Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SRL 10 Years!

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

Default SRL 10 Years!

SRL 10 Years!

Today marks the 10 year anniversary of SRL forums!!!!!!!!!! We have come a long way. Probably most of you active today have never seen a post by me, but most will have seen the rules and regulations. To those, Hi, I am WT-Fakawi, founder of SRL. To the rest: Friends from all over the world, it has been a long time! I take this Decennium opportuniy to tell my SRL story.

It was not easy getting this community together. 10 years ago the SCAR cheating community was deeply divided by several includes published by several authors. Moreover, the cheating community was about to be scattered by the legal actions taken against Kaitnieks, the owner of SCAR and the forums. Kaitnieks quickly stepped out and I took over, well, sort of. I opened a small php forum on a home computer and persuaded the includewriters (RsN, Mutant Squirrle, Squigglyo and Stupid3ooo) to work as a team or at least grant me rights over their work and blend them together into one include, to end the include war. Most of them saw no future in cheating so granted me their work, provided they'd be credited for their inventions. And some of them are to this day still credited in SRL!

I was a very active scripter at that time. I was immidiately attracted to the simple logic of colors and bitmaps, and produced dozens of -even if I have to say so myself- rather flawless scripts. (Most of them for SCARScape btw, the great frozen client written and hosted by the omnious Sythe. The client had fixed colors, fixed north compass and frozen symbols, but was yet an "ordinairy" client for rs2. It was generaly considered cheating-within-cheating, and sooo comfortable to write for). By giving those scripts away for free I managed to gather a small community, a private community mind you!, invites only by me and Wizzup. There we continued to develop the include.

Then, on Feb 13, 2006, we opened our SRL forum and presented us to the world. We where an exact lookalike of the Kaitnieks old forums, with one vital exception: no buying, no selling. We are in it for the fun and not for the "money". If you want to sell your stuff, fine, go somewhere else, no problem. Not at SRL. This proved to be the de-escalating primitive, a sort of Prime Directive, and combined with the "I don't hate, I love Runecape" Second Directive we set the friendly spirit that wanders through this community to this day. Proud of that, and you should be too!

I was obsessed with not being banned. In fact, 10 years ago, I never was. With my primitive scripting skills, I build me an army that logged in and out, one after the other, instead of the common 24/7 macro on one mule that was the de facto standard at the time. I was the first to exploit this to a 24/7 system using 8-12 players. Most script I wrote easily run 100 hours+. It was an ideal system. I run scripts for years on end. Seriously. My army grew to a staggering 50 guildminers, yewchoppers, all wearing full rune, all solved random items in their bank, and generally behaving like normal rs players would. I logged the chatlines and was able to answer to simple questions using SRL and my personal extentions. I monitored my surroundings and logged the names of those adressing me. I would respond and convince them I was no bot...
    Until I was banned. On my birthday. All my bots. All of them. Years of work, gone. That REALLY spoiled my day. I deserved it, of course. It hadn't stopped me, but instead gave me the freedom to make even more obscure creations. I think HLR is a friendly tribute to that...but I have long stopped botting.

We are SRL. We are a unique bunch. We are lucky to have extremely intelligent and extremely driven people in our community. We have created something out of nothing: when all seemed lost, when runescape updates kept breaking SCAR every day, Wizzup and friends stood up and created Simba. In honour of that spirit the community started working together for Simba, and spitting out improved SRL functionality and tons of free scripts. Word spread fast that something stable and valuable had been created. Once again, we attracted a whole new generation of talented people. Our counseling system of membership proved to be the best possible filter; only with a well written script one would become a member and thus gain instant respect of the whole community. Our system still works to this day, albeit we are of course much smaller nowadays than we where back say 8-4 years ago. But whenever I see a new member, a developer, a junior or a clown, I know what I am dealing with. And this is what makes us so unique.

I will tell you what I am most proud of. And this is something that even my wife agrees on. 10 years is a long time. The majority of you came/come here as kids, most of you third world spoiled and bored, but a lot also damaged. But you all seem to find here what you are looking for. Here are the normal people. And here you found inspiration and gained knowledge. And now, 10 years later, look at you now!, so much of you are now graduate or post graduate in math, physics, science, sports, medics, computer science, economics! And many of you found strength and positivism and relativism at SRL when times where rough and some have even build lifelasting friendships here. How can you not be proud to be the flywheel that spins out positive energy so much needed for our coming generations?

So, since I knew this day would come, I downloaded simba last week and coded me a little smithing script using SRL-6, doing something with rune... and I dont know who I have to thank for all those great new facilities, but this is a really really really F great accomplishment! Yup! Gogogo SRL! 10 more years?

Love,

WT-Fakawi. Also known as the bearded yoda.

tl:dr;

yo gz 10y WT
    SRL is a Library of routines made by the SRL community written for the Program Simba.
    We produce Scripts for the game Runescape.

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1869 Post(s)

10 years, wow!

Happy decade, everyone!
    GitLab projects | Simba 1.4 | Find me on IRC or Discord | ScapeRune scripts | Come play bot ScapeRune!

<BenLand100> we're just in the transitional phase where society reclassifies guns as Bad™ before everyone gets laser pistols

Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1468 Post(s)

long live SRL!

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2739 Post(s)

Happy 10th Birthday SRL! It's weird to think about whether or not we will be here in 10 years..

Learned a lot from here this is where 99% of from programming experience comes from

Quote Originally Posted by WT-Fakawi View Post
    Probably most of you active today have never seen a post by me, but most will have seen the rules and regulations.
    I think one of the only few times I saw you post is when you SRL member'd me

Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Quoted
    580 Post(s)

Inspirational speech. Thanks for the 10 years!

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    433 Post(s)

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    341 Post(s)

Thankyou! A Happy Birthday VillaVu

<------------------>

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    110 Post(s)

Happy 10th birthday, only been around a few but was a nice read from OP.

Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1068 Post(s)

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

Thanks for the write-up, it has been a great 10 years!

As it happens, RuneScape also celebrated its 15th birthday last month. For those who are interested, here's a nice article on the growing popularity of OSRS and the influence of botting.
    Hup Holland Hup!

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1869 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nielsie95 View Post

As it happens, RuneScape also celebrated its 15th birthday last month. For those who are interested, here's a nice article on the growing popularity of OSRS and the influence of botting.
    The gifs in that article are cool, I saved some of them. Thanks for the share!
    GitLab projects | Simba 1.4 | Find me on IRC or Discord | ScapeRune scripts | Come play bot ScapeRune!

<BenLand100> we're just in the transitional phase where society reclassifies guns as Bad™ before everyone gets laser pistols

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quoted
    588 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nielsie95 View Post

"Despite Jagex claiming that the Bonds system was met enthusiastically by the community, the company still needed to do something to win back the players they had lost with the Wilderness and trade changes from 2007. Their solution? Simply introduce a separate version of the game as it existed in its golden years. The result was Old School RuneScape (OSRS)."

lol. cool article though.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Quoted
    145 Post(s)

Gogogo SRL! 10 more years?
    10 more years! Hear, hear!

First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.
    Stance on Leechers

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Quoted
    327 Post(s)

Thank you so much, Fawki & Community It's been great being a part of this for so long! Still a whole year left before I get my bearded yoda as well

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    35 Post(s)

Wow, aint that some shit. Looking forward to another decade of awesomeness.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quoted
    63 Post(s)

Thank you WT for all of your guidance and support over the last decade. It has helped shape myself as well as the community. To all of our great members keep up the great work improving both yourselves as well as the community.

"Sometimes User's don't need the Answer spelled out with Code. Sometimes all they need is guidance and explanation of the logic to get where they are going."

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Quoted
    254 Post(s)

Happy 10th birthday, SRL!
    I have been a part of the community for over four years now.. time has gone by pretty quickly. Just like you mentioned, I joined as a 17 year old kid, found inspiration and gained knowledge. If everything goes well I will be graduating from university in June.

RuneScape and SRL will always have a special place in my heart. RuneScape, the game which I started playing just before starting high school. I gained much of my English knowledge by reading forums and making posts.. Thousands a year. SRL, which was the place were I found tutorials which got me started with scripting. This eventually led to learning Java and picking Computer Science as my field of study.

I hope to start with the Human Computer Interaction master programme next year. RuneScape has certainly played a role in this choice. I want to learn more about Computer Vision, Speech Recognition and creating good, usable interfaces. Just like a SRL script which using computer vision to detect objects in RuneScape and a GUI must be easy to use without a tutorial.
    Last edited by J J; 02-13-2016 at 06:21 PM.

Script source code available here: Github

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    217 Post(s)

This was good to read :-) , I have learn how to script now :-)
    https://villavu.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=147422&dateline=14358  53409

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    444 Post(s)

Happy Birthday to SRL and the whole community who has been involved in one way or another to make this the best community.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Fantastic work! I hope the efforts of everyone on the team continue for years ahead.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Quoted
    532 Post(s)

Wow, that's awesome to think that it has been that long! I can still remember when kaitnieks was around and I printed out the massively long tutorial for scar and brought it with me on a road trip with my family to try to learn. Definitely didn't learn much

I was just thinking today and talking about it will some friends about how much SRL and scar/simba changed my life, being a mechanical engineer who is proficient is programming is such an unbelievable benefit to me in my daily life it is incredible. I know that there is no way I would have learned so much without SRL.

Definitely looking forward to the next 10 years!
    “The long-lived and those who will die soonest lose the same thing. The present is all that they can give up, since that is all you have, and what you do not have, you cannot lose.” - Marcus Aurelius

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    242 Post(s)

It is crazy to think of the countless hours so many members of this community have poured into it. And for what? Only for the community. Thank you WT-Fakawi, for fostering the passion that seems to come from so many different members.

To another 10!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)

Long live SRL!
    One of the best things in my life is that I joined this community.
    10 years moar!

-Home
    Last edited by Home; 02-14-2016 at 10:28 AM.

Mentioned
    268 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1442 Post(s)

Cheers to this community for what it has accomplished and what it stands for. It's gone down in history for its veteran status and I'm proud to be a part of it. Long live Simba and long live SRL! Here's to another another 10.

Current projects:
    [ AeroGuardians (GotR minigame), Motherlode Miner, Blast furnace ]

"I won't fall in your gravity. Open your eyes,
    you're the Earth and I'm the sky..."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    56 Post(s)

I'm not nearly as active in the community as some are, but this community has really done a lot for me. This place was my introduction to programming, the skills I gained here help me everyday. If I didn't stumble upon this community, I can say, I wouldn't be in the career path I'm in now.

Happy 10 Years!!

and Thanks for everything!

Im Back... Previously known as Megaleech
    [Herbalife]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information