5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    24 Post(s)

Cheers to another 10!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)

What you said about gaining inspiration and knowledge from SRL is so true, probably wouldn't be in my last year of electrical engineering today if it wasn't for these forums! I can't believe I joined when I was 12 years old... Great post Fakawi!

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1869 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Griff View Post
    What you said about gaining inspiration and knowledge from SRL is so true, probably wouldn't be in my last year of electrical engineering today if it wasn't for these forums! I can't believe I joined when I was 12 years old... Great post Fakawi!
    Woah! I remember you!

Your tutorial on cutting down a tree was what got me started with Simba scripting...

Thanks Griff!
    GitLab projects | Simba 1.4 | Find me on IRC or Discord | ScapeRune scripts | Come play bot ScapeRune!

<BenLand100> we're just in the transitional phase where society reclassifies guns as Bad™ before everyone gets laser pistols

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1663 Post(s)

Great post Fakawi! I know I sure wouldn't be on the path I am now if I hadn't stumbled my way here almost 4 years ago. This place really is something special.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)

Although this account is young I've been lurking on and off here for four years or so, thank you to this community for giving me many, many hours of enjoyment. I love old stories like this, thank you for sharing!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)

w00t1. dam. ive only been here 1 month lol.

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1869 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rkh3544 View Post
    w00t1. dam. ive only been here 1 month lol.
    Here's to another great month, then
    GitLab projects | Simba 1.4 | Find me on IRC or Discord | ScapeRune scripts | Come play bot ScapeRune!

<BenLand100> we're just in the transitional phase where society reclassifies guns as Bad™ before everyone gets laser pistols

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

I've known about Simba for a few years, never really bothered until as of recently to use it. Thanks for hosting and working on this project for so long (The entire simba team)

Hope we have another 10 years!

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Quoted
    302 Post(s)

After all this time, I still find myself returning every once in a while just to check up on people. My beginning here was rough but in the end it turned out to work out just fine.

I for one can say that I would not have accomplished all the things in life that I'm proud of without everyone here who have interacted and guided me during my time. I know there has been threads here and there from people, thanking everyone who have helped them, and that SRL is the best thing that happened to them. I was never a big fan of making such a post myself, but this seems like an appropriate time to post such.

Thank you everyone who helped me in 2006 when I first joined, I remember Pentti was quite helpful with my first miner and banker script for Varrock. Only a few hundred lines of code, yet walked, mined and went back to bank it all. I still remember the feeling of joy, just gazing at the bot, doing the work without any input from me.

In all of this I only have one regret, I wish I had contributed more back to the community, like many people here have.

Eagerly waiting for the NXT client and threads from people who are hacking the client
    There used to be something meaningful here.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Good read! I'm proud to have been a part of this awesome community. I don't know where I'd be today without the influence SRL has had on my life. Long live SRL!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Congrats villavu, but just to make a correction on OP

It's a common misconception that legal action was taken against kaitnieks. Actually no legal action was taken against him, he simply had a kid and became too busy for rs cheating, and/or grew tired of it.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    266 Post(s)

I'm a bit late to the party here because I'm no where near as active as I used to be, but there'll never be a time when I've forgotten about Villavu. Like many others in this thread, I can state with 100% certainty that I wouldn't be doing what I do today if it wasn't for these forums. 11 year old me came looking for some cheats, and because I found SCAR, 20 year old me is now working as a full time software dev and loving it.

Thanks guys!
    <3

Quote Originally Posted by Eminem
    I don't care if you're black, white, straight, bisexual, gay, lesbian, short, tall, fat, skinny, rich or poor. If you're nice to me, I'll be nice to you. Simple as that.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    19 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WT-Fakawi View Post
    SRL 10 Years!

Today marks the 10 year anniversary of SRL forums!!!!!!!!!! We have come a long way. Probably most of you active today have never seen a post by me, but most will have seen the rules and regulations. To those, Hi, I am WT-Fakawi, founder of SRL. To the rest: Friends from all over the world, it has been a long time! I take this Decennium opportuniy to tell my SRL story.

It was not easy getting this community together. 10 years ago the SCAR cheating community was deeply divided by several includes published by several authors. Moreover, the cheating community was about to be scattered by the legal actions taken against Kaitnieks, the owner of SCAR and the forums. Kaitnieks quickly stepped out and I took over, well, sort of. I opened a small php forum on a home computer and persuaded the includewriters (RsN, Mutant Squirrle, Squigglyo and Stupid3ooo) to work as a team or at least grant me rights over their work and blend them together into one include, to end the include war. Most of them saw no future in cheating so granted me their work, provided they'd be credited for their inventions. And some of them are to this day still credited in SRL!

I was a very active scripter at that time. I was immidiately attracted to the simple logic of colors and bitmaps, and produced dozens of -even if I have to say so myself- rather flawless scripts. (Most of them for SCARScape btw, the great frozen client written and hosted by the omnious Sythe. The client had fixed colors, fixed north compass and frozen symbols, but was yet an "ordinairy" client for rs2. It was generaly considered cheating-within-cheating, and sooo comfortable to write for). By giving those scripts away for free I managed to gather a small community, a private community mind you!, invites only by me and Wizzup. There we continued to develop the include.

Then, on Feb 13, 2006, we opened our SRL forum and presented us to the world. We where an exact lookalike of the Kaitnieks old forums, with one vital exception: no buying, no selling. We are in it for the fun and not for the "money". If you want to sell your stuff, fine, go somewhere else, no problem. Not at SRL. This proved to be the de-escalating primitive, a sort of Prime Directive, and combined with the "I don't hate, I love Runecape" Second Directive we set the friendly spirit that wanders through this community to this day. Proud of that, and you should be too!

I was obsessed with not being banned. In fact, 10 years ago, I never was. With my primitive scripting skills, I build me an army that logged in and out, one after the other, instead of the common 24/7 macro on one mule that was the de facto standard at the time. I was the first to exploit this to a 24/7 system using 8-12 players. Most script I wrote easily run 100 hours+. It was an ideal system. I run scripts for years on end. Seriously. My army grew to a staggering 50 guildminers, yewchoppers, all wearing full rune, all solved random items in their bank, and generally behaving like normal rs players would. I logged the chatlines and was able to answer to simple questions using SRL and my personal extentions. I monitored my surroundings and logged the names of those adressing me. I would respond and convince them I was no bot...
    Until I was banned. On my birthday. All my bots. All of them. Years of work, gone. That REALLY spoiled my day. I deserved it, of course. It hadn't stopped me, but instead gave me the freedom to make even more obscure creations. I think HLR is a friendly tribute to that...but I have long stopped botting.

We are SRL. We are a unique bunch. We are lucky to have extremely intelligent and extremely driven people in our community. We have created something out of nothing: when all seemed lost, when runescape updates kept breaking SCAR every day, Wizzup and friends stood up and created Simba. In honour of that spirit the community started working together for Simba, and spitting out improved SRL functionality and tons of free scripts. Word spread fast that something stable and valuable had been created. Once again, we attracted a whole new generation of talented people. Our counseling system of membership proved to be the best possible filter; only with a well written script one would become a member and thus gain instant respect of the whole community. Our system still works to this day, albeit we are of course much smaller nowadays than we where back say 8-4 years ago. But whenever I see a new member, a developer, a junior or a clown, I know what I am dealing with. And this is what makes us so unique.

I will tell you what I am most proud of. And this is something that even my wife agrees on. 10 years is a long time. The majority of you came/come here as kids, most of you third world spoiled and bored, but a lot also damaged. But you all seem to find here what you are looking for. Here are the normal people. And here you found inspiration and gained knowledge. And now, 10 years later, look at you now!, so much of you are now graduate or post graduate in math, physics, science, sports, medics, computer science, economics! And many of you found strength and positivism and relativism at SRL when times where rough and some have even build lifelasting friendships here. How can you not be proud to be the flywheel that spins out positive energy so much needed for our coming generations?

So, since I knew this day would come, I downloaded simba last week and coded me a little smithing script using SRL-6, doing something with rune... and I dont know who I have to thank for all those great new facilities, but this is a really really really F great accomplishment! Yup! Gogogo SRL! 10 more years?

Love,

WT-Fakawi. Also known as the bearded yoda.

tl:dr;

yo gz 10y WT
    After checking up on this place again a few months ago I decided to look through my first posts from 2007! I was just a 13 or 14 year old at the time and I had to laugh at how immature I was but it was a reminder of how much I have grown up since then. Today I'm working in IT whilst studying software development, if it wasn't for this place and everybody accepting immature me so many years ago there is no doubt I wouldn't be where I am now. I still remember the giddy feeling I had the day I was accepted as a member (in reflection, this was a really crappy script!)
    Reading through the other posts in this thread I am not the only one with this kind of story and in my opinion this is SRL's greatest achievement of all. Thank you for everything
    Sleeping...

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    171 Post(s)

Little late but happy 10 years and many more to come
    So... I hear you like infinite loops.............

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    131 Post(s)

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    237 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WT-Fakawi View Post

I will tell you what I am most proud of. And this is something that even my wife agrees on. 10 years is a long time. The majority of you came/come here as kids, most of you third world spoiled and bored, but a lot also damaged. But you all seem to find here what you are looking for. Here are the normal people. And here you found inspiration and gained knowledge. And now, 10 years later, look at you now!, so much of you are now graduate or post graduate in math, physics, science, sports, medics, computer science, economics! And many of you found strength and positivism and relativism at SRL when times where rough and some have even build lifelasting friendships here. How can you not be proud to be the flywheel that spins out positive energy so much needed for our coming generations?
    Reading this got me teary eyes.

Love y'all.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quoted
    266 Post(s)

Love this community, its like no other community out there. Everyone is constructive and everything is open sourced, allowing everyone to learn. 10 years is a long time, but it doesn't seem to be that long ago, but it is... Time flies. Long live SRL!
    Discord: Guy#1693

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    495 Post(s)

Just over nine years ago I joined SRL as a fifteen year old, leeched for a month, then forgot all about it. This was my account. Every time I hear about the history of SRL a large part of me regrets so much that I never took the time to join the community and learn to script. I can only imagine what my life would be like now if I had done that.

Today, I am proud of my short time at SRL. I've made several friends, improved my programming skills dramatically (even if I'm still a noob!) and convinced myself that studying IT at university is right for me.

Thank you to everyone who made SRL what it is today, and thank you to everyone who has helped me with everything I've done here.

Here's to another ten years, long live SRL!

New to scripting? Procedures & Functions for Beginners
    Do you use your computer at night? Just get f.lux

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1869 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Incurable View Post
    Just over nine years ago I joined SRL as a fifteen year old, leeched for a month, then forgot all about it. This was my account. Every time I hear about the history of SRL a large part of me regrets so much that I never took the time to join the community and learn to script. I can only imagine what my life would be like now if I had done that.

Today, I am proud of my short time at SRL. I've made several friends, improved my programming skills dramatically (even if I'm still a noob!) and convinced myself that studying IT at university is right for me.

Thank you to everyone who made SRL what it is today, and thank you to everyone who has helped me with everything I've done here.

Here's to another ten years, long live SRL!
    Bro, get that account back

That join date is sexy

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    495 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KeepBotting View Post
    Bro, get that account back

That join date is sexy
    I have access to it, Justin changed the e-mail for me a while ago so that I could recover it. I don't want to merge it with this one because it's not my real join date. It would be dishonest to pretend that I joined actively in 2006.

New to scripting? Procedures & Functions for Beginners
    Do you use your computer at night? Just get f.lux

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Great writeup!

Look how far we've come in 10 years. Long live SRL!
    Join the Official SRL IRC channel. Learn how to Here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

Wooohooo !! I still like this community the best , but I can't believe its been 10 years already 0_0.

Dont Steal..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)

Red face

Thank you WT-Fakawi. No, really, thank you.
    Great read, very inspiring.

I'd like to say this forum is one of a kind.
    I joined very recently, and have learned more than I could imagine, but have only touched the bottom of the capabilities possible.

I find the work done here amazing, and really paints a big picture.

I learn something different every day.
    When I started my first big project, I had no issues finding help for ALL my issues and made my first project run flawless for as long as I want!

Congratulations on 10 years.
    Lets add another 10 to it.

Thanks again
    - Mustakrakish
    My Scripts:
    TizenX Damage Token Collector
    OS-Scape Auto Buyer
    Check out an index of all my scripts here: ScriptingSRL

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information