Thread: Questions on current state of RS and botting

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

Default Questions on current state of RS and botting

Hello all. I've recently come back to Runescape and have some questions about the current state of the game and botting.

Any and all advice would be appreciated.

* Is the general player population up or down in the past few years? The general bot population?
    * How risky is botting these days? How likely are you to be banned? With a popular Java bot? With Simba/SRL?
    * What are some relatively higher or lower risk activities to bot? Or is botting risky across the board?
    * Is it true that Jagex have hired a team of humans to go around the game and ban bots by hand? How likely are you to be banned?

Thank you all in advance.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    49 Post(s)

The population of OSRS has been increasing.

From user testimonials it's all based on the script. I believe that JaGex can detect scripts but currently do not look into detecting clients. Well, recently they've said that clients that manipulate how the client processes graphics are detectable.

Certain scripts are more detectable then others due to patterns from the script.(Think an autoclicker which clicks every 2 seconds) over long periods of time JaGex can detect this (presumably) and ban you.

I've been running NMZ on my account for awhile and really haven't seen any bans on my account but I actively play on the account and so long term I don't think they can detect me(hopefully).

There are a lot of variables that go in to it. Most of which the public do not know. Most people I believe wont be able to run bots like we could when Jagex had poor detection methods. My friend ran a farm of over 20 puro puro bots with no ban when Nexus was king, on the same pc. All 99 Hunter accounts.

I don't know of any case studies NOW that people can do the same without a ban, and if they are well more power to them, and send me a message.

I would love to start a farm up just to get good in-game items but I just like to write scripts/snippets and not really use them for farming atm.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quoted
    588 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by One Kid View Post
    I believe that JaGex can detect scripts but currently do not look into detecting clients. Well, recently they've said that clients that manipulate how the client processes graphics are detectable.
    They're either detecting and banning based on client or not. If they're banning legit people for simply using HD clients because they can't tell if it's a bot client or not, then they are infact looking into detecting bot clients and banning for their usage.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    49 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by acow View Post
    They're either detecting and banning based on client or not. If they're banning legit people for simply using HD clients because they can't tell if it's a bot client or not, then they are infact looking into detecting bot clients and banning for their usage.
    We cant say for sure if it is so black and white. In the same way that we have multiple ways to bot(color, injection, reflection) which basically makes information available so we can perform a certain action based on that information, Jagex could very well have more than one way of identifying varying degrees of bot clients. They're a company that can employ a team of software developers full time year-round.

If someone can run a bot that plays like someone playing competitively(long play times, lots of exp/hr) I would definitely like to hear what they do, just out of curiosity.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quoted
    588 Post(s)

We cant say for sure if it is so black and white.
    What? They 100% are doing the following:
    looking into detecting bot clients and banning for their usage.
    Given:
    If they're banning legit people for simply using HD clients because they can't tell if it's a bot client or not

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    49 Post(s)

What? They 100% are doing the following:
    Given:
    You're on the outside looking in though. You don't know that if interacting with the client in the way of manipulating how it processes graphics raises more of a "red flag" then just interacting with it via reflection/injection/color.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

Thank you both for your responses.

Let me rephrase some of what I was asking around ban rates:

* Are you or do you know of anyone with a recently-botted high-total account? These days, is it still reasonable to expect to bot most bank-standing skills (Fletching, Cooking, etc.) to 99 without a ban?
    * If you avoid high risk scripts (Green dragons? Divination? I honestly don't know.), is it still reasonable to expect to bot a few hours every day for a few months without a ban?

I understand that there's always some degree of chance involved, and nothing is absolute, but I'm curious to hear at least estimates.

On a different note, I have some questions about Simba/SRL in particular:

* Does Simba/SRL work pretty much as effectively now as it did before?
    * What will happen when NXT becomes standard/compulsory?
    * What is this I hear about OpenGL/DirectX support in Simba? If I wanted to learn scripting, should I pursue those over traditional color?
    * Do I need to be on Windows for Simba/Smart/plugins to fully work? I see some people are using Wine. Does that cover all use-cases? (EDIT: I'm actually on OSX for my primary computer currently. Does the equivalent of Wine work there?)

Thanks again in advance.
    Last edited by Thunderlord9741; 08-14-2016 at 01:01 AM.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quoted
    588 Post(s)

You don't know that if interacting with the client in the way of manipulating how it processes graphics raises more of a "red flag" then just interacting with it via reflection/injection/color.
    ...& why's that relevant here?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    114 Post(s)

Not necessarily. HD clients will have different models for objects in the game. For example, if a tree was bigger, it would have a bigger hit marker. The client would have to do conversion to send the click back to Jagex. Many of the clicks would be same (ie. the center of a normal clickbox for everyone would be sent back). This would get you banned since you are essentially clicking the same place.

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Quoted
    596 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderlord9741 View Post
    Q: Is the general player population up or down in the past few years? The general bot population?
    A: The number of botters follow runescape, maybe the bot community has reduced a bit more. RS population: http://www.misplaceditems.com/rs_tools/graph/

Q: Is it true that Jagex have hired a team of humans to go around the game and ban bots by hand? How likely are you to be banned?
    A: Are you referring to the streams? if so: The botbusting streams are just "for fun", they rely on the anti-botting system, where they just grab names of bots it has detected. These bots would get banned anyway.

-----------

Q: Are you or do you know of anyone with a recently-botted high-total account?
    A: Myeah, I know of a dude (OSRS), and I think several people here at this forum has botted on high level accounts.

Q: These days, is it still reasonable to expect to bot most bank-standing skills (Fletching, Cooking, etc.) to 99 without a ban?
    A: Hard to say, it depends. I would assume it could be alright, assuming you don't go on very long botting sprees, I would just in case run this in a VM, or while you are not on your computer, and avoid using tools like SMART (as it's technically easy to detect SMART like any other "unofficial" client - it's not known if they do tho, and very little to indicate they do).

Q: If you avoid high risk scripts (Green dragons? Divination? I honestly don't know.), is it still reasonable to expect to bot a few hours every day for a few months without a ban?
    A: It really depends, if you play on the same account a bit, I think you are way safer, and/or if you bot other skills as well in that period (mix it up).

-----------

Q: Does Simba/SRL work pretty much as effectively now as it did before?
    A: It's the same as always. Works like it should, note that SRL is just a complementary utility to simplify your scripting.

Q: What will happen when NXT becomes standard/compulsory?
    A: People will no longer be able to use SMART. They will likely utilize VMs more often, most modern PC's can handle several instances of a light weight VM. Some will just bot when they are not on the computer.

Q: What is this I hear about OpenGL/DirectX support in Simba? If I wanted to learn scripting, should I pursue those over traditional color?
    A: Nobody has started to utilize DirectX, it's just supported by a plugin made for SMART. OpenGL (search for oglib on the forums) is used by a few but has some issues: for a lot of people, within a few minutes, the FPS in the game will have reduced to ~5. It's not that popular, and the include itself is honestly very ugly.

Q: Do I need to be on Windows for Simba/Smart/plugins to fully work? I see some people are using Wine. Does that cover all use-cases?
    A: Simba usually compiles on Linux as well, but isn't officially supported, it will often require more work of you (eg build plugins yourself and such). Wine equiv on OSX could work, but like on wine for linux it could be quite iffy/buggy (or just feel weird), you'd just have to try and see, would only take a few minutes to test, ya know.

Your questions are impossible to answer with a definitive answer, and some questions are just too vague. For all the "antibotting"-related questions the best answer we can give you is that it depends.
    - If you use a shitty bot, you'd likely get banned.
    - If you use a good bot then nobody can tell you the outcome.
    - Use bots that are publicly available and used by many others, the risks of getting banned increases.
    - Bot too much, play too little, not mixing the tasks done... the chances you get banned increases.
    etc..

There is ALWAYS a risk involved with botting, so if you can't handle loosing your account, then don't bot on it.
    Last edited by slacky; 08-14-2016 at 06:08 PM.
    !No priv. messages please

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quoted
    588 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Unfold View Post
    Not necessarily.
    Nope, it's 100% fact. I had chosen my words carefully for a reason.

HD clients will have different models for objects in the game. For example, if a tree was bigger, it would have a bigger hit marker. The client would have to do conversion to send the click back to Jagex. Many of the clicks would be same (ie. the center of a normal clickbox for everyone would be sent back). This would get you banned since you are essentially clicking the same place.
    lols. What do you [guys] even think my argument, that you're responding to, is?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    114 Post(s)

Nope, it's 100% fact. I had chosen my words carefully for a reason.

lols. What do you [guys] even think my argument, that you're responding to, is?
    If they're banning legit people for simply using HD clients because they can't tell if it's a bot client or not, then they are infact looking into detecting bot clients and banning for their usage.
    I'm just saying that using HD clients will make your clicks look like a bot. They're not detecting the client itself, but the results of the conversion.

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Quoted
    596 Post(s)

I'm just saying that using HD clients will make your clicks look like a bot. They're not detecting the client itself, but the results of the conversion.
    Sir. GuessALot
    !No priv. messages please

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)

Why would it make your clicks look like a bot? Just recently Jagex posted their position on HD clients where they said people shouldn't use them because they are detected as bot clients.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    368 Post(s)

I have a high level that I bot exclusively on.

He was recently temp banned (48 hour) so I have stopped for the minute. My mistake was creating bots using my main lol.

I have since started to level a second account that I can use to create my scripts moving forward.

I botted for 6 hours at a time, every day, in NMZ without a ban.

I botted to 90ish fletch without a ban (3-4 hours/day).

I botted to 99 cooking using one of the public scripts (4-6 hours/day).

I botted 70ish herblore with a reflection Serum207 script I built (3-4 hours/day).

I botted 54-70ish fishing with a barb fishing script I made after hand leveling mining from 55 to 70 in motherload mine and got the temp ban.

My only thoughts was that it was a delayed ban for previous use or a player reported ban. If it was for my NMZ botting or my cooking botting, it would have been perm.

My advice:
    - Bot in front of your PC unless you have a lot of confidence in the script.
    - Bot for small hours at a time (4-6 a day).
    - Play the game in between and do quests or manual levelling.
    - Use OSBuddy client or official client with color bots.
    - Stick to color bots (not reflection or injection) <- is my personal superstition.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

Thank you all for the information and the advice.

I've gotten Runescape up and running in VMWare Fusion in Mac OSX. It's slightly laggy but very workable. That's some progress already, and I hope to be up and scripting some time soon.

Thread Information