Thread: Should I release this?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    96 Post(s)

Default Should I release this?

Alright, so I've been working on a RED/Black chin bot for osrs. It's functional at the moment, but I'm working out the kinks.
    I know there is not one currently, and the forums here are pretty paranoid about gold farming.

So question is, what do you guys think?
    Should I release it for the public? Or would that be a bad idea?

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    203 Post(s)

It's great to see development being done and I'm sure it's well written, but for your own sake/sanity, and for the forums, I probably wouldn't advise releasing it. Goldfarming is something this community doesn't support too much. It does have its use for training the skill, but would probably be abused pretty quickly.

Also, this is from a personal opinion, but I've also seen public scripts get absolutely bogged down with a lot of questions by leechers on various issues like basic setup that've either been answered many times, or questions that just show that they aren't even making an effort to seek out an answer without being spoon-fed. Again it's a personal opinion/annoyance, but it's something I've seen time and time again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    40 Post(s)

This has nothing to do with your question but aren't AeroLib and Reflection broken right now? Are you writing a script writing all the functions yourself?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    96 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hackingislol133 View Post
    This has nothing to do with your question but aren't AeroLib and Reflection broken right now? Are you writing a script writing all the functions yourself?
    Not that i'm aware of?
    All of my aerolib and reflection functions are working fine?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    96 Post(s)

You're probably right. I'll hold onto it right now, and may use it for a member application later on.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quoted
    588 Post(s)

Can't be more goldfarmy than an autobeggar script =p & probs high banrate

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quoted
    166 Post(s)

I'm a fan of releasing scripts, no matter what they are. If it increases community activity then that is a positive. If people are interested in scripts that make a bit of money, then those scripts should be available (in higher sections if need be).

Not releasing a script because new members may ask too many questions is ridiculous. That really isn't the right attitude. Not at all. We all have to start somewhere right? Especially considering active users have dropped from 1100 this time last year to <550 now. That's half of the user-base lost in less than a year.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    81 Post(s)

It would be nice if you could release it with some limitations and user restrictions. I wouldn't use the script personally and I'm against others having the chance to gold farm, but your script could potentially help others improve their own programming skills.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    203 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Laquisha View Post
    I'm a fan of releasing scripts, no matter what they are. If it increases community activity then that is a positive. If people are interested in scripts that make a bit of money, then those scripts should be available (in higher sections if need be).

Not releasing a script because new members may ask too many questions is ridiculous. That really isn't the right attitude. Not at all. We all have to start somewhere right? Especially considering active users have dropped from 1100 this time last year to <550 now. That's half of the user-base lost in less than a year.
    I understand that, and I agree the forum does need new blood. Perhaps it would be better to release the script just for that, its a fair point. I did just want to clarify though, I'm still more referring to the rush of low effort questions that tend to be much greater in multitude than honest answer seeking ones.

I enjoy seeing people asking actual scripting questions, people were very helpful and nice to me when i first started, but take a bit more annoyance to posts in threads saying something like "This doesn't work" or "Is this going to be updated" or posting a question that's been answered many times and can be found by just scrolling up.

I probably think it happens more than it actually does.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    96 Post(s)

I've just started uploading scripts, so I guess I'm lucky I haven't seen much yet lol.

Thread Information