Thread: RuneScape on arm/arm64 devices.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    98 Post(s)

Default RuneScape on arm/arm64 devices.

Running RuneScape on low-power single board computers is, in theory, a cost-effective solution for botting. However, it's less favorable considering the capabilities of SMART and hardware virtualization (e.g. if you're not already running Windows, create a VM; then run multiple bots in that VM).

Sadly it looks like this will not be possible for some time. All devices I am aware of have GPUs which implement OpenGL ES of some version, which, for reasons unknown to me, is kept separate from the main OpenGL interface description. For this reason using common ARM devices will not allow you to use an X11 desktop with hardware acceleration. Programs can specifically request OpenGL ES acceleration but this leaves you with a situation similar to Optimus (or the Linux equivalent, Bumblebee) except that you can't actually solve it.

Solutions I am aware of:
    1. Port X11 to support OpenGL ES.
    2. Create a shim that will run OpenGL programs of reduced functionality under OpenGL ES.
    3. Wait for CPU performance to catch up.

So far the last seems like the only reasonable solution.

There's a group of people running private servers which seems to have an RS Classic client that runs on Android, but I'm not sure if they simply reimplemented all of the graphics themselves: link.
    The jealous temper of mankind, ever more disposed to censure than
    to praise the work of others, has constantly made the pursuit of new
    methods and systems no less perilous than the search after unknown
    lands and seas.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quoted
    620 Post(s)

Although it isn't power efficient you can get cheap AMD64 CPU/work stations from old office supply sales for cheap which would be a decent option in the short term.
    #slack4admin2016
    <slacky> I will build a wall
    <slacky> I will ban reflection and OGL hooking until we know what the hell is going on

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    98 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
    Although it isn't power efficient you can get cheap AMD64 CPU/work stations from old office supply sales for cheap which would be a decent option in the short term.
    Yeah. I was wondering at which point it would be wise to scale out a bot army, and also just considering buying a cheap computer to bot with as this might be more convenient than running everything on one computer despite hardware costs. It's possible to build something using an AMD APU that is about $150 and complete, but this relies on some good rebates. There's also some "embedded" Intel or AMD boards that should have enough power to run RuneScape (but a full computer might be just as much as if you'd used an APU, and the APUs tend to be far better).

If I had a source of free or cheap office PCs I'd look into it. I have two servers which should still be usable, but they're loud. Very loud. I have one of those CPU/motherboard combos that I need to try.
    lands and seas.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    71 Post(s)

I had access to some 300 Raspberry Pi's a year or two ago, but I tried botting on one and was only able to get 4-5 fps on OSRS with it :/
    Feel free to ask me any questions, I will do my best to answer them!

Previously known as YouPee.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

Maybe a raspberry pi 3?
    Looks like this guy can run it: https://www.reddit.com/r/2007scape/comments/4z718d/runescape_on_raspberry_pi_3_b_d/
    Last edited by Vaslaw; 03-06-2017 at 05:52 AM.

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1869 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Vaslaw View Post
    Maybe a raspberry pi 3?
    Looks like this guy can run it: https://www.reddit.com/r/2007scape/c...erry_pi_3_b_d/
    RPi 3's can run OSRS at a decent fps, last I checked.
    GitLab projects | Simba 1.4 | Find me on IRC or Discord | ScapeRune scripts | Come play bot ScapeRune!

<BenLand100> we're just in the transitional phase where society reclassifies guns as Bad™ before everyone gets laser pistols

Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Quoted
    580 Post(s)

Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1598 Post(s)

I get 3 FPS.. Perhaps I'm calculating it wrong because it doesn't seem to run too bad.. but then again, when I run it on my laptop, it hits 60FPS stabled so I think I'm calculating it right . I VNC'd into the PI3 server and just ran an OSRS loader I made.

http://i.imgur.com/Najxgpj.jpg

Video of it running (Doesn't look like 2FPS but I have no idea what 2FPS really looks like.. so judge for yourself.. oh and don't mind the audio, my aunt is watching the news which happens to be casting the speech):
    https://youtu.be/krqZwr55zEk

Edit: Sorry for the large images.. not sure how to size images on villavu.. OSX automatically takes Retina screenshots :l
    Last edited by Brandon; 03-01-2017 at 03:24 AM.
    I am Ggzz..
    Hackintosher

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    72 Post(s)

You should be able to get at least 3 FPS. That's what I got on a really really cheap 100eu android phone back in 2011, using a debian chroot and OpenJDK. Main limitation was memory. Had to use the Shark JVM to get it running at all.
    I made a new script, check it out!.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quoted
    588 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
    I get 3 FPS.. Perhaps I'm calculating it wrong because it doesn't seem to run too bad.. but then again, when I run it on my laptop, it hits 60FPS stabled so I think I'm calculating it right . I VNC'd into the PI3 server and just ran an OSRS loader I made.

Video of it running (Doesn't look like 2FPS but I have no idea what 2FPS really looks like.. so judge for yourself.. oh and don't mind the audio, my aunt is watching the news which happens to be casting the speech):

Edit: Sorry for the large images.. not sure how to size images on villavu.. OSX automatically takes Retina screenshots :l
    Nah that doesn't look like 10-15 fps. 2-3 sounds right.

Mentioned
    296 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1094 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by acow View Post
    Yeah FPS looks correct, I bet the VNC is eating up a lot of resources too.

Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1598 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by acow View Post
    Well.. Damn. Never thought I'd ever see FPS that low and say "doesn't look so bad" lol. It's running on Cat7e cable at 100Mbps down I wonder. how it'll run on the Latte Panda or UDoo boards.
    Last edited by Brandon; 03-01-2017 at 03:35 AM.
    I am Ggzz..
    Hackintosher

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1869 Post(s)

Well.. Damn. Never thought I'd ever see FPS that low and say "doesn't look so bad" lol. It's running on Cat7e cable at 100Mbps down I wonder how it'll run on the Latte Panda or UDoo boards.
    Asus Tinker Board might be a candidate as well
    GitLab projects | Simba 1.4 | Find me on IRC or Discord | ScapeRune scripts | Come play bot ScapeRune!

<BenLand100> we're just in the transitional phase where society reclassifies guns as Bad™ before everyone gets laser pistols

Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Quoted
    580 Post(s)

@Brandon; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_Wndbw8ci4

Seems pretty smooth. UDoo probably runs just as well.

Some guy playing league on an UDoo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20lL_8bDo2M
    Last edited by Kasi; 03-01-2017 at 04:54 AM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    98 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kasi View Post
    I was using an ODROID-C2.

(If you're seeing the lightning bolt in the corner you need a bigger power supply. Then, your board will overheat instead of browning out.)

Playing OS3 is doable but not really pleasant. It renders like OSRS used to render during extreme network lag. I will try to complete the tutorial and play some OSRS tomorrow and see if it's any better. When I searched to see if anyone had gotten RS to run on a Raspberry Pi 3 I found a post by someone who had gotten OSRS working and considered it playable. It's worth noting however that currently nobody who has run RS has used GPU acceleration to play as the game uses OpenGL, not OpenGL ES (GLES).

Udoo looks pretty good; with the iGPU it is probably enough to run RS3/OSRS. It might be worth creating a thread to list SBC options and finding the cheapest or most cost effective board.

One of the issues I have with SBCs, especially the higher end ARM ones, is that by the time you've purchased a complete system you might have gone over the price for a slightly larger but vastly more capable x64 motherboard/CPU combo. I'm going to try running a KBN-I/2100 off of a USB stick and a compact power supply. I can't check for sure right now but I think it was around $165 for the board and power supply. If I had gotten a cheaper, non-compact power supply, it would likely have been around $130, which is very close to what I paid for the XU4 or C2. However when run from a USB 3.0 flash drive it should beat them all in terms of IO throughput and CPU/graphics capability.

When the Udoos release I may try the $149 version but I'm collecting SBCs at an alarming rate and really need to stop. It may be unwise to try to run bots on them. I need to brush up on getting Simba working but it seems like it's still best to run it under Windows.

I forget what the max number of clients was when running SMART but I had the thought the other day that it may have been related to RAM bandwidth, in which case, it may be more cost effective to purchase more computers as you only get more RAM controllers in very high end server chips, most of the CPU time of which would be wasted if you were playing RS.
    Last edited by R0b0t1; 03-01-2017 at 06:45 AM.
    lands and seas.

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1869 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by R0b0t1 View Post
    I need to brush up on getting Simba working but it seems like it's still best to run it under Windows.
    I made a post on your other thread with some compilation instructions, have you tried them?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    98 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KeepBotting View Post
    I made a post on your other thread with some compilation instructions, have you tried them?
    Yes, I've gotten it to compile. I tried to test it with some simple FindColor commands but I was unable to get it to be precise and that's probably my fault. I'll look into compiling and setting up SMART next.

I'm saving the ARM boards for last just so I can have something working and working well. During this process I kind of expect to have to either install windows or try to set it up in a VM.
    lands and seas.

Thread Information