Thread: Interested in assembly programming?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    81 Post(s)

Default Interested in assembly programming?

If a handful of users are interested in learning basics of assembly, I will provide small tutorials and basic exercises. If you are interested post below.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    203 Post(s)

I'm down to learn some more assembly! It was quite the experience in my architecture class. I've been told that there's some success in starting off teaching programming with simplified assembly which I've thought has had its merits.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    81 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by yourule97 View Post
    I'm down to learn some more assembly! It was quite the experience in my architecture class. I've been told that there's some success in starting off teaching programming with simplified assembly which I've thought has had its merits.
    The big issue that I foresee with that approach is completely discouraging novices and expecting too much from them to start with.
    The headache that goes into your first hello world (presuming that you understand the code instead of copying) in assembly alone would leave me thinking "programming is useless".

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    71 Post(s)

I see no reason why not to!
    Feel free to ask me any questions, I will do my best to answer them!

Previously known as YouPee.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    203 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Suburbia View Post
    The big issue that I foresee with that approach is completely discouraging novices and expecting too much from them to start with.
    The headache that goes into your first hello world (presuming that you understand the code instead of copying) in assembly alone would leave me thinking "programming is useless".
    Well of course, if we used any of the actual assembly languages, I'm pretty sure no one would be in computer science. Also, since it's so low level, hello world might not be the best starting project. Maybe just adding things would be simple enough. It gives a good starting point

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    81 Post(s)

Sorry for the lack of following up. I got distracted. I'll edit this post with some more information at some point today.
    Quote Originally Posted by yourule97 View Post
    Well of course, if we used any of the actual assembly languages, I'm pretty sure no one would be in computer science. Also, since it's so low level, hello world might not be the best starting project. Maybe just adding things would be simple enough. It gives a good starting point
    I think there are pros and cons to both ways to introduce the language. Ideally digital logic, registers, and other foundation would be developed. The issue with that though is that may people lose interest. I'll post details on the compiler soon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I will be awaiting for the compiler. Thanks

Thread Information