Thread: Worth using reflection?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)

Default Worth using reflection?

Hi everybody!

I recently came back to the forums and rs programming. I had a small farm which I used for learning here with simba.

I used reflection or pure color scripts for the farm and I must say all of you are really helpful.

So to get to the point... My question is what would be the best way to use scripts becuse last time I was using reflection, updates were weekly (like now) and it took a good amount of that 7 days for hooks to be updated. I'm not judging or anything just asking a question.

If I knew how to update hooks myself I'd do it but tbh I'm a newbie slowly getting there. For alternative I'd use color script.

Sorry for bad English and I thank you all for the good answers I know are coming!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    51 Post(s)

Sounds like you already know what's what

Reflection requires a lot less from the scripter, essentially just lay out the instructions and that's that.

Color requires you to create a way of finding everything you need. If you need to interact with anything in the game world, you have to accurately find it first then make sure you're not finding something else and so on. Whereas reflection is blind to this, an ID is an ID. Moving through the game world is another challenge. Knowing your position is another. All of those can be done in color but for accurate results it'll need to be tailored to the script it's in.

The upside of color and why I'll only use it: It always is and always will be. It has the most accessibility/least requirements. Can use any client. It doesn't go down with every update. While you can manually update hooks using publicly released hook identifiers to get your script working right away, generally at least a few of the hooks will be broken and if the gamepack has changed a lot then most will be. Your options now are sit and wait for someone else to sort it out, or buy a cheap bottle of wine and get real familiar with that gamepack.

OSRS Color Scripts: Borland_Salamanders | Borland_Iron_Ores
    Utilities & Snippets: [Color] OSBuddy Item Looting

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    71 Post(s)

Only pro to Reflection is its ease of use. You don't have to spend any time scripting with it or use any brain power.
    With that being said, the cons greatly overweigh that of the pros. Hooks are outdated for a long period, but this is easily solvable now that Kyle has hiss updater on github. Quick updates do not, however, guarantee working hooks. Broken hooks are in the nature of updaters, and it's something you'd have to account for in your script if you want a reliable script.

When using the reflection library, you rely too much on its premade methods like .GetMSPoint or whatever it's called. Even with added +- random(5) that creates very bannable patterns. All the methods are very basic and don't vary too much, and you look very botlike. Not to mention you have to use SMART, but that's a whole nother debate.

All in all I think Reflection is good if you just want to learn to most basic of basics like the programming syntax, or you just want your script running. But once you start doing advanced stuff in color it becomes really fun.
    Feel free to ask me any questions, I will do my best to answer them!

Previously known as YouPee.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quoted
    588 Post(s)

It doesn't have to be reflection or color, you can do both. Reflection can be used to getting started, testing ban rates and feasibility. If it's a method that you then want to be able to bot with minimal downtime in the future you could then invest the time in getting it done properly in color. More experience with both also means you can make a much more education decision on which to focus on in the long-term.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)

I thank you all for the replies.

I already know some of the thing you're saying. I made a decently complex color script which worked well for a fair amount of time as well as 1k+ line reflection script so I know couple things about it. I guess I'll just stick with color and learn a bit more about object finding. The thing I like with color is that sometimes the simplest solution will be perfect but on the other hand many things are hard to accomplish.

I'll join you guys some day on irc

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

Also, isn't it that color has a lower banrate than reflection?

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    341 Post(s)

from my experience - Ban rate comes down to quality of script; it is useful to know both languages.. i started on colour and moved to reflection.

Reflection is a stated ALOT faster to get a script "usable"; which allows more time for making it intricate.

Though i do envy the fact i have forgotten much of the AEROLIB functions; but this was because i could never get RSWALK to work.

If you want to understand more about coding started with colour; if you find that a bit of struggle try reflection.

You can mix and match also

<------------------>

Thread Information