Thread: slackasm - Partial x86 assembler in Lape

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Quoted
    596 Post(s)

Default slackasm - Partial x86 assembler in Simba

SlackASM - A library that allows you to write (a subset of) x86 assembler purely in Simba 1.2, to put it roughly.

I've been working on a project that led me to write an assembler, so I figured I'd write a version of it that was lape compatible while at it. Figured I'd share it with, someone might find it fun to play around with, however I wont say that it's particularly useful, could technically be used to speed up certain parts of your code, but yeah..

• Produces real machinecode, no emulation / virtual machine or other bullshit.
    • Resembles Intel syntax. Instruction order follows AT&T (src, dst) structure.
    • Functions are used to "write the assembler", there's no parsing involved (no nothing).
    • Forward jumps are a bitch, you have to manually patch it when you've gotten that far.

It's far from a complete x86 assembler, some core language features are in fact lacking, so you might feel a little limited. It's also not the most beautiful implementation, but I think it's fairily straight forward to use.

Snippet from the Example1.pas file:
    pascal Code:
    with assembler := TSlackASM.Create() do
    try
      code += _mov(imm(0), ebx);            // mov 0 to %ebx (it's kept in %ebx as the loop counter)

var label1 := Location;               // make a label so we can jump back to here
      //loop body -->
      code += _mov(mem(x), eax);            // mov `x` to %eax
      code += _add(mem(y), eax);            // add `y` to %eax
      code += _imul(eax);                   // imul %eax          [EAX *= EAX]
      code += _sub(mem(y), eax);            // sub `y` from %eax  [EAX -= y]
      code += _mov(eax, mem(z));            // mov %eax to `z`
      code += _inc(ebx);                    // inc %ebx           [increase our counter]
      code += _cmp(imm(1000000), ebx);      // compare %ebx to some number (limit)
      code += _jle(RelLoc(label1));         // if (%ebx <= lim) then jump to label1
      //<-- loop end

code += _mov(ebx, mem(i));            // store the value of %ebx in `i`
      code += _ret;                         // return

Method := Finalize();                 // create a reusable function which can be called any time
    finally
      Free();                               // clean up
    end;

Method();                               // execute the code!

So this snippet will pretty much produce something like this:
    pascal Code:
    repeat
      tmp := x + y;
      z := tmp * tmp;
      z := z - y;
      Inc(i);
    until 1000000 < i;
    Except that it produced native x86 machine-code, which means wont bet executed on lape's virtual machine, but directly on your CPU.. it's a "little" bit faster :P

https://github.com/slackydev/slackasm

Syntax

Using a pointer stored in a register (%reg) would be done like this (memory operand):
    ref(reg)
    Example:
    _mov(ref(eax), eax);
    Referencing a lape variable (memory operand):
    mem(myVariable)
    Example:
    _mov(mem(myIntVar), eax);
    Referencing a lape variable [pointer] (memory operand):
    ptr(myPtrVariable)
    Example:
    _mov(ptr(@myIntVar), eax);
    Stack variables: Two operators has been overloaded, +, and -, so that it's somewhat similar to what would be done using Intel syntax:
    ebp+4 and ebp-4
    Example:
    _mov(ebp+8, eax);
    The above is equal to mov eax,[ebp+8] (notably the order is however src, dst)
    For setting the size of memory references (including stack vars) you'd do something like this:
    ref(edx).AsType(i32)
    (ebp+8).AsType(i16)
    (ebp+8).AsType(4) // i32, i16, i8, f32, f64 (alt: szLONG, szWORD, etc..) all translates to size, so you can write the size yourself

Currently you can also do this, which may not be supported in the future:
    (ebp+8) is i16;
    Example:
    _movzx(ref(edx).AsType(i16), eax);
    For offsetting a pointer (memory operand) I have overloaded the + (add) operator:
    mem(myVar)+4 //offset ptr by 4 bytes
    Example:
    _mov(mem(myInt64)+4, eax); //move upper half of an int64 to eax
    Immediate value (immediate operand):
    imm(1000)
    Example:
    _mov(imm(1000), eax);

Further examples can be found here. In particular `func.pas` utilizes a lot of the mentioned syntax. `func2.pas` is the same only implemented in a piecewise - reusable manner.

Registers are named as the following:
    FPU stack: st0..st7
    General purpose (4 bytes): eax, ecx, edx, ebx, esp, ebp, esi, edi
    General purpose (2 bytes): _ax, _cx, _dx, _bx, _sp, _bp, _si, _di
    General purpose (1 byte ): _al, _cl, _dl, _bl, _ah, _ch, _dh, _bh

SSE instructions has not been implemented, so XMM register are not even declared.

Final notes

- Expect some bugs, and lacking features, this utility was never my focus but came to life due to another project of mine.
    - Contribute to it if you can, it would be awesome to end up with a full x86 assembler! Or maybe extend it to support x86-64, or trow in linux support (should be fairly easy).. or whatever comes to mind!

https://github.com/slackydev/slackasm
    Last edited by slacky; 08-01-2017 at 12:33 PM.
    !No priv. messages please

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Quoted
    327 Post(s)

Nice! I'll definitely use this for my code

Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1598 Post(s)

For those that do not know, the underlying concept is the same: https://villavu.com/forum/showthread.php?t=109848

Using VirtualAlloc/VirtualProtect to make the assembly instructions executable (On Linux & OSX, you can use mmap and mprotect). Writes the instructions as hex/binary to a memory location that is executable, then you cast the pointer to that memory as a function pointer, call it, and it will execute the instructions that you wrote.

In any case, I want to point out that it is actually interpreted and goes through Lape.. I got confused at first as to how it was NOT using Lape and over excited because I thought Simba was actually using an assembler and assembling into native machine code..

What he really means is that the "final" execution of the instructions aren't interpreted.
    IE: _mov, _cmp, _jmp, etc.. are all interpreted Lape "functions" that writes the native OPCodes to executable memory and executes that memory. #onecanonlydream

Nonetheless, pretty cool and good job.
    Last edited by Brandon; 05-13-2017 at 01:08 AM.
    I am Ggzz..
    Hackintosher

Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1068 Post(s)

Thread Information