Thread: Porting Simba to Lazarus 1.8RC5, FPC 3.0.4 (Windows/Linux)

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    98 Post(s)

Default Simba Ported to Lazarus 1.8RC5, FPC 3.0.4 (Windows/Linux)

Hello again,

I would like to first make the community aware that a new release of Lazarus and FPC are nearing. It seems wise that, if Simba is to be maintained at all, that it should target the newest Lazarus and FPC release. The 1.8 development branch has undergone a long series of bug fixes and the stability has been increased to the point that Simba will probably not experience many grave errors when undergoing cursory testing on the fifth release candidate.

If there are any issues that the Simba codebase experiences when being transitioned to the new releases, it is most likely that the Lazarus and FPC developers will be available for comment now. As time goes on it will become increasingly difficult to port existing code.

The new versions are available at the Lazarus SourceForge page.
    Last edited by R0b0t1; 11-17-2017 at 06:08 AM. Reason: Change title.
    The jealous temper of mankind, ever more disposed to censure than
    to praise the work of others, has constantly made the pursuit of new
    methods and systems no less perilous than the search after unknown
    lands and seas.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    98 Post(s)

There are some minor issues related to function removal and relocation that I was able to solve last night. Specifically: UTF8 specific functions largely do not exist, some functions were moved to LazUTF8, and others to LazFileUtils.

The more involved and immediately apparently issue is that the SynEdit class which the LAPE highlighter derives has undergone some changes. There is an overridden method which no longer exists, and some related issues that appear to be the removal of more members in the base class. These are harder to find information on, and contributions from either the original authors of the derived SynEdit or someone with enough time to understand the component would be extremely helpful.

The issue from my previous thread is still extant but can be worked around quite easily when it is encountered. I would like to avoid simply removing functionality to get the project to compile, but in some cases it is very hard to follow up on what things have been replaced with.

The last issue that I was made aware of by @Olly is that FPC versions greater than 3.0.0 break the foreign function interface used by LAPE. If more details are available that will help. Fixing this issue may need to wait until the rest of the project has been ported.
    lands and seas.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    98 Post(s)

@slacky helped me work around the issues with the derived SynEdit. There were some other issues in the code that were due to upstream changes in the LCL. The majority of the changes were as detailed above; functions were moved and renamed. A pull request was created and can be viewed at https://github.com/MerlijnWajer/Simba/pull/410.

Testers are welcome. Until releases are available, please download Lazarus from SourceForge to compile the project. Until action is taken on the pull request, you can check out the source from my GitHub fork of Simba. Remember to run "git submodule init" and "git submodule update" before attempting to compile. The project file is "Projects/Simba/Simba.lpi."

Plugin writers can help by attempting to target the new Simba. There may be issues with the foreign function interface.
    lands and seas.

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1869 Post(s)

Thanks for doing the work on this, rep+. As a reminder here are some notes on how to compile Simba: https://villavu.com/forum/showthread...80#post1384080
    GitLab projects | Simba 1.4 | Find me on IRC or Discord | ScapeRune scripts | Come play bot ScapeRune!

<BenLand100> we're just in the transitional phase where society reclassifies guns as Badâ„¢ before everyone gets laser pistols

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    98 Post(s)

The FFI bugs no longer exist on Win64. It is unlikely that they exist on other platforms, but it would be nice if someone can verify this - if we report them now, the developers can include the fix in the 1.8 release.

Quote Originally Posted by KeepBotting View Post
    Thanks for doing the work on this, rep+.
    Thanks.
    lands and seas.

Thread Information