Thread: Somewhere to start

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Question Somewhere to start

Hey there everyone.

So a long while ago I intended on starting a gold farm and dabbled into using Simba for it, and so I commissioned a private script. After using it for some time I inevitably got banned.

I really didn't experiment all that much of it, but when I was going through highschool I was hugely interested in learning coding; whilst of course playing a large amount of RuneScape.

After essentially failing my goldfarm I remembered how interesting this forum was along with Simba it self. I came back here today in order to try and reignite my passion for both RuneScape and computers in general, which have since decayed since highschool out in the big boy world.

I want to start learning how to make my own scripts.

[I TRIED TO LINK URLs TO DAN THE MANS AEROLIB BASED OSRS 'FIRST SCRIPT GUIDE AND COH3N'S 'THE BEGINNERS GUIDE' HERE BUT I DONT HAVE THE POST COUNT ]

I've found these two guides to help me along, which by the way I'm very appreciative for.

This community seems absolutely outstanding after scrawling all over what I could see of the forums for quite some time.

Anyway, I was wondering if any of you members had any and all kinds of advice for me. I'm pretty new to this, gave up learning coding years ago but now i'm keen to start up again.

Shoutout to Dan The Man for being a fellow Aussie, and for making this excellent guide.

Cheers

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quoted
    588 Post(s)

Working with other people, even if sometimes in only very little amounts, has almost always been instrumental in me progressing further.
    Write a script with another person, write a script for another person (e.g srl application/public script), and/or simply interact with other people on the forums/irc/etc. Peer/social pressure can be a powerful thing, especially if you're constantly fighting procrastination like a lot of us tend to.

gl dude

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by acow View Post
    especially if you're constantly fighting procrastination like a lot of us tend to.

gl dude
    Ahahaha this 1000x

Thanks for the heads up really looking forward to it.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    51 Post(s)

It's a lot easier to learn when you have something you actually want to make. That's what makes starting off with something like game cheating a very effective way to learn to code. When you learn from books, youtube, etc.. you end up making calculators or some other boring app for which there are already 1000 better alternatives.

So start off with a script you want to make, then figure out how to make it. Pick a simple script to start with, for example a 'chop n drop'. Those tutorials you wanted to link are fantastic. Use other already released scripts for reference. If you want anything answered, just ask

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    368 Post(s)

Glad the tutorial could help you :P

Feel free to hit me up if you have any questions as well.

Everybody's motivation is different.
    Some learn by studying books and try to understand everything before they even attempt to code.
    Others (like myself) learn by giving it a go.

A few pointers.

Read the tutorials: You have already read through a few tutorials and that is great. It is advised to study the tutorials and even try and use the techniques in a simple script. For example, if the tutorial teaches you how to use the mouse to interact with Runescape, make a mock script that can click on the prayer tab and then prayer flick. This will help imprint your understanding of what the tutorial is trying to teach.

Think of a project: You are on Villavu to learn how to program for Runescape (I assume). As Borland said, having a passion project really helps to keep you motivated and interested (because you really need to be both). Having something that you want to automate inside of the game, then breaking that process into separate tasks, and then learning how to program those tasks makes it easier to digest.

Learning from other scripts: There is an abundance of scripts out there to learn from. If you are struggling on a process (like trying to identify a mining rock, or how to create an inventory item) you can look at other scripts and see how they do it. Everyone has their own style, and you will need to find a style that really speaks to you.

Ask lots of questions: There will be times that you will simply get stuck. I remember when I was writing my first herblore script in SRL5 (didn't know of Aerolib's existence!), I was trying to understand how to withdraw from the bank. I went and did all of the measurements manually because I had no idea that the include already had functions that included this, and tried to use a function that had nothing to do with bank withdrawal, to withdraw from the bank. Naturally this didn't work lol.
    I decided to ask on the forums and I had a great response (like always) from the members here.
    Ask as many questions as you can/want. If you can't find the answer you are looking for, or even want to clarify something, ask away!
    Doing it publicly on a thread means that other can learn from the answers to your question, but privately via PM is also ok.

Have a goal: When I came to this forum, I was a total leech. I used the scripts in the public section and had no intention of learning how to script.
    I was really only here because Robotz in Disguise went offline and this seemed like a solid replacement for color botting.
    After waiting over 12 months for RID to come back online (lol...right?) I decided to give it a go myself. I was planning to learn to script to get access to SRL members and all of the epic scripts that I heard existed in there.
    Your goal may simply be to learn programming which is great. It may also be to become an SRL member, or teach others what you have learnt. Whatever the motivation, set yourself a goal and you increase your reach and your chance of success.

It is great seeing a fellow Aussie on here and I really hope to see you around

Feel free to add me on steam if you have any questions as well (PM me for name).

Cheers!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Thanks so much brother. This sort of response really means a lot to me and I appreciate it a great deal. I really mean that. This community seems like the exact kind of thing that I need to get myself going. I honestly value and respect all of you members' very much, and i'm so happy to have a place to seek advice and hopefully help others.

In terms of my contribution to this forums, so far my experience is minimal. One thing that I can offer however, is a very up to date guide on how to setup Simba on Linux (Debian specifically), and how to use SSH systems like PuTTy to make everything work properly. I know there are already a couple of guides but they seems really old and are usually to do with Ubuntu. I can also help with setting up Simba within a VPS (Linux specifically because they're usually cheaper to maintain and rent). If that is something that people would want then i'm very happy to help!

The goals that i've so far set out are to create a NMZ bot that essentially just prayer flicks to maintain 1hp and drinks absorps. I saw a similar post by cabbiethefirst although I want to make a bit more of a developed and extensive script of my own, to try and learn from a simple(ish) script for a beginner.

After that my long term goal is to make scripts that complete quests straight off of tutorial island, in order to reduce ban frequency and create more legitimate looking accounts; which I have seen is somewhat of an issue, as well as experiencing this issue in trying to start up my own goldfarm in the past.

I'll send you a PM for that steam friendship. I'll keep in touch.

Thanks so much for the response.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dan the man View Post
    Feel free to add me on steam if you have any questions as well (PM me for name).

Cheers!
    Tried to send you a PM but it failed cus I have a low post count ahahaha. Not about that spam life in order to increase post count. I wanna do this legit

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by goodgag View Post
    Tried to send you a PM but it failed cus I have a low post count ahahaha. Not about that spam life in order to increase post count. I wanna do this legit
    Lol all good mate. Flicked you my steam link.

Edit: Just read your post above this one lol.
    Any knowledge that you can bring to the forums that are not already posted is always appreciated. A guide like that would be fantastic.

In regards to your NMZ script, I did exactly the same thing once and it was my first Aerolib script. I have since developed it into something I am proud of and I am sure you can use it for reference if you wanted to construct your own. It is posted on the JR members section which requires 25 posts and 1 month on Villavu.
    Last edited by Dan the man; 02-04-2017 at 01:36 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    32 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by goodgag View Post
    One thing that I can offer however, is a very up to date guide on how to setup Simba on Linux (Debian specifically), and how to use SSH systems like PuTTy to make everything work properly. I know there are already a couple of guides but they seems really old and are usually to do with Ubuntu.
    I would be interested in this! I would like to start experimenting with the RiPi3 soon, so this would be great.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

I'll try and get around to making one when I have the time

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    341 Post(s)

I would also suggest making a 'bot' account one you dont mind losing... find a chore on runescape you hate.. read/learn or ask for help on how to automate that given chore.

once you have completed this.. then comes the fun. it will become an addiction to refine refine and finally refine 1000 times;

soon after refinement; you may add banking and walking.. now you will have a stride in your step and will only use your own homegrown scripts.

<------------------>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Thanks man, i've seen all your posts around. This is really motivating

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)

Best of luck to you goodgag! I am in the same boat as you. I recently came back to the game and now I am here to learn!

Thread Information