Thread: Smart thermostats

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Default Smart thermostats

Does anyone use smart thermostats like the Nest or ecobee? Do you have any recommendations?

I bought an ecobee3 back in September but was pretty disappointed by what it could do. I was expecting it to have Z-Wave/Zigbee or some way of integrating with smart meters in order to control my overall energy usage, but it's basically a glorified sensor hub with a regular HVAC schedule you could get from a $10 wall thermostat. I'm thinking of trying a different one when I next move.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)

As far as smart thermostats go right now i think there all just over glorified sensors and made to control basic functions of a house like lights on off ect.
    And even with that they are limited, if not required additional installation of bluetooth / wifi integrated Light switches / Wall outlets.
    Looked into this issue for a projcet i was doing where we needed precise control of climate & enviroment. (entire building)
    We basically had to look into custom / commercial options... One being using a junction box and a arduino controllers.

In terms of finding a thermostat that will adjust / control energy usage while maintaining a comfortable environment
    You got to realize most homes now adays are extremely out of date with technology. If we had the access to bluetooth / wifi / microcontrollers back in the 70s -90s
    wed be in a different ball game now, but i think you just would have to wait a bit on this.
    Last edited by acezfate; 08-07-2017 at 03:02 AM.

Thread Information