Poll: Which competition type would you participate in?

Thread: OSRS Scripting Competition

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    98 Post(s)

Default OSRS Scripting Competition

This thread is an attempt to see how many people would be interested in participating if one was put on. The prize would likely be a cup but if possible I would like it to be an increase in rank; unfortunately I don't think anyone would agree to the latter if there were only one or two participants.

I had been considering this for a while as in my efforts to continue development on Simba I found myself unable to test it because there were no working scripts. I set out to write some of my own but soon realized I did not have the time to do that to my satisfaction.

There are two possibilities for the competition, seen above in the poll options:
    • Set goal.
    • General use of Simba.

If the goal is set scripts must be created to satisfy a goal that is fairly limited in scope such as training a single skill. The goals would probably be something a level three could accomplish. Skills and suggested locations would likely be chosen so there is room to add in additional goals if the contestant wants.

If there is no explicit goal then scripts would be judged on how well they do what they set out to do, with some eye towards how ambitious those goals are. This allows for the possibility of training something far above the what a fresh account could access however the judges would need to be able to run the script at some point.

As to my suggestions for the competition: Many of the extensions commonly used with Simba are unmaintained, and one in particular, AeroLib, has no source available for it even if it is open source. From a development standpoint it makes sense to abandon them so that Simba's reliance on old development tools can be eliminated and functionality can be added back in to it once it is working with the newer FreePascal toolchain. For this reason I would like to make it a competition requirement or at least a suggestion not to use things like AeroLib so that there will be code to test Simba with as development continues. The development goals might be workable even if the old extensions are used, so I can't really complain if everyone wants to use old plugins, but avoiding old plugins would make things easier.

It might go without saying but please only vote if you intend to compete, you can see what the votes are by clicking "View Poll Results."
    Last edited by R0b0t1; 04-13-2017 at 04:10 PM.
    The jealous temper of mankind, ever more disposed to censure than
    to praise the work of others, has constantly made the pursuit of new
    methods and systems no less perilous than the search after unknown
    lands and seas.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quoted
    505 Post(s)

What do you want people to use instead of Aerolib? I'm interested in scripting competitions, but it's hard to figure out what you're proposing.

also
    Quote Originally Posted by R0b0t1 View Post
    AeroLib, has no source available for it even if it is open source
    wat.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    98 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Citrus View Post
    What do you want people to use instead of Aerolib? I'm interested in scripting competitions, but it's hard to figure out what you're proposing.

also
    wat.
    Most likely recreating parts of older SRL for very specific purposes, but like I said, if nobody wants to or feels like they could do that then the competition wouldn't consider factors such as plugin use. I will point out that detecting most objects is actually very easy to do, the difficulty is in walking large distances and properly manipulating the minimap.

AeroLib is a set of includes as well as a plugin. I tried to find the plugin's source while trying to update Simba but was unable to do so. Someone (Olly?) suggested the source was uploaded to the forums once as an attachment, but those attachments are from older forum software and need to be migrated forward. It's unknown if what was uploaded, if it was uploaded, corresponds to the most recently released AeroLib plugin.
    lands and seas.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quoted
    505 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by R0b0t1 View Post
    AeroLib is a set of includes as well as a plugin. I tried to find the plugin's source while trying to update Simba but was unable to do so. Someone (Olly?) suggested the source was uploaded to the forums once as an attachment, but those attachments are from older forum software and need to be migrated forward. It's unknown if what was uploaded, if it was uploaded, corresponds to the most recently released AeroLib plugin.
    AFAIK Aerolib uses bg5's AND_TPA, slacky's walker and ocr, Brandon's prosocks, and SMART. Is there something else?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    98 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Citrus View Post
    AFAIK Aerolib uses bg5's AND_TPA, slacky's walker and ocr, Brandon's prosocks, and SMART. Is there something else?
    Thanks. I'll have to check again.
    lands and seas.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

I like the idea of a competition, but I'm still pretty clueless.

Also, I like using AeroLib because for OSRS it seems to work pretty well.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    368 Post(s)

Yeah I am pretty committed to Aerolib personally. Would love to see a competition that revolves around making a public script for the forums, performing a certain task etc.

Thread Information