Thread: Does Jagex continue to monitor IP's?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    28 Post(s)

Default Does Jagex continue to monitor IP's?

About 3-4 years ago, my main acc got banned, and for that reason jagex has been continuously monitoring my IP, resulting in the banning of many alts.

Its been about 2 years since I last botted, so I was just wondering if there is a point where Jagex stops watching your IP, or will they continue to watch my IP due to my perm ban?

Thanks, Moneymake

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quoted
    620 Post(s)

I'd be shocked if your IP hasn't changed in that time and that runescape would keep an IP in a "watch" database for that time. With dynamic IP's they'd have tens of millions in the database by now.
    #slack4admin2016
    <slacky> I will build a wall
    <slacky> I will ban reflection and OGL hooking until we know what the hell is going on

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quoted
    588 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Moneymake View Post
    and for that reason jagex has been continuously monitoring my IP, resulting in the banning of many alts.
    lol. Is there any reasoning behind this outside of you being quickly banned when macroing?

Quote Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
    I'd be shocked if your IP hasn't changed in that time and that runescape would keep an IP in a "watch" database for that time. With dynamic IP's they'd have tens of millions in the database by now.
    An ISP giving out a static IP & the customer not changing ISPs for a few years would be shocking?
    Last edited by acow; 02-18-2017 at 11:03 PM.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quoted
    620 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by acow View Post
    lol. Is there any reasoning behind this outside of you being quickly banned when macroing?

An ISP giving out a static IP & the customer not changing ISPs for a few years would be shocking?
    ISP's normally rotate static IP's every so often unless you pay for it (at least in the UK)
    #slack4admin2016
    <slacky> I will ban reflection and OGL hooking until we know what the hell is going on

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quoted
    588 Post(s)

ISP's normally rotate static IP's every so often unless you pay for it (at least in the UK)
    Oh, any idea why they do that over there?

Here [in the states] I can only remember ever getting a static ip address. Only times I remember the ipv4 changing was when logging into the router and messing with the mac address (this was a while back), or when moving to a different house/ISP.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    28 Post(s)

lol. Is there any reasoning behind this outside of you being quickly banned when Macroing?

Not really ,but I have heard that jagex tracks Ip when u get banned, and my Alts were being banned within a day , when botting only for 2 hrs max, so kinda just assumed that was why. But yeah not certain on that.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    256 Post(s)

They might. Using the Tiered Bot Detection theory (Jagex uses a detection system split up in tiers, for example Tier 1 is low-level bot detection running 100% of the time on all players that flags possible botters, Tier 2 is further analytics on the account that's been flagged by Tier 1, then finally Tier 3 is decision/punishment) It'd make sense for Jagex to flag IP's that've been either flagged or banned by Tier 3, to further prevent, or quickly detect future goldfarming/botting.

So it might work like this:

You start goldfarming, you're running 10 accounts. One day, all your accounts are banned. Tier 3 recognizes these 10 accounts were on the same IP, and they were all banned for Goldfarming/Macroing Major. Tier 3 then adds that IP to a 'Flagged IP' Database

While Tier 1 is running, it checks that accounts IP to see if it's in the list of the Flagged IP Database, if it is, it immediately passes that account to Tier 2 for further analyzing, and the cycle continues. It's much cheaper, easier, and faster to flag previous botted IP's, and toss that it in, in the Tier 1 detection process. Remember, Tier 1 only flags accounts to be further investigated. Tier 3 is what makes the decision, and it only gets passed onto Tier 3 if Tier 2 passes it on.

Of course, this is all speculation. Jagex are the only ones who knows how it works. So frankly, you won't be getting a straight answer unless you can contact a JMod Directly.

Best practice? Get your IP changed. Ask your ISP for a new one, say you're getting DDoSed. I wouldn't recommend a VPN, since pretty much every IP a VPN could possibly hand out is most likely flagged already.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    71 Post(s)

Pretty sure lying about getting DDoSed can get you into trouble, and should be rather easy to fact check. How about you just request a new one the honest way, and perhaps pay a small summ? Here in Finland you pay to get a static IP, not the other way. Each time I reboot my router I get a new IP which is nice. @Twinki;

But for the sake of arguing, IP would never be the sole "Identification trace" that jagex would use to connect people. Just the fact that all accounts you've been playing on is stored in the cache proves this theory false (although I doubt they ever send that info over back since it can easily be manipulated).
    Last edited by Joopi; 02-19-2017 at 12:11 PM.
    Feel free to ask me any questions, I will do my best to answer them!

Previously known as YouPee.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    341 Post(s)

HARDWARE IDs?

That is far easier to store.. maybe run things through Oracle VM VirtualBox

I have yet to do it.. as my primary ssd it full and i run out of usable memory all the time...

Once i upgrade SSD. i may in fact run a three Oracle VM VirtualBox - with 2-3 bots each. see how i go.

<------------------>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    28 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Twinki View Post
    They might. Using the Tiered Bot Detection theory (Jagex uses a detection system split up in tiers, for example Tier 1 is low-level bot detection running 100% of the time on all players that flags possible botters, Tier 2 is further analytics on the account that's been flagged by Tier 1, then finally Tier 3 is decision/punishment) It'd make sense for Jagex to flag IP's that've been either flagged or banned by Tier 3, to further prevent, or quickly detect future goldfarming/botting.

So it might work like this:

You start goldfarming, you're running 10 accounts. One day, all your accounts are banned. Tier 3 recognizes these 10 accounts were on the same IP, and they were all banned for Goldfarming/Macroing Major. Tier 3 then adds that IP to a 'Flagged IP' Database

While Tier 1 is running, it checks that accounts IP to see if it's in the list of the Flagged IP Database, if it is, it immediately passes that account to Tier 2 for further analyzing, and the cycle continues. It's much cheaper, easier, and faster to flag previous botted IP's, and toss that it in, in the Tier 1 detection process. Remember, Tier 1 only flags accounts to be further investigated. Tier 3 is what makes the decision, and it only gets passed onto Tier 3 if Tier 2 passes it on.

Of course, this is all speculation. Jagex are the only ones who knows how it works. So frankly, you won't be getting a straight answer unless you can contact a JMod Directly.

Best practice? Get your IP changed. Ask your ISP for a new one, say you're getting DDoSed. I wouldn't recommend a VPN, since pretty much every IP a VPN could possibly hand out is most likely flagged already.
    This seems like a logical system that a company would use, so it's probably a valid and similar theory to what Jagex actually does. Yeah at this point I would have to do something to change my IP haha, cause I believe the only way to change my IP is to switch off my modem for a few days, which is not possible in my household. Otherwise as you said, finding a way to change it through my ISP is also an option.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quoted
    620 Post(s)

Oh, any idea why they do that over there?

Here [in the states] I can only remember ever getting a static ip address. Only times I remember the ipv4 changing was when logging into the router and messing with the mac address (this was a while back), or when moving to a different house/ISP.
    Since it stops you from setting up a webserver so easily and allows them to charge more afaik
    #slack4admin2016

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quoted
    588 Post(s)

Since it stops you from setting up a webserver so easily and allows them to charge more afaik
    Ah that makes sense. Funny how I would've been happy to pay extra for a dynamic ip that changed whenever I rebooted the router.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    256 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AFools View Post
    HARDWARE IDs?

That is far easier to store.. maybe run things through Oracle VM VirtualBox

I have yet to do it.. as my primary ssd it full and i run out of usable memory all the time...

Once i upgrade SSD. i may in fact run a three Oracle VM VirtualBox - with 2-3 bots each. see how i go.
    Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if HWID are stored and used, and IP's are simply ignored. It's possible, for good measure i'd definitely suggest using a Virtual Machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Joopi View Post
    Pretty sure lying about getting DDoSed can get you into trouble, and should be rather easy to fact check. How about you just request a new one the honest way, and perhaps pay a small summ? Here in Finland you pay to get a static IP, not the other way. Each time I reboot my router I get a new IP which is nice. @Twinki;
    The consumer usually doesn't know what a DDoS is, so I seriously doubt a customer would get in trouble for asking for a new IP, because they think they're being DDoSed. It's really just an excuse.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

I don't think jagex would have a ban on sight for someone caught botting one or two of their accounts.

If you are someone like FishyRs, who is ban on sight, that's different. There is merit to the connected/related account theory though and based on some reddit posts from the mods themselves, depending on how serious your offense is they may just ban every account they know you own.

Having said all that, I've had so many accounts banned for botting with power bot, Kbot and all those old ones. You should be fine.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    37 Post(s)

Does a virtual machine hide your hardware id?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DonVitoCorleone View Post
    I guess it will generate a new id out of the virtual machines virtual hardware.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DonVitoCorleone View Post
    It doesn't "hide" it because it's like two different and separate computers. So yeah the hardware id is unique.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    341 Post(s)

It will generate a new MAC address(can be re-generated at will). As for hardware ID; you will need to try apply addons and adjust the hardware as far removed from the default.

<------------------>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

I would put each bot in a separate VM with a VPN/Proxy as they sometimes seem to chainban accounts.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    37 Post(s)

Thanks for the answers! I think I'll try it out

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

They do flag ips, and there are companies they can hire to help keep that database. I know for a fact, I own two internet's, on has a dynamic ip I can switch by restarting modem. Other has a static ip, the static IP now gets accounts locked when I make them. It's very clear that the IP is flagged.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2739 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheOsrsplayer View Post
    They do flag ips, and there are companies they can hire to help keep that database. I know for a fact, I own two internet's, on has a dynamic ip I can switch by restarting modem. Other has a static ip, the static IP now gets accounts locked when I make them. It's very clear that the IP is flagged.
    they could also flag IP ranges lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Most likely, although most of my accounts that I've botted on then transferred the GPs over to my main have been banned although my main hasn't.

Thread Information