Thread: Low profile gaming computer?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    98 Post(s)

Default Low profile gaming computer?

I was trying to avoid posting a thread this general, but can anybody help? I don't expect a full list of parts just more where to look or general trends in hardware pricing I should be aware of. Gaming at 2K max, maybe downsampled 1080p.

It might be the case you just buy the first decently priced object that comes up when you search online or look at the store, but I was hoping it was still more than that.
    The jealous temper of mankind, ever more disposed to censure than
    to praise the work of others, has constantly made the pursuit of new
    methods and systems no less perilous than the search after unknown
    lands and seas.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    98 Post(s)

So I had forgotten about http://www.logicalincrements.com/.

The other thing is finding an mITX case:
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16811352061

But I really want something this size, but I don't think it's made to house a graphics card:
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16811352027
    lands and seas.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    33 Post(s)

There are quite a few mini-ITX graphics cards that fit the bill eg. this 1070. There are also cases that allow you to vertically mount a graphcis card, cant think of any itx off hand though. But really you still seem like you're on the fence with what performance level you're looking for. Once you pick the components it becomes a lot easier to pick the case considering you seem flexible on size.
    Last edited by anoobis; 05-01-2017 at 09:40 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    81 Post(s)

What do you mean low profile? Did you check out Tom's already?

Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1598 Post(s)

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    98 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by anoobis View Post
    There are quite a few mini-ITX graphics cards that fit the bill eg. this 1070. There are also cases that allow you to vertically mount a graphcis card, cant think of any itx off hand though. But really you still seem like you're on the fence with what performance level you're looking for. Once you pick the components it becomes a lot easier to pick the case considering you seem flexible on size.
    It's that type of case I am looking for again. Not necessarily with a PCIe riser, but smaller than normal mITX cases which are still rather large.

Quote Originally Posted by Suburbia View Post
    What do you mean low profile? Did you check out Tom's already?
    I will do that. Part of the issue is that I remember seeing some very small cases, similar to the Node I linked (which will fit a full sized card), but smaller. I can't find them again.

Very helpful, thanks.
    lands and seas.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    242 Post(s)

A fairly decent resource I've always used: http://www.logicalincrements.com/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    33 Post(s)

Are you searching for mitx desktops? Again if you already know which components you want you can search pcpartpicker for builds completed with them eg. these mitx 1070 builds. Best of luck!

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Quoted
    624 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by R0b0t1 View Post
    I was trying to avoid posting a thread this general, but can anybody help? I don't expect a full list of parts just more where to look or general trends in hardware pricing I should be aware of. Gaming at 2K max, maybe downsampled 1080p.

It might be the case you just buy the first decently priced object that comes up when you search online or look at the store, but I was hoping it was still more than that.
    1080p is 2K

are you looking for low profile as micro itx tiny computer expensive?
    or inexpensive computer

I assume micro itx but you need a budget as well..
    The only true authority stems from knowledge, not from position.

You can contact me via matrix protocol: @grats:grats.win or you can email me at the same domain, any user/email address.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    98 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by anoobis View Post
    Are you searching for mitx desktops? Again if you already know which components you want you can search pcpartpicker for builds completed with them eg. these mitx 1070 builds. Best of luck!
    Those are more like thin clients. But yeah, mITX. I think some of the cases I saw may have been custom built.

Quote Originally Posted by grats View Post
    1080p is 2K

are you looking for low profile as micro itx tiny computer expensive?
    or inexpensive computer

I assume micro itx but you need a budget as well..
    2K is somewhere around 1440p - somewhat like 4K it was coopted by advertising and the resolution reduced from any number close to 2,000. Tentative budget is $1,000, but cheaper is better and I don't mind an i5. I'm not sure if any Ryzen mITX boards are out yet. Someone mentioned the Biostar X370GTN but it doesn't seem to be available.
    lands and seas.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Quoted
    624 Post(s)

Those are more like thin clients. But yeah, mITX. I think some of the cases I saw may have been custom built.

2K is somewhere around 1440p - somewhat like 4K it was coopted by advertising and the resolution reduced from any number close to 2,000. Tentative budget is $1,000, but cheaper is better and I don't mind an i5. I'm not sure if any Ryzen mITX boards are out yet. Someone mentioned the Biostar X370GTN but it doesn't seem to be available.
    well technically 1440p is vertical resolution only.. but 16:9 at 1440p is closer to 3k

at 16:9
    4k is 3840 x 2160p
    3k doesn't exist
    2k is 1920 x 1080p
    either way switching to horizontal resolution buzzwords instead of vertical is dumb

I have seen one
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16813138452
    it's up to you whether biostar is worth it though heh.. asrock has a lot of talk of releasing them after may because of the major microcode update from AMD this month (no idea which part of this month they just said "may")

overall ryzen is great though I'd recommend it. I haven't ran windows with it but linux kernel was ready for ryzen long before microshaft got ready but I think things are pretty stable now

You can contact me via matrix protocol: @grats:grats.win or you can email me at the same domain, any user/email address.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Quoted
    228 Post(s)

Google:
    - node 202
    - nfc systems s4 mini
    - lone industries L3 (and new L4)
    - inwin chopin

Basicly it all depends on what gpu you need... you can get low profile 150ti's from msi/zotac, or get full size ones with short length, also called itx cards, or get full length gpu's.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    98 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by grats View Post
    well technically 1440p is vertical resolution only.. but 16:9 at 1440p is closer to 3k

at 16:9
    4k is 3840 x 2160p
    3k doesn't exist
    2k is 1920 x 1080p
    either way switching to horizontal resolution buzzwords instead of vertical is dumb

I have seen one
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16813138452
    it's up to you whether biostar is worth it though heh.. asrock has a lot of talk of releasing them after may because of the major microcode update from AMD this month (no idea which part of this month they just said "may")

overall ryzen is great though I'd recommend it. I haven't ran windows with it but linux kernel was ready for ryzen long before microshaft got ready but I think things are pretty stable now
    So apparently they changed it again, see this. 1080p is 1k. 2k is something larger, per the (possibly newly defined spec), and could include 1920x1080, but that makes no sense. If you're going to hold that 2k is 1080p then you really need to be able to tell me what 1k is, and cite it.

This is what marketers are trying to do - march the resolution backwards so they can upsell their lower resolution monitors as something everyone mistakes for something of a higher resolution.

I was looking at Ryzen. I'll follow up on some of @Thomas' suggestions too, and edit this one Kickstarted case I found in when I get a chance.
    lands and seas.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Check out r/buildapc and www.pcpartpicker.com to see if the parts are compatible with one another.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Quoted
    624 Post(s)

So apparently they changed it again, see this. 1080p is 1k. 2k is something larger, per the (possibly newly defined spec), and could include 1920x1080, but that makes no sense. If you're going to hold that 2k is 1080p then you really need to be able to tell me what 1k is, and cite it.

This is what marketers are trying to do - march the resolution backwards so they can upsell their lower resolution monitors as something everyone mistakes for something of a higher resolution.

I was looking at Ryzen. I'll follow up on some of @Thomas' suggestions too, and edit this one Kickstarted case I found in when I get a chance.
    who's they? I see the same thing I said all over that page
    because the "k" crap is just horizontal resolution

1080p isn't 2k
    1920x1080p is 2k...
    1920 x 1200 is 2k
    1920 x 9999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999 is 2k

1k would be 900 - 1200 x anything as those are frequent resolutions
    900x600
    1280x720 "standard HD or HD ready"

notice the horizontal pixels are in the range of 1000

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    98 Post(s)

Information from one or two years ago never had anything which agreed with you, which leads me to conclude somebody just made it up and has successfully gotten people to believe it.
    lands and seas.

Thread Information