Thread: Thinking about making a script

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    77 Post(s)

Default Thinking about making a script

Hey, guys, I'm thinking about making a script, I made a few terrible colour ones in the past when I was learning but was wondering. Should I just go straight to make an OGL script or shall I master colour first?

Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1068 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nero_dante View Post
    Hey, guys, I'm thinking about making a script, I made a few terrible colour ones in the past when I was learning but was wondering. Should I just go straight to make an OGL script or shall I master colour first?
    Learning color first is usually more beneficial because it's more challenging and requires innovative thinking to solve trickier scenarios (how should I detect this door, or this monster?). Things can fail in a color script that would be 100% guaranteed to work with OGL. It's really up to you, I always recommend learning color first to teach yourself good scripting habits. You can try both at the same time with compatibility. OGL will be a walk in the park after mastering color.

Additionally, SRL member applications require a color script (with a few exceptions) if you're ever thinking about applying.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    206 Post(s)

say no to OGL!

writing 50 lines to do something that takes OGL maybe 5 lines is never as fun!

-ColoUr lover

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    77 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Clarity View Post
    Learning color first is usually more beneficial because it's more challenging and requires innovative thinking to solve trickier scenarios (how should I detect this door, or this monster?). Things can fail in a color script that would be 100% guaranteed to work with OGL. It's really up to you, I always recommend learning color first to teach yourself good scripting habits. You can try both at the same time with compatibility. OGL will be a walk in the park after mastering color.

Additionally, SRL member applications require a color script (with a few exceptions) if you're ever thinking about applying.
    okay cool, also srl is a form of pascal coding right? Cause I'm learning java at college and so know pretty much all the basics of java and wondering if that would help at all. Plus making a script that works will definitewly help when I go univeristy to show off to the university... (I hope)

Plus thanks for quick response, good to know that if I need help with anything people will be here to help me through it.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    77 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by theholyone View Post
    say no to OGL!

writing 50 lines to do something that takes OGL maybe 5 lines is never as fun!

-ColoUr lover
    haha, I suppose I will be making the scripts for fun and will never use them on my Runescape account haha xD. Plus a challenge does make it more fun

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)

id say do whatever you feel like. If you need help we are allways here for you

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quoted
    588 Post(s)

opengl first so that you're focusing more on the other aspects of scripting, especially if it isn't too laggy for you

Thread Information