Thread: any laptop under 700$?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)

Question any laptop under 700$?

Hi!

Next course I'm goind to start a phd in a foreign country so I'll need a laptop for data treatment and analysis (I suppose I would need a good processor and good RAM)

I wouldn't use it for gaming, just for work. So it wouldn't need a really good graphics card neither a really big screen (14" would be ideal!, but 15.6" is alrgiht too).

I would also love a good battery life, and I would like to spend less than 700$ if possible.

So given all those requirements could you guys sugest me a good laptop for this price?

Thank you very much !!!

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quoted
    620 Post(s)

For the best value for money look at used business class lenovo laptops. They're normally 1-2 years old and have 3-4 years left of warranty and are very cheap (when businesses replace laptops they sell them in bulk for very cheap).
    #slack4admin2016
    <slacky> I will build a wall
    <slacky> I will ban reflection and OGL hooking until we know what the hell is going on

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1869 Post(s)

Grab one from here: https://minifree.org/

They're pretty configurable and offer a lot of options so you'll be able to tailor your laptop to include exactly the components you foresee yourself needing.
    Last edited by KeepBotting; 03-14-2016 at 06:09 PM.
    GitLab projects | Simba 1.4 | Find me on IRC or Discord | ScapeRune scripts | Come play bot ScapeRune!

<BenLand100> we're just in the transitional phase where society reclassifies guns as Bad™ before everyone gets laser pistols

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quoted
    620 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KeepBotting View Post
    Grab one from here: https://minifree.org/

They're pretty configurable and offer a lot of options so you'll be able to tailor your laptop to include exactly the components you foresee yourself needing.
    They charge a huge premium for stuff you can buy for £100 normally. I highly doubt alexes cares about the freesoftware movement nor Linux so it would be a very poor choice to buy one of those.
    #slack4admin2016
    <slacky> I will ban reflection and OGL hooking until we know what the hell is going on

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1869 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
    They charge a huge premium for stuff you can buy for £100 normally. I highly doubt alexes cares about the freesoftware movement nor Linux so it would be a very poor choice to buy one of those.
    They charge more because they're all custom built and contain hand-done modifications. There's nothing stopping you from installing Windows on it.

If not Minifree, then I'd recommend System76: https://system76.com/
    Last edited by KeepBotting; 03-14-2016 at 06:49 PM.
    GitLab projects | Simba 1.4 | Find me on IRC or Discord | ScapeRune scripts | Come play bot ScapeRune!

<BenLand100> we're just in the transitional phase where society reclassifies guns as Bad™ before everyone gets laser pistols

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quoted
    620 Post(s)

They charge more because they're all custom built and contain hand-done modifications. There's nothing stopping you from installing Windows on it.
    How can he? Libreboot doesn't support Windows.
    #slack4admin2016

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1869 Post(s)

How can he? Libreboot doesn't support Windows.
    Very true. Okay then, Minifree is out. I'll refrain from whining about virtualization and Wine for today

System76 or Purism (https://puri.sm/) are still excellent choices.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quoted
    620 Post(s)

Very true. Okay then, Minifree is out. I'll refrain from whining about virtualization and Wine for today

System76 or Purism (https://puri.sm/) are still excellent choices.
    System76 isn't really good bang for your buck (You can order direct from Clevo iirc anyway) and both Purism laptops are wayyy out of his price range
    #slack4admin2016

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1869 Post(s)

System76 isn't really good bang for your buck (You can order direct from Clevo iirc anyway) and both Purism laptops are wayyy out of his price range
    splutter

well I'm out of ideas then, might as well go to Best Buy and get a crappy Dell

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1663 Post(s)

splutter

well I'm out of ideas then, might as well go to Best Buy and get a crappy Dell
    Or just order a refurbished thinkpad from Lenovo. It's not just a choice between stallmanmart and bestbuy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)

Thanks! I will look for some refurbished or discounted Lenovo, since it seems a good quality-price relation brand ^^

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Second lenovo laptop, I've had great success with mine

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

For your budget, look at the Lenovo Z50
    AMD A10-7300 Quad-Core 1.9 GHz Processor
    8 GB DDR3 RAM