Thread: What Happened?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Question What Happened?

Full disclosure: I apologize if this thread is in the wrong section, I didn't know where to put it. I also mean no harm for the things I'm about to say,I just wanted to encourage discussion on the matter and get more info.

Ok so I haven't really been active on OSRS or this website (used to be srl-forums.com) in about 8+ years. I was a junior member / ridiculously hardcore leecher, although I did make a few baby scripts in my time and actually learned quite a bit of pascal. Way back when you guys used to have the top botting scores on the forum I believe I made it to the #1 spot for botting hours as I had a 16 man mining group all with 60+ mining. I also ran Harry's fight cave runner like nobody's business. Thanks Harry, you got my pker acc to 99 str and 99 range!

But I digress, I'm really making this thread to figure out what in the heck happened to this place. I understand the REAL RS (osrs now) is not what it used to be, and RS3 obviously is the main attraction now (which is sad) but these forums seem absolutely DEAD when it comes to new scripts on osrs and activity level in general (at least compared to what I remember). Now, I didn't come here to bash the site, I absolutely considered srl-forums (and now villavu) to be perhaps the greatest community I've ever been a part of. It's so great to see some of the old names still here as well like Wizzup? and Nelsie95 and Harry (I'm sure there are many others I'm missing). BTW is WT-Fakawi still here? He was like a legend to me....

Anyways, I noticed some of the osrs scripting forums only have 3-6 scripts available for use per skill. Is this because the forum is hoarding the best scripts in private sections to avoid leechers or because SCAR/SRL (now SMART?) itself has become inadequate in today's environment? Are there better alternatives for botting now? For me, back in the old days, I would never even begin to consider another scripting site because this one was unbelievably professional and always did things the right way. In fact, at times I didn't even consider what we did as "cheating" but rather just a friendly competition between Jagex and ourselves to see who could push the other side to be better. Jagex would implement new anti-ban features, and we would respond and in some cases make the programming software even more efficient.

I hope nobody interprets this thread as bashing or insulting. I truly love this place for how great the community is and how unbelievably professional the people are. Perhaps I'm exaggerating and it's simply due to the fact that RS3 is the priority now, and perhaps it's just the outdated OSRS that is struggling. Hopefully we can have a good discussion about it. Thanks all!

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1869 Post(s)

Hi! Welcome back!

First off, I'm not sure RS3 is the main attraction. OSRS actually has more players and most of the cheating community's recent efforts seem to be focused there.

The level of activity in this community has declined somewhat over the last few years, which is a shame because there's actually a decent amount happening on the Discord and on IRC. The forums are pretty dead, I'll grant you that, but don't count us out just yet! Lots of us are still here, many lurking/inactive but we're around nonetheless. Wizzup and niels can be found on IRC, I haven't seen Harry in a long time. Fawki drops in every once in a while to say hi, I think he still scripts for RS3.

How can I put this politely: the lack of scripts is mostly due to remaining members working silently on their own projects. People kinda do their own thing and not a lot gets advertised on the forum nowadays. Simba (which we use instead of SCAR) and SRL (in some form or another, sometimes multiple iterations at once... it's a bit of a mess) are still in use. As is SMART, though it's no longer commonly used for RS3 as that game is transitioning to a new C++ client called NXT.

There are always other ways to cheat, the Java bots are too stubborn to die although I'm unsure of what the current meta is amongst that side of the community. SRL (and everything it encompasses) is still perfectly viable for cheating, but our ecosystem has become a bit fragmented over the years so if you're interested I'd recommend jumping into the Discord and asking around.

To get up to speed the quickest way possible & get re-acquainted with the current state of the community & our software, I suggest you read the updated setup guide here: https://villavu.com/forum/showthread...39#post1391739

Naturally, there are several versions of each of the software mentioned in that thread, and certain includes/scripts will mandate specific versions of certain software. It's something you've got to keep a tab on, not quite as centralized as it used to be. There's a link to the Discord channel contained in the setup guide as well, HIGHLY recommend you join if you plan on pursuing anything RS-related. That's where the community and all the information is right now.

If you need any help feel free to drop me a PM here (I still check them) or ping me on IRC/Discord. I'm not really actively involved in the community but I know how most stuff works and can answer questions pretty well (if nothing else )

Best of luck!
    GitLab projects | Simba 1.4 | Find me on IRC or Discord | ScapeRune scripts | Come play bot ScapeRune!

<BenLand100> we're just in the transitional phase where society reclassifies guns as Badâ„¢ before everyone gets laser pistols

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    31 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KeepBotting View Post
    How can I put this politely: the lack of scripts is mostly due to remaining members working silently on their own projects.

There are always other ways to cheat, the Java bots are too stubborn to die although I'm unsure of what the current meta is amongst that side of the community.

Naturally, there are several versions of each of the software mentioned in that thread, and certain includes/scripts will mandate specific versions of certain software.
    Besides the obvious external factors (i.e. people "growing up" or having no time for RS, etc. etc.) I think these main points you mentioned are pivotal. I imagine the number of Simba scripts used daily is far more than the number officially posted. That is understandable - if you make a high $ maker or otherwise easily abuse-able script, why give it to 1000 leechers? Granted higher forums like jr. member have even less scripts than the public forum so that somewhat removes leechers as an excuse, but maybe full on members have more scripts than jrs, and like I said it is perfectly sensible to want to keep your scripts to yourself. That being said, too much of keeping scripts private can also overall negatively affect the community, as newcomers will be disenchanted with the lack of options and may not want to learn scripting themselves as much if only a few scripts are public, compared to lets say the motivation to script when 3x more people actively post scripts.

Reflection is in my opinion easier, and the hooks here aren't updated as much as other sites, meaning people will go to those sites instead. That plays into what I previously said about leechers - there will always be leechers (heck, I am one right now too), but overall it may be worth posting scripts more often to motivate other scripters to join in, or motivate leechers to try their hand at coding.

last but not least, Simba is not at all "plug and play"... a lot of other bots are easier to get running, especially if you aren't good with computers. Too high a barrier of entry reduces overall usage.

Another thing that is a big problem is my opinion is that for OSRS scripts, of the let's say 5 for each skills, which is already not a large amount, 4/5 don't even work. This is either due to reflection hooks not being updated, or the script using an older AeroLib include. The heavy reliance of color scripts on AeroLib isn't in itself bad, but the lack of backwards compatibility and reliance of an unofficial developer does make a problem. It would be nice if SRL and AeroLib were combined, that would also make Flight's job easier I imagine.

Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1468 Post(s)

Everything what is said here so far is true... however there are far more people still lurking and "active" than you might think!
    A lot of old members are actually pretty active in the discord chat

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

I'm more confused than I've ever been in my life trying to get SIMBA/Aerolib installed correctly. It used to be so simple with SCAR.... simply dl scar and download SRL. Now it's like aerolib and rswalker and reflection and all this shit I'm so confused about. I've tried for 2 days now to make a couple of the scripts on the site work with the newest plugins/includes and it's just not happening. I think it's time to give up lol. The worst part is on the instructions screen where it says "test if you did it correctly by running the following script" always works for me.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nhstarter10 View Post
    I'm more confused than I've ever been in my life trying to get SIMBA/Aerolib installed correctly. It used to be so simple with SCAR.... simply dl scar and download SRL. Now it's like aerolib and rswalker and reflection and all this shit I'm so confused about. I've tried for 2 days now to make a couple of the scripts on the site work with the newest plugins/includes and it's just not happening. I think it's time to give up lol. The worst part is on the instructions screen where it says "test if you did it correctly by running the following script" always works for me.
    I think Aerolib had changes that may have messed with older scripts a little.

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Quoted
    596 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nhstarter10 View Post
    You don't need aerolib, you don't need reflection, you dont need RSWalker.. it depends on what kinda script you wish to run or create. And you certainly don't need to download RSWalker if you use Aerolib, no tutorial states that you need it for Aerolib.

Ofc, downloading old scripts as always, will result in the script most likely not working, so if it donsn't work, don't use it. This has always been the case. When the script is outdated, you either need to update it for the latest release of what ever library it uses, or leave it be and let it die.

The steps for only setting up SRL and RSWalker, which is all you need to bot OSRS are fairly simple:
    https://villavu.com/forum/showthread.php?t=118211
    Ofc, this will not let you run old scripts either, and surely not any Aerolib scripts. I suggest you stick with one library, write your scripts using it, and ignore anything else.

Note that there are very few scripts out there for AeroLib V2 (which is the only aerolib version up2date), same goes for SRL scripts, not many out there, I suggest you make your own script, don't try to use some old script, it wont work.
    Last edited by slacky; 05-26-2018 at 09:54 PM.
    !No priv. messages please

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quoted
    588 Post(s)

The game maker's improved ability to detect inhuman activity, that's probably the biggest change. Additionally, non-screenscraping bots improved their ability to avoid client detection.

If you're only interested in gaining ingame resources / making money, I'd personally recommend checking out other communities. You'll be less burdened by the forum rules here such as a high barrier to entry for market trading (with actual money) & no on-forum script sales.

If you want to learn programming and make your own scripts, villavu/simba is still a solid choice. It's also the only major open source botting community for rs, that I know of any ways. Certain tasks however will be more challenging in color, and as far as reflection and that stuff goes the other clients are superior imo since the devs are actually charging money and thus monetarily incentivized to keep things functioning.

Mentioned
    179 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1870 Post(s)

I may start releasing some of my updated rs3 scripts once i'm completely done using them on my personal accounts... it's just much easier to maintain scripts for personal use rather than taking all the time to have them work for all/help with all the incorrect setups... maybe one day.

Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1068 Post(s)

Echoing what others already said, most everyone is active behind the scenes these days, almost all of the normal forum communication and chat moved to Discord.

Several members have started their own bot client projects, it's very impressive.
    Everything here still works more or less, I bot both games every day. SRL/SRL for OSRS and SRL-6 for NXT. Oglib still works for Java OGL botting.
    Nothing stopping you from getting back into things! Links have been posted already in other replies.

Thread Information