Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions for a game to play

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    322 Post(s)

Default Suggestions for a game to play

Been a bit bored lately so I've been looking for a game to play that isn't super hardcore like RS/WoW and can be played casually after I come home from work (also would definitely prefer to avoid RS since it was way too addicting).

Two games I enjoyed to give an idea of what types of games I enjoyed are League of Legends (mostly because games are short, mechanics are not that extreme and the game is still extremely fun after 6 years) and Star Wars: The Old Republic (extremely engaging story).

I'd definitely prefer something with minimal/bottable/no grind, nice story/lore/quest, and some sort of pvp (not totally imbalanced) or good enough bossing/grouping (that doesn't require loads of commitment and doesn't get old fast) if no pvp.

I'm not opposed to buying or subscribing to some games if they could be worth it. Also, I don't want to buy a console so I'm looking for PC suggestions (or 3DS, which I very much doubt has come out with anything but shit; however, I do own one).

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1869 Post(s)

Must be Massively Multiplayer, I assume?

My brother has been raving about Black Desert Online, to me it looks like just another Korean MMO but he claims it does a lot of unique things. Might want to check it out.

Vindictus, on the other hand, really is just another Korean MMO but it has incredibly satisfying combat mechanics. I play it on occasion.
    GitLab projects | Simba 1.4 | Find me on IRC or Discord | ScapeRune scripts | Come play bot ScapeRune!

<BenLand100> we're just in the transitional phase where society reclassifies guns as Badâ„¢ before everyone gets laser pistols

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    328 Post(s)

Just started getting back into Diablo 3 after getting the new expansion. They fixed pretty much everything I hated.

Also still a big fan of Diablo 2 and there is still a decent playerbase there.

Outside of that genre, I only ever play Command & Conquer games, specifically the classics like Yuri's Revenge. GREAT strategy games and very fun.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    322 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KeepBotting View Post
    Must be Massively Multiplayer, I assume?

My brother has been raving about Black Desert Online, to me it looks like just another Korean MMO but he claims it does a lot of unique things. Might want to check it out.

Vindictus, on the other hand, really is just another Korean MMO but it has incredibly satisfying combat mechanics. I play it on occasion.
    If the game has some serious advantages over a multiplayer game, I wouldn't be opposed to single-player suggestions. It's just that most of the single player console games that appealed to me tended to also have multiplayer/online pvp options, most notably pokemon, SSBB, mario kart wii, etc... (I only owned a wii and 3DS/its ancestors).

I'm a bit hesitant to play a korean MMO as they are notorious for their grind (and not to mention insane pay-to-win far above my WTP). Are these two both super grindy? I have heard good things about Vindictus though.

Quote Originally Posted by the bank View Post
    Just started getting back into Diablo 3 after getting the new expansion. They fixed pretty much everything I hated.

Also still a big fan of Diablo 2 and there is still a decent playerbase there.

Outside of that genre, I only ever play Command & Conquer games, specifically the classics like Yuri's Revenge. GREAT strategy games and very fun.
    Thanks for the suggestions.

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1869 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by J_R View Post
    If the game has some serious advantages over a multiplayer game, I wouldn't be opposed to single-player suggestions. It's just that most of the single player console games that appealed to me tended to also have multiplayer/online pvp options, most notably pokemon, SSBB, mario kart wii, etc... (I only owned a wii and 3DS/its ancestors).

I'm a bit hesitant to play a korean MMO as they are notorious for their grind (and not to mention insane pay-to-win far above my WTP). Are these two both super grindy? I have heard good things about Vindictus though.

Thanks for the suggestions.
    Vindictus is grindy at specific points in the game. You'll see periodic (small) gaps of grind between levels 60 through 80. The rest of the game, if you're following the quest line, will be what I guess you could call a "natural XP gain" scenario.

The grind can, however, be augmented by doing group boss raids, PvP, or running quests which give XP rewards.

Vindictus isn't p2w, but there are microtransactions available, stuff like "killed by a boss? pay $0.50 to rez your character outside the boss room instead of running the whole instance again" or "too weak to defeat a boss? pay $1.00 for a 24-hour 200% attack boost (only works in single-player, non-PvP instances)"

Plus the standard cosmetic stuff, pay to recolor your armor etc. Nothing significant is locked behind a paywall.
    Last edited by KeepBotting; 02-08-2016 at 08:13 PM.
    GitLab projects | Simba 1.4 | Find me on IRC or Discord | ScapeRune scripts | Come play bot ScapeRune!

<BenLand100> we're just in the transitional phase where society reclassifies guns as Badâ„¢ before everyone gets laser pistols

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    328 Post(s)

Nothing significant is locked behind a paywall.
    I really appreciate games like this. Its one thing to want to monetize your game, but another to make it so any player with a big enough wallet can conquer everyone else.

I would even argue RS3 takes it too far with the massive possible gains from TH.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    64 Post(s)

I've been playing Blade & Soul here and there, although I'm not sure I can fully recommend it yet. I just looked into Vindictus and it seems solid but I'm gonna look more into it.

Semi hijacked this but I'm in the same boat as OP.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    322 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by the bank View Post
    I really appreciate games like this. Its one thing to want to monetize your game, but another to make it so any player with a big enough wallet can conquer everyone else.

I would even argue RS3 takes it too far with the massive possible gains from TH.
    Yeah RS is definitely pay to win with TH. Another, more obvious facet of RS that is P2W is bonds, although that'd be ultra in-efficient compared to just buying gold illegally.

Quote Originally Posted by Threshold View Post
    I've been playing Blade & Soul here and there, although I'm not sure I can fully recommend it yet. I just looked into Vindictus and it seems solid but I'm gonna look more into it.

Semi hijacked this but I'm in the same boat as OP.
    Would love to hear your opinions on Blade and Soul. Could've sworn I've heard that name before from somewhere. I don't mind if you hijack my thread, as long as the plane is still going to the same destination

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1869 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by J_R View Post
    I don't mind if you hijack my thread, as long as the plane is still going to the same destination
    o_O

That was kinda ... dark

Let me know if you decide on Vindictus, I can give you some help in the earlier stages if need be

I'm "FullAuto" on that game

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    64 Post(s)

Just pre-ordered black desert.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    109 Post(s)

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1869 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by superuser View Post
    smb
    Samba?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    109 Post(s)

Samba?
    Noob. Super Mario Bros.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    35 Post(s)

i know it is sometimes over-stated but when I do get bored of Runescape. CS:GO and League of Legends are my goto games to kill time. They can be actually really really fun to play especially with some mates.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Diablo 3

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

I highly recommend Warframe if you like action games. You're basically in endgame within a week of playing the game and there is no reason to farm rank or anything in the game. You can just sit back and play missions you enjoy. There are defense missions, survival, capture a target, a 4 way capture the hill called interception, and a bunch of other things. You have armor that has special abilities and you have guns and melee weapons to use in the game. To top all that off, voice chat is integrated in the game so many people have mics and you can just talk to people in any particular game which is so much more immersive than typing stuff out. It won't make you feel alone like in RS and wow. Once someone hears you're a new player you'll have a game full of best friends trying to help you out. A very great community is waiting for ya

Have you looked into Albion? It is just coming out and I just mentioned it in another thread on here. It may be worth considering especially if you like runescape

D3 is great but it doesn't feel immersive enough for my preferences.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Suisyola View Post
    I highly recommend Warframe if you like action games. You're basically in endgame within a week of playing the game and there is no reason to farm rank or anything in the game. You can just sit back and play missions you enjoy. There are defense missions, survival, capture a target, a 4 way capture the hill called interception, and a bunch of other things. You have armor that has special abilities and you have guns and melee weapons to use in the game. To top all that off, voice chat is integrated in the game so many people have mics and you can just talk to people in any particular game which is so much more immersive than typing stuff out. It won't make you feel alone like in RS and wow. Once someone hears you're a new player you'll have a game full of best friends trying to help you out. A very great community is waiting for ya

Have you looked into Albion? It is just coming out and I just mentioned it in another thread on here. It may be worth considering especially if you like runescape

D3 is great but it doesn't feel immersive enough for my preferences.
    Isn't warframe still in beta???

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

I've been drifting away from League after the new season and found CS:GO quite fun, especially if you can get a couple of friends to play too. It's a pain to get to rank 3 but the competitive matches are the main part of the game, and you can ether play it seriously and try to improve or just for fun and enjoy randomly playing. Games are similar length to League and theres no pay to win factors

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    368 Post(s)

Division is quite fun. Easy leveling from 1-30 and an ok story line. Good team play and pvp.

Otherwise if you like Sci-fi, check out Eve Online. One of my all time favourite games.

I am personally waiting for Overwatch to hit the market

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    220 Post(s)

Warlords battlecry, old but extremely addicting + fun

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Have you considered The Division? I know it's a shooter, not a RPG, but it's a MMO and extremely team based. Meets your other requirements, you can play for hours or just for 15 minutes if you want, non stop action however the game can seem a bit repetitive, the amazing map and graphics make up for this

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Tree of savior mmo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

tree of savior is good

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)

Age of Mythology

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

Dark Souls 3. You can start with the first one on steam for less than 20 bucks if you don't want to throw down 60 on the newest game.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information