Thread: Dungeons & Dragons quest ideas needed

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    368 Post(s)

Default Dungeons & Dragons quest ideas needed

Hi all,

I have been running a Runescape related campaign in D&D 5E and I am after some quest and side ideas.

The campaign takes placed in Gielinor (Runescape land) and features all of the towns and cities that OSRS has to offer. I have used a similar plot line to that of Runescape except for the fact that only Saradomin, Zamorak, Guthix and Zaros still have influence over the realm.

The overarching story line is based around Guthix and the barrier that he created to prevent the other gods from returning to Gielinor. Guthix ended the Godwars thousands of years prior to this campaign starting, and put a barrier in place that would prevent the gods from entering the realm, and greatly limits the amount of influence they have over the mortals that live there.

The players have caused the barrier to decay, after they entered the Astral plane (Air rune alter). Now they are tasked with collecting all of the Talismans (one for each rune element), so they can repair/restore the barrier.

I am needing quest ideas so I can make quest lines that the party can follow to recover the talismans. So far they have managed to get a hold of the Air, Mind and Nature talismans, which were single quest rewards, but I am wanting to make them more quest chain rewards.

Since some of the players are familiar with Runescape lore and quests, I am wanting unique stories that I can follow to keep them in engaged, and stop them from metagaming.

Any ideas would be appreciated

Edit: An idea I have been working on - the Trouble series.

Trouble in Catherby
    A necromancer by the name of Vlad Darkscape, leader of the Black Reapers, is kidnapping villagers from Catherby and Seers village. He is using them to create undead soldiers, whom he seals in black suits of armor, in an attempt to take over the realm.

Trouble in Camelot
    After being thwarted by the party in Trouble in Catherby, Vlad Darkscape has replaced King Arthur of Camelot, with an undead imposter, in an attempt to take control of the Kingdom.

Trouble in the cavern of souls
    The final attempt of Vlad Darkscape to take control of the realm. Vlad is attempting to use the Death Talisman to open a portal to the Astral plane to enslave the souls of the dead, and return them to the material plane under his command.

Reward at the end of the series: the Death Talisman.
    Last edited by Dan the man; 09-04-2017 at 02:09 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

I would think 'one smalle favour' (or something like it, with different favours) would translate nicely to D&D if you're more into roleplaying than combat (metagaming). Maybe some timetravel/flashback thing could be nice too. Or a light beam puzzle which would require coordination between multiple characters (would be a lot of work to set that up properly though). So probably you want to take those elements and put them into your story.
    Infractions, reputation, reflection, the dark side of scripting, they are.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    368 Post(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Are you playing on roll20?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted