Thread: Common player chat in OSRS

Mentioned
    268 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1442 Post(s)

Default Common player chat in OSRS

Hi all,

I'm working on a new project for an extensive auto-responder, since we've not had one that's reliable or even practical in years. So far I've made quite a bit of progress on skill level inquiries so that's covered, however I'd like this program to detect and reply with a much broader area than just skills-related questions.

So what I'm asking here is what's the most common types of questions you personally get asked in-game in OSRS? Are you often asked what city you're in, which quests give the best rewards, where's the nearest bank, and so on? Also, I'm only interested in OSRS-related questions. And it doesn't necessarily have to be a question, it may be another player saying "Nice gear" or "Nice Strength level", ect...

Current projects:
    [ AeroGuardians (GotR minigame), Motherlode Miner, Blast furnace ]

"I won't fall in your gravity. Open your eyes,
    you're the Earth and I'm the sky..."

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    71 Post(s)

Unless you both happen to be playing together for a longer period of time, few ask any more involved questions than "sup" or anything like that.

I just started getting back into OSRS so just for you I'll write down some stuff people ask
    Feel free to ask me any questions, I will do my best to answer them!

Previously known as YouPee.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quoted
    505 Post(s)

Maybe you could have a script just stand around and log public chat.

My solution is to turn all chatbox messages off

Mentioned
    268 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1442 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joopi View Post
    Unless you both happen to be playing together for a longer period of time, few ask any more involved questions than "sup" or anything like that.

I just started getting back into OSRS so just for you I'll write down some stuff people ask
    Right common greetings. I'll add those in. Sounds great Joopi, I appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Citrus View Post
    Maybe you could have a script just stand around and log public chat.

My solution is to turn all chatbox messages off
    Haha yeah that's one way. But how many players would be interested in talking with a static, silent featureless player?

Current projects:

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    368 Post(s)

When you are casting from the lunar spells I always get "What spell are you casting" or something along those lines.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    237 Post(s)

I usually see players telling other players to get "off" the NPC so they aren't receiving partial XP.

Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1068 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Flight View Post
    Haha yeah that's one way. But how many players would be interested in talking with a static, silent featureless player?
    Seems like a good approach if it just eavesdrops on other players' conversations in crowded areas like the GE where nobody would notice your character. Are you planning on doing some kind of Markov chain strategy for the responder, or just hardcoding responses to variations of collected questions and statements?

From what I've seen, conversation in boring skilling spots can cover many different non-RS topics, like politics, religion, or economics. You could try to tackle those...good luck, or follow the same strategy as Microsoft's AI responders (Zo, Tay) where they refuse/deflect to discuss certain "controversial topics" - although I personally think that's just a lame censorship list, cause I have a great deal of interest in an AI's opinion of hot-button issues.

Would be interesting if such eavesdropping could be implemented in your include, becoming "smarter" as every single user here uses an AL script - although then I guess we get into "privacy" concerns Could be a global boolean variable that defaults to false, like recordPublicChat := true/false, so a user/scripter has to knowingly turn it on, willingly contributing to the project.
    Last edited by Clarity; 09-25-2017 at 06:27 PM.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    237 Post(s)

Something challenging and cool would be an auto-responder learning from conversations...which reminds me of Tesla. Person A drives his/her Tesla on a road that hasn't been utilized before, feeds the road/route into the database so when Person B whenever decides to go on that same road as Person A, the road will be accessible for the auto-driving feature.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    84 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Flight View Post
    Right common greetings. I'll add those in. Sounds great Joopi, I appreciate it.

my public chat has been turned off/friends for the past 2 years :O

however i remember alot of players would either chat to make deep conversation, or just to make noise. generic slang helps alot

"wuzzgud... sup... how we doin... awww thats wussguddd"

"dude just check the osrs wiki"

i feel like as long as you throw in colloquial language / slang people dismiss it. The key is to not be repetitive... theres too many bots that i remember you could trigger them to say the same thing by writing certain messages. Example... if people say fishing levels? you shouldnt respond every time. People are random

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lolskilla View Post

however i remember alot of players would either chat to make deep conversation, or just to make noise. generic slang helps alot

i feel like as long as you throw in colloquial language / slang people dismiss it. The key is to not be repetitive... theres too many bots that i remember you could trigger them to say the same thing by writing certain messages. Example... if people say fishing levels? you shouldnt respond every time. People are random
    I remember seeing a bot farm killing cows in Lumbridge, and as soon as you said hello, about 25 bots would all reply with the exact same text: Hello, how are you?

Changing the language, adding typos etc is always a good idea as well

Mentioned
    268 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1442 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dan the man View Post
    When you are casting from the lunar spells I always get "What spell are you casting" or something along those lines.
    That's good, I'll just have to inform scripters how to incorporate current spell into their scripts so the include can reply accurately.

Quote Originally Posted by P1nky View Post
    I usually see players telling other players to get "off" the NPC so they aren't receiving partial XP.
    Sounds kinky. That also might be worth including; combat-based auto-replies.

Quote Originally Posted by Clarity View Post
    Seems like a good approach if it just eavesdrops on other players' conversations in crowded areas like the GE where nobody would notice your character. Are you planning on doing some kind of Markov chain strategy for the responder, or just hardcoding responses to variations of collected questions and statements?

From what I've seen, conversation in boring skilling spots can cover many different non-RS topics, like politics, religion, or economics. You could try to tackle those...good luck, or follow the same strategy as Microsoft's AI responders (Zo, Tay) where they refuse/deflect to discuss certain "controversial topics" - although I personally think that's just a lame censorship list, cause I have a great deal of interest in an AI's opinion of hot-button issues.

Would be interesting if such eavesdropping could be implemented in your include, becoming "smarter" as every single user here uses an AL script - although then I guess we get into "privacy" concerns Could be a global boolean variable that defaults to false, like recordPublicChat := true/false, so a user/scripter has to knowingly turn it on, willingly contributing to the project.
    Noooo that's far too much effort for an anti-ban only intended to be complimentary. Eventually perhaps, should maco-detection ever reach the stages of bio-profiling.

Quote Originally Posted by lolskilla View Post

Yeah there really is, especially many running the same script. Ideally the best approach would be presenting a reply based on a type of personality, possibly optional to the user.

Current projects:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)

I've always thought a clan chat responder would be a good supplement to existing anti-ban (would be great for activities where you don't get public chat, like NMZ / bank standing skills, etc.). For example, if you sit in one of the big open CC's (I sometimes sit in the NMZ cc when I playing legit), people are always asking a huge range of questions. You could pick and choose which questions you answer. There are enough trolls in these open CCs that even if the responder botched a question, people could just assume it was someone trolling. You could also incorporate chat where you aren't answering questions. Like if you got a level or a notable drop, you could announce in clan chat (which is also commonly done by legit players).

All that said, if the goal is to create an auto-responder which will prevent people from reporting you when you don't answer their questions, the above is pointless. But if the goal is just to supplement current anti-ban (and if we assume participating in conversation would help reduce botting flags), something clan chat related might be useful.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)

I skill a lot and the most common question by far is just ppl asking what level your skill is

Thread Information