Thread: Can a .exe file be hosted online so it is executed when a web address is opened?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Default Can a .exe file be hosted online so it is executed when a web address is opened?

I feel like I'm getting lost in the woods a bit, and possibly going crazy, but anyhow. I was looking at Appa (https://villavu.com/forum/showthread.php?t=82426) recently and got it running, which is a really cool plugin for Simba. Then it came across my mind that it could possibly be used as a workaround to a problem I was having earlier. I have written numerous botting scripts for a game called Crusaders Quest, which can be run on a computer using BlueStacks (almost all Android games for that matter). It's been going very well, and it's at the point where I've almost fully automated the game.

At this point it would be nice to free up my computer so I can do things on it, so I was looking into a SMART like client for BlueStacks. I hit a wall there, since I would have to basically program a client from scratch since SMART isn't easily adaptable. But then it occurred to me that if I could host the BlueStacks .exe file online somehow, and run it on some webpage, then Appa could be used to get the desired result I want.

Maybe this is all too farfetched, but at the end of the day, I'm just wondering if .exe files can be hosted/executed online somehow. I'll do the rest of the investigating =).

Thanks!

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Quoted
    596 Post(s)

No, what you wanna do is impossible. Allowing this in browsers would be a major security issue.

Just imagine going to a website which executes an exe, before you even know it your PC is infested with malware of all sorts. Even Java applications has lost it's support in browsers, because it was a big security issue.

Edit: The way you describe it sounds like you want the executable to be a server-side program (unlike java and javascript), this requires you to have a server (a windows server to be precise if it's an .exe). Not just a webhost, you need to be able to run programs on it... Not so much a server either.. Just a second PC basically. And you still wont directly execute the exe from a browser, what you'd want is really some remote access software, eg VNC, teamviewer etc, into that machine.
    At this point it's really getting bloated..

How about just... install a virtual machine on your PC, VirtualBox should do the trick.. then install Windows (XP more lightweight then newer versions, if that works) on that virtual machine.. Then you install simba, BlueStacks onto it. Done, problem solved, finito, finished..
    Last edited by slacky; 03-28-2016 at 07:16 AM.
    !No priv. messages please

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Unfortunately when I run Bluestacks within VirtualBox, there is too much lag for my scripts to run properly. I'm unclear on why there is so much lag since I devote 8gb of memory to it, but nonetheless, it hasn't worked for me yet. Perhaps I'll devote some more time to VirtualBox to see if I can get this working. Getting Windows XP sounds like a good idea to reduce lag so I'll try that out.

In the meantime, if you know of any other reasons why I might be experiencing lag (BlueStacks is a pretty memory intensive program, but nothing 8gb of ram shouldn't take care of), any advice is appreciated! I don't know how VirtualBox uses graphics cards/cores (does it just leech off your main CPU graphics card?), so perhaps that is an issue.
    Last edited by spaderdabomb; 03-28-2016 at 11:52 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    40 Post(s)

ram is just a temporary storage for on-demand data. dedicating memory to an application will cause it to have more readily available access to frequently accessed assets but won't cause it to "run" any faster.

a VB allocates cycles to individual VMs which has its hardware calls managed by a generic driver. VB can take advantage of hardware acceleration so the sluggish performance of an app is because of your hardware. that being said, bluestacks is pretty shit at android emulation. consider genymotion or just using android studio.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Can you be more specific when you say "hardware"?

Bluestacks runs perfectly fine on my computer normally, but is very sluggish when running within VB. I've considered genymotion before, I just never used it since I started writing scripts on BlueStacks. Hopefully my code transfers well >.<

Do you think devoting more "cores" would improve performance within VB?
    Last edited by spaderdabomb; 03-29-2016 at 01:24 AM.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Quoted
    826 Post(s)

check your bios for any virtualization options. i think they are normally disabled by default.

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Quoted
    596 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spaderdabomb View Post
    Unfortunately when I run Bluestacks within VirtualBox, there is too much lag for my scripts to run properly. I'm unclear on why there is so much lag since I devote 8gb of memory to it, but nonetheless, it hasn't worked for me yet. Perhaps I'll devote some more time to VirtualBox to see if I can get this working. Getting Windows XP sounds like a good idea to reduce lag so I'll try that out.
    There is also VMWare player http://www.vmware.com/products/player/ which I've never used myself, but performance benchmarks shows that it can be a lot faster than VirtualBox. But lately VirtualBox has been catching up, but it's worth a try.

As for what turpinator said, that could be a thing to check out indeed.
    VirtualBox should have a check for this as well, which has to be enabled, if this field can't be checked (it's gray?), or maybe it isn't there at all, then you wanna reboot, jump into BIOS, and look around for hardware virtualization, and toggle this on.

Tho keep in mind that it will never be AS fast when you run it in a virtualized environment. And if it's an application that requires a lot of GPU power to run, than it can almost become hopeless.
    Also, it's not just about ram, be sure to allocate enough CPU power, if you have a multicore environment, and you can allocate two cores, then do so. And max out that videoram! :P
    Last edited by slacky; 03-29-2016 at 06:46 AM.
    !No priv. messages please

Thread Information