Thread: Any Rails developers? Could use someone to bounce ideas off of

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Quoted
    418 Post(s)

Default Any Rails developers? Could use someone to bounce ideas off of

Hi friends,

I'm writing a semi-basic webapp in Rails.

I've written a few small apps before, but this one is a bit larger and will actually be released to the public.
    If you're wondering, it has nothing to do with Runescape.

I was wondering if anyone here had experience in Rails, and wouldn't mind answering some questions from time to time.
    Want to make sure I'm using best practices and not doing silly things and such.

Thanks,
    YoHoJo
    Last edited by YoHoJo; 05-12-2016 at 03:19 AM.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quoted
    229 Post(s)

I don't have much experience, barely even messed with it but if there's anything I can do to help, I'd be glad to learn as well!
    Tsunami

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    242 Post(s)

Why are you using rails?

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Quoted
    418 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lucidity View Post
    I don't have much experience, barely even messed with it but if there's anything I can do to help, I'd be glad to learn as well!
    Thanks, appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by tls View Post
    Why are you using rails?
    Because it's what I have experience with and want to get better at.
    The nuances between Rails and X don't really matter to me right now.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    341 Post(s)

I know this is a small grave dig. But what is a better alternative to RoR??

<------------------>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    25 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AFools View Post
    I know this is a small grave dig. But what is a better alternative to RoR??
    I mean, at the end of the day it's mostly up to what you need for a certain project, or your personal preferences. I like RoR because it's easy to get a substantial prototype going, something that would take hours in Laravel would take like half an hour on RoR.

If you're interested in new stuff Phoenix (http://www.phoenixframework.org/) in Elixir seems to be a new big thing. Clojure is also something that alot of people like. On PHP there's Zend and Laravel. Python, you've got Django. Java I haven't used at all, but there's Grails and Spring MVC that are really popular.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    341 Post(s)

Well i am not interested in new platforms; because eventually i wouldn't mind a job in IT - Back-end Development (It is best to use common languages); I currently use PHP, RoR or Python. My knowledge of C/Java are the most primitive... but C follows similar classes to PHP (i believe).

I am slowly familiarizing myself with most common languages - I have a few of my own projects i plan to monetize in the near future.
    Last edited by AFools; 05-26-2016 at 10:06 AM.

<------------------>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    25 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AFools View Post
    Well i am not interested in new platforms; because eventually i wouldn't mind a job in IT - Back-end Development (It is best common languages); I currently use PHP, RoR or Python. My knowledge of C/Java are the most primitive... but C follows similar classes to PHP (i believe).

I am slowly familiarizing myself with most common languages - I have a few of my own projects i plan to monetize in the near future.
    If you want a regular job in back-end development you'd be best off focusing on either PHP or .NET, both would be best. That's where most stable work opportunities lie right now. You might want to familiarize yourself with Node.js also. Startups really like the "cutting edge" stuff like elixir etc. but I wouldn't recommend working at a startup as your first work unless you're very adaptable and can work well under stress without certainty for the future.

In Sweden for example, most jobs are either PHP or .NET, but it might be different where you live, so I suggest checking linkedin for nearby jobs and what they're looking for. That's probably a good idea because it'll tell pretty accurately what the job market will be like for you in the next few years.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    242 Post(s)

Screw PHP and .NET, if you want an interesting job that isn't set in the stone ages, learn java, javascript, and python. Those three languages will give you plenty of opportunities for work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Any ideas??

Thread Information