industry, however I also pursue my dream and hobby which is DJing. I hold two residencies in my city so I usually play every weekend, sometimes twice.

Really what I'm getting at is: Is it a weekend thing or a weekday thing? Because if you can get through the whole week itself without thinking about getting drunk - you're doing okay.

Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Quoted
    580 Post(s)

Drinking isn't a problem in itself unless it's affecting other parts of your life. if it is doing this then replace it with another hobby. Used to drink alot + close to every night being a student but started doing another drug and rarely if ever drink now.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2739 Post(s)

Local AA meetings might help, or you might prefer Narcotics anonymous (all you have to do is sit and listen, you don't have to sign up or talk, anybody can go). Lot's of different people with different backgrounds tell their story and struggle of how they got clean

Theres always going to be somebody who has it worse than you, if they can do it you can too

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    86 Post(s)

Good luck.

Addictions are tough to escape from. I don't have any advice to give but I hope wishing you well and asking you to consider your future health and happiness will give you some motivation to break the habit.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    341 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kristi View Post
    I too have been down a very very similar journey.. I had been going to NA meetings from a young age.. until one day someone ask me. Why are you here? - probably because i have a head on my shoulders and looked like i was doing alright.

So i never went back... worst decision of my life... took me another 6-7 years to get clean! - when i first got clean i did almost 10 months... no coffee NOT even a ciggy!!

I would suggest going to Alcohol Anonymous - it will give you a chance to see the dead end that alcohol will surely take you too; as there will be users many times your age; drank many times the amount.

Where i am from there are rehabs; which have sober retreats before your allowed to go to rehab. Attending one of these for 10-15 days. So you can firstly break the cycle; and then work out whether it is your friends/foes/family/Ex that has caused this habit forming in the first place.

- There are also smaller group within NA & AA where people usually go out for lunch/dinner etc... this can usually be a great place to find a mentor (somebody who has a few hundred or thousand sober days under their belt (someone you can call at 2am, when your weak and think you need that drink =P) - I still have my milestone key-rings! =D they embarrass the family - but it's not all about them

I don't allow people to drink or smoke dope around me anymore.. unfortunately most of the people i grew up with are either on meth or harry.. They just didn't seek help early on... and now the habits are so inbuilt they think it is apart of them.

- Villavu is actually my personal form of rehab... i have spent the past 2 years reprogramming MY OLD HABITS. Hence why i am not so active anymore.... and i have started to reintegrate back into society. Its a slow progress... But acknowledgment is the first step.

<------------------>

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quoted
    588 Post(s)

^ doesn't know spamming in NOTA doesn't give postcount
    ^ roasting in the wrong thread
    ^ self-roasting
    love me

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    38 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by superuser View Post
    Cheers,

damn, i gotta admit, i perhaps have a problem. As of this moment, i drunk a fuck. And i cannot stop. Once i have a one drink, i will continue to the bitter end. this has been on going issue since the last couple of years. i've been lying to my self that it's only weekend 'funny'-drinking. but its not. i want to stop. what can i do? every friday after work all i can think of is the next fix. shit.
    Take it one day at a time,
    if you can't handle that,
    take it one hour at a time,
    if you can't handle that,
    take it one minute at a time...

And once you can handle it,
    take it one week at a time,
    and one month at a time,
    and one year at a time...

It's simple really, and yet so hard.
    Start stepping and you will get there at your own pace.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Good Luck

Thread Information