Thread: Setting up a Linux VPS for OSRS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

Post Setting up a Linux VPS for OSRS

Hi, I recently bought a IO3G vps from openvz.io. I'm currently using Ubuntu 14.04 and I followed this video to install the GUI (youtube/watch?v=hOPx7-UrR14). The problem I'm facing is that it still shows the console terminal, I don't see any interface whatsoever.

I don't know much about Linux, Ubuntu, CentOS and all that stuff. I'm kindly asking if any of you guys would like help me setup this VPS so I can start botting

Also, from what I heard I need to install wine so I can use windows applications.

As I said, it would be great if someone can help me set up this server!

Thanks!

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1869 Post(s)

If your VPS didn't come with a graphical environment, then you're using Ubuntu Server 14.04 LTS. Not standard Ubuntu 14.04 LTS.

I'm not sure what that tutorial told you to do (probably to install Unity, which has gotten better in recent updates but is still horrible). I do know that if you install the xfce4 package and reboot, you'll be able to log into the XFCE desktop environment through a protocol such as VNC (you're probably currently using ssh).

From there, I have a tutorial on how to set up Simba through Wine for RS3. You can take your own liberties and modify the steps as you see fit if you want to use it for OSR.

https://youtu.be/FeHfzjrQn5c
    Last edited by KeepBotting; 02-09-2016 at 01:44 AM.
    GitLab projects | Simba 1.4 | Find me on IRC or Discord | ScapeRune scripts | Come play bot ScapeRune!

<BenLand100> we're just in the transitional phase where society reclassifies guns as Bad™ before everyone gets laser pistols

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

I followed 2 tutorials on YouTube on how to install the GUI, none worked. Note: These tutorials were specifically for Ubuntu servers and the tutorials still didn't work for me. I tried looking up the xfce4 package, I didn't understand anything.

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1869 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Krowsey View Post
    I followed 2 tutorials on YouTube on how to install the GUI, none worked. Note: These tutorials were specifically for Ubuntu servers and the tutorials still didn't work for me. I tried looking up the xfce4 package, I didn't understand anything.
    I would caution you against using a GNU/Linux server-type operating system unless you have some experience with the UNIX-like command line.

You don't need to "look up" a package, you (usually) just need to install it using your package manager.

How do you currently access your server?
    GitLab projects | Simba 1.4 | Find me on IRC or Discord | ScapeRune scripts | Come play bot ScapeRune!

<BenLand100> we're just in the transitional phase where society reclassifies guns as Bad™ before everyone gets laser pistols

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

Thanks for your help, but I think I think it's best to get a refund and get a Windows VPS. Or if you know a good Linux VPS which has Desktops not Servers, hit me up

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1869 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Krowsey View Post
    Thanks for your help, but I think I think it's best to get a refund and get a Windows VPS. Or if you know a good Linux VPS which has Desktops not Servers, hit me up
    You want a server distribution, not a desktop distribution. But you'll need to install a graphical environment on a server distribution and access through VNC instead of ssh.

Windows is always an option but that operating system is far more resource-intensive than something like Debian or Ubuntu running a lightweight graphical environment such as XFCE or LXDE.

Thread Information