Thread: Monitor Recommendations

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    98 Post(s)

Default Monitor Recommendations

I received some suggestions for 144Hz 1400p FreeSync and G-Sync enabled monitors but they all seem to be upwards of $500. What options are there for higher than full HD monitors or monitors faster than 60Hz? I think I would prefer IPS unless TN is far cheaper.

Really, I might just get one or two of the monitors on sale at Microcenter. My plan had been to save up for 4k monitors but one of the uses for the monitor right now is going to be gaming.

Any suggestions appreciated, and if a monitor takes a very performant GPU please feel free to suggest that as well.
    The jealous temper of mankind, ever more disposed to censure than
    to praise the work of others, has constantly made the pursuit of new
    methods and systems no less perilous than the search after unknown
    lands and seas.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quoted
    588 Post(s)

1080p 144hz would probably be the way to go for a more affordable gaming monitor.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    98 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by acow View Post
    1080p 144hz would probably be the way to go for a more affordable gaming monitor.
    Can you suggest any brands? Do I need to pay attention to the quality of the monitors (are they sold with defects being claimed to be allowable, etc)?
    lands and seas.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    81 Post(s)

Post your hardware as well so we don't give you a suggestion that can't be utilized.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    242 Post(s)

I got two of https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16824009769 for my latest build. I love 'em, but I also got them for 350 each.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    98 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Suburbia View Post
    Post your hardware as well so we don't give you a suggestion that can't be utilized.
    I have an i7-4770k and 16GB of RAM. I don't yet have a GPU which is why I was asking about what type would be needed if I wanted e.g. 144Hz 2k or just 2k or 4k.

Per that other thread I might get the ~$200 AMD card which was said to be suitable for 1080p gaming. Would the same or a similar card work if all I wanted was high resolution for applications and downsampled 1080p gaming?
    lands and seas.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    81 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by R0b0t1 View Post
    I have an i7-4770k and 16GB of RAM. I don't yet have a GPU which is why I was asking about what type would be needed if I wanted e.g. 144Hz 2k or just 2k or 4k.

Per that other thread I might get the ~$200 AMD card which was said to be suitable for 1080p gaming. Would the same or a similar card work if all I wanted was high resolution for applications and downsampled 1080p gaming?
    I think you need to decide on the GPU first.
    I've been away from the hardware scene for a while, but if the problems from the past persist:
    *Was planning on writing more and giving a suggestion, but it hit me that I'm not qualified to comment*

I would decide on what type of games you'll be playing so you can decide on a GPU. Then I'd head over to:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum-130.html

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    328 Post(s)

Brand wise, Samsung are the most solid monitors I've used and also have generally the highest rated reviews across the board.

On the flip side, ACER typically have the worst and I've personally had awful experiences with them. Unless dead pixels are your cup of tea.

Performance wise, I think acow hit the nail on the head.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    98 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Suburbia View Post
    I think you need to decide on the GPU first.
    I've been away from the hardware scene for a while, but if the problems from the past persist:
    *Was planning on writing more and giving a suggestion, but it hit me that I'm not qualified to comment*

I would decide on what type of games you'll be playing so you can decide on a GPU. Then I'd head over to:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum-130.html
    I'm kind of in a bind because what makes the most sense for me is getting a monitor first to be used with a laptop's mDP port, then getting the graphics card for my desktop. I might be able to do it the other way.

Based on some quick looking it seems like I'd need an NVIDIA 1080[Ti] for 4K gaming. 2K gaming with a 980 is reportedly doable per Tom's Hardware. 2K seems like a sweet spot.

I had been considering https://www.amazon.com/Dell-Monitor-.../dp/B00PC9HFNY but I got one before returning it and had some issues with tearing, but it seemed to be being driven at 30Hz despite Intel's claims otherwise. VESA mounts and the ability to rotate it into portrait are desirable. Unfortunately that specific monitor still seems like the base price for 4K monitors and is still the only one with VESA mounts I could find.

Please don't think I disregarded the Acer monitor link, it looks okay. The only reservations I have are that a 1ms GTG time doesn't say much (because for example other monitors with a 5ms GTG time have overall better refresh frequencies because it's possible to game the statistic for those specific colors), and the lack of VESA mounts, though that comes later.

Also thinking of: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16824236313.
    Maybe: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16824160278.
    Last edited by R0b0t1; 04-20-2017 at 06:00 PM.
    lands and seas.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

I recommend the BenQ-XL2420T in 144hz: http://www.benq.us/product/monitor/XL2420T/features/ ;

This monitor made my CSGO rank go up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

What kind of work do you do on your monitor?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

If you are looking for monitor for photo editing, check these out http://thedigitalcamera.net/best-mon...d-photography/

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    368 Post(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

ASUS VG248QE

Very popular 144Hz 1080P monitor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

What is the best monitor for editing photo??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    84 Post(s)

Double gravedigging this thread because it is time to purchase 3 new monitors....

Any recommendations for a 21-24 inch monitor?

Planning on buying two TN Panels for light gaming/work, and one IPS for netflix n chillin in the flat . For use in Europe if it makes any difference.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    237 Post(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lolskilla View Post
    Double gravedigging this thread because it is time to purchase 3 new monitors....

Any recommendations for a 21-24 inch monitor?

Planning on buying two TN Panels for light gaming/work, and one IPS for netflix n chillin in the flat . For use in Europe if it makes any difference.
    Whatever you go with I would suggest a mount that will allow you to pivot at least 1 monitor into a vertical position. Depending what kind of work you do vertical monitors can be amazing. Honestly they are amazing for browsing the internet in general.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

I have an asus 144mz 1ms monitor I love it! Prob one of my better purchases

Thread Information