Thread: Smoking Pipe Feedback?

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    341 Post(s)

Default Smoking Pipe Feedback?

I am interested in purchasing a smoking pipe;

Possibly a Peterson Pipe; i have no experience with these smoking implements.(i couldn't find any other decent brands, so input would be appreciated)

I was wondering if anyone has any input; experience or the likes.

something like
    Code:
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-Mens-Peterson-Standard-System-Rustic-307PL-/201864177363?hash=item2f000ae6d3:g:QScAAOSwmgJY1Ad

I have recently moved from cigarettes to cigars, yet they are to costly; but i would much rather smoke tobacco than cigarettes these days.

<------------------>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

Heyo, first post in a while.

I am also a former cigarette smoker. Before starting on the old cancer sticks, I was a pipe smoker, and I still am. I have always used Missouri Meerschaum corn cob pipes. I currently own several, all of which I have had great experiences with. They are inexpensive, so I do not mind using a couple as beater pipes for keeping in bags or my toolbox. Peterson pipes are nice if you want to try a briar wood as your first pipe, but I really recommend the corn cob. They are damn near indestructible, don't form a cake like briar so it is easy to try different types of tobacco without issues of flavor mixing, and are cheap so if you are not a huge fan of the corn cob it is not a huge financial loss. Here is the link to the Missouri Meerschaum website:

http://corncobpipe.com/

This was my first pipe from them. I still own and smoke it to this day:

http://corncobpipe.com/missouri-pride-corncob-pipe.html

(I prefer the bent bit btw. It sits more comfortably in my mouth.)

If you really want that briar, I would go to a pipe shop. They should be able to set you up with a great beginner wood pipe at a decent price point. If you want cheap wood, a heard from a friend a while back that the website Etsy has some good pieces for less if you shop around a bit.

Hope this helps.

/Roman

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quoted
    505 Post(s)

I've never smoked anything in my life, so I can't really contribute. But, here's a subreddit that might help: r/PipeTobacco

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quoted
    166 Post(s)

Not even once

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2739 Post(s)

Is your second language english?(cigarettes have tobacco in them that's why I was wondering)

Do you enjoy the taste of tobacco, or do you enjoy(and or are addicted) to nicotine? Seems like you just enjoy the taste of tobacco because cigarettes -> cigars/pipe tobacco is kind of an odd switch. Tobacco pipes & cigars is something you sit down & enjoy, cigarettes are like a part time job that you attend to every hour or so

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quoted
    231 Post(s)

Get anything made out of briar wood. I'd go with a church warden because the smoke is a lot colder when it gets in your mouth. That way you don't burn your tongue if you suck it in too fast. But they're real long and may make you look like a hipster.

I've been smoking pipes for a few years now and its really cheap. You can buy an ounce of tobacco for less than 10 bucks in a store and even less online. As for going from cigarettes, I don't know.. never smoked one. You get a nicotine buzz from the pipe but I don't know how it compares to a cigarette. But you can buy pipe tobacco with a shitload of nicotine and it will probably get you your fix.

Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Quoted
    580 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Camel View Post
    You get a nicotine buzz from the pipe but I don't know how it compares to a cigarette. But you can buy pipe tobacco with a shitload of nicotine and it will probably get you your fix.
    Occasionally smoke tobacco when i need a burst of focus - helps with procrastination. I always used rolling tobacco + rolled my own opposed to buying a pack. I still get the nicotine-buzz, i know some people who smoke regularly and don't get that anymore.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    220 Post(s)

I might get flamed for this, but if you're in it for the nicotine you should look into vaping. I used to be a cigarillo smoker, but started vaping to ween myself off of it. Lots of flavors and you can specify how much mg of nicotine. Recently quit both, now only smoke when i'm out with friends.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quoted
    231 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jstemper View Post
    I might get flamed for this, but if you're in it for the nicotine you should look into vaping. I used to be a cigarillo smoker, but started vaping to ween myself off of it. Lots of flavors and you can specify how much mg of nicotine. Recently quit both, now only smoke when i'm out with friends.
    I know a lot of people who were able to ween themselves of nicotine fairly easily with vapes so they're great for that.

But...

Guilt by association....

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    220 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Camel View Post
    I know a lot of people who were able to ween themselves of nicotine fairly easily with vapes so they're great for that.

But...

Guilt by association....
    fuk, knew it was coming

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2739 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kasi View Post
    Occasionally smoke tobacco when i need a burst of focus - helps with procrastination. I always used rolling tobacco + rolled my own opposed to buying a pack. I still get the nicotine-buzz, i know some people who smoke regularly and don't get that anymore.
    The nicotine buzz is non existent for a smoker. I've quit for like 5-6 weeks, smoked, still didn't get the ol buzz

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    341 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rj View Post
    Is your second language english?(cigarettes have tobacco in them that's why I was wondering)

Do you enjoy the taste of tobacco, or do you enjoy(and or are addicted) to nicotine? Seems like you just enjoy the taste of tobacco because cigarettes -> cigars/pipe tobacco is kind of an odd switch. Tobacco pipes & cigars is something you sit down & enjoy, cigarettes are like a part time job that you attend to every hour or so
    Well; i have been a smoker for more than 12-13 years; i recently quit for 8 weeks... never will i quit again.

When i started smoking again i started smoking cigars with the intentions, my partner wouldn't smoke; But she took a liking to the cigars also.. so it wasn't cost effective and slipped back into cigarettes.

From smoking good quality tobacco in cigars to smoking what is laughably called tobacco in cigarettes.

Something needed to be done. I purchased a Briar Peterson Pipe. Great unit.. I purchased Peterson tobacco also.. well not so great.

I am going to order some better tobacco from the East-coast, so i will have to wait a week or two for it to arrive; unless it gets held up in customs.

50 grams Pipe Tobacco is 60-100 AUD - which i hope to last me 2 weeks.

50 grams ROY Tobacco is 60 AUD - which lasts 1 week.

Pack of 40 Tailored Cigarettes (Pre-rolled) 40-45 AUD Lasts 36-48 hours Depending.

I have a decent vaporizer - spent well over 200 for the unit - have tried many different juices.
    The only positive thing i can say for them, is you can smoke them inside without staining or leaving a smell..
    They leave a terrible taste in your mouth also.

I can list a few reasons why i smoke?

- Helps with procrastination (as KASI stated)
    - You can set a small goal to achieve to be rewarded with a smoke
    - I eat more after smoking and knowing i can smoke after the meal.
    - I am generally in a better mood when smoking.

- And Addiction. **Edit

I also don't drink or anything stronger, So smoking is my only vice left. I wanted to find a better way to enjoy it rather than the dingy fix of smoking cheaply made tobacco multiple times every hour. I have already noticed with the pipe you can last at least a couple hours.

<------------------>

Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Quoted
    580 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AFools View Post

Pack of 40 Tailored Cigarettes (Pre-rolled) 40-45 AUD Lasts 36-48 hours Depending.
    Holy shit, those prices. 50g of rolling Tobacco is £20 here.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2739 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AFools View Post
    Well; i have been a smoker for more than 12-13 years; i recently quit for 8 weeks... never will i quit again.

When i started smoking again i started smoking cigars with the intentions, my partner wouldn't smoke; But she took a liking to the cigars also.. so it wasn't cost effective and slipped back into cigarettes.

From smoking good quality tobacco in cigars to smoking what is laughably called tobacco in cigarettes.

Something needed to be done. I purchased a Briar Peterson Pipe. Great unit.. I purchased Peterson tobacco also.. well not so great.

I am going to order some better tobacco from the East-coast, so i will have to wait a week or two for it to arrive; unless it gets held up in customs.

50 grams Pipe Tobacco is 60-100 AUD - which i hope to last me 2 weeks.

I have a decent vaporizer - spent well over 200 for the unit - have tried many different juices.
    The only positive thing i can say for them, is you can smoke them inside without staining or leaving a smell..
    They leave a terrible taste in your mouth also.

I can list a few reasons why i smoke?

- Helps with procrastination (as KASI stated)
    - You can set a small goal to achieve to be rewarded with a smoke
    - I eat more after smoking and knowing i can smoke after the meal.
    - I am generally in a better mood when smoking.

- And Addiction. **Edit

I also don't drink or anything stronger, So smoking is my only vice left. I wanted to find a better way to enjoy it rather than the dingy fix of smoking cheaply made tobacco multiple times every hour. I have already noticed with the pipe you can last at least a couple hours.
    I think it's a bit different in the US, a pack of cigarettes is like $5-10 (and rolling tobacco works out to about $1/pack) so cigarettes are pretty cheap

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    71 Post(s)

Pretty cheap haha!!!!
    In Russia a pack of cigarettes (20-25) cost anywhere between .80 to 2 dollars.
    Rolling was the equivalent of .30$ for 20 cigarettes.

And this is on Nevskij Prospect in Saint Petersburg...
    Feel free to ask me any questions, I will do my best to answer them!

Previously known as YouPee.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    341 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joopi View Post
    Pretty cheap haha!!!!
    In Russia a pack of cigarettes (20-25) cost anywhere between .80 to 2 dollars.
    Rolling was the equivalent of .30$ for 20 cigarettes.

And this is on Nevskij Prospect in Saint Petersburg...
    Are you Russian? or spent some time in Russia?

<------------------>

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    341 Post(s)

As it turns out... i really enjoy my pipe. Most people savior it end the mouth; then exhale..

I like to let it mellow in the mouth before inhaling through the nose.. which collects a nice portion of diluted but not to much smoke into the lungs.

I am hoping to get better pipe tobacco soon... My pipe is just starting to be sufficiently broken in.

The maintenance of my pipe has become a serious thing almost an OCD addiction.

With all that said; if your looking for something which can provide a lot more vital Nicotine.. i Suggest a PIPE. (RJ)

Nothing better than a morning coffee and a well packed pipe for the morning. No need to roll or worry you will run out of tailors.

<------------------>

Thread Information