Thread: New to forum saying hello!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

Default New to forum saying hello!

Hey guys! I am a SQL Analyst/Devoloper and have minor experience with C#. Haven't played RuneScape in a very long time but figured I would get back into it and try to hone my programming skills. Have already started on a first script so once that's out if I could get feedback that would be awesome!

Outside of that I hunt, fish (bass tournaments) and do some investing on the side. Also, huge Final Fantasy nerd if that wasn't obvious. I have written a handful of snippets for autonomy Final Fantasy and other games through emulators so I'm not completely new here.

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1869 Post(s)

Hi, welcome to the forum. There's a lot of knowledge here, and nice people who will be willing to help you with our software. The community is most active on IRC or Discord, so I'd encourage you to join one or the other (they're linked).

Let someone know if you have any questions!
    GitLab projects | Simba 1.4 | Find me on IRC or Discord | ScapeRune scripts | Come play bot ScapeRune!

<BenLand100> we're just in the transitional phase where society reclassifies guns as Bad™ before everyone gets laser pistols

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KeepBotting View Post
    Hi, welcome to the forum. There's a lot of knowledge here, and nice people who will be willing to help you with our software. The community is most active on IRC or Discord, so I'd encourage you to join one or the other (they're linked).

Let someone know if you have any questions!
    Thanks!

I do have a couple of questions:

1. Rules state no gravedigging. Now if I'm looking at a tutorial that hasn't been posted on and the question is relevant to the tutorial is that still considered grave digging? Should I just create a thread instead asking in the help section?

2. I got a profile picture but it doesn't show up next to my posts. Is there somewhere else to set this?

3. Is there a "recommended" tutorial/guide for (I think) SRL writing in OSRS. The list of guides under there are quite numerous. Edit: I see there are other includes like AeroLib and one other but I think it'd be safer to stick with the basics for now so not really interested in jumping into those yet.
    Last edited by Hastega; 08-16-2018 at 03:49 PM.

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1869 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hastega View Post
    Thanks!

I do have a couple of questions:

1. Rules state no gravedigging. Now if I'm looking at a tutorial that hasn't been posted on and the question is relevant to the tutorial is that still considered grave digging? Should I just create a thread instead asking in the help section?

2. I got a profile picture but it doesn't show up next to my posts. Is there somewhere else to set this?

3. Is there a "recommended" tutorial/guide for (I think) SRL writing in OSRS. The list of guides under there are quite numerous. Edit: I see there are other includes like AeroLib and one other but I think it'd be safer to stick with the basics for now so not really interested in jumping into those yet.
    1. If your reply is on-topic, especially in the context of educational threads like tutorials, feel free to bump it with a question. Even if the tutorial is old, someone will see that you're trying and should be able to point you in the right direction. Of course if you're inclined to create a new thread that is fine too, you might even get more replies that way.

2. I believe you have to donate or rank up before you can set an avatar that will appear next to your posts. Profile pictures and avatars are seperate.

3. SRL is for OSRS, yes. AeroLib is an old, unmaintained include, using it is strongly discouraged. The recommended setup tutorial is here, and the scripting tutorial is here.
    Last edited by KeepBotting; 08-16-2018 at 08:59 PM.
    GitLab projects | Simba 1.4 | Find me on IRC or Discord | ScapeRune scripts | Come play bot ScapeRune!

<BenLand100> we're just in the transitional phase where society reclassifies guns as Bad™ before everyone gets laser pistols

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

Ok, so avoid AeroLib. What about Reflection? Sounds to me like it'd be easier to be detected.

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1869 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hastega View Post
    Ok, so avoid AeroLib. What about Reflection? Sounds to me like it'd be easier to be detected.
    Reflection is workable as long as you have the ability to generate updated hooks. They do not currently get posted publicly very often. It's also not color so it is very different versus SRL. I would recommend color over reflection in any case.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

1. If your reply is on-topic, especially in the context of educational threads like tutorials, feel free to bump it with a question. Even if the tutorial is old, someone will see that you're trying and should be able to point you in the right direction. Of course if you're inclined to create a new thread that is fine too, you might even get more replies that way.

2. I believe you have to donate or rank up before you can set an avatar that will appear next to your posts. Profile pictures and avatars are seperate.

3. SRL is for OSRS, yes. AeroLib is an old, unmaintained include, using it is strongly discouraged. The recommended setup tutorial is here, and the scripting tutorial is here.
    Since when is AeroLib old & unmaintaned? The last release seems pretty recent. Will there be no future releases? Are the functions now included in the SRL include?

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1869 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by symbiosis View Post
    Since when is AeroLib old & unmaintaned? The last release seems pretty recent. Will there be no future releases? Are the functions now included in the SRL include?
    AL is considered unmaintained because Flight has not been seen since he made the last release. At this time it seems likely that there will be no future releases. See this post of mine for more details.

SRL is feature-full and ready for use, though it does not contain direct equivalents to certain routines like FindObj or types like TMSObjects. It's slightly different, but no less capable than AeroLib.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

AL is considered unmaintained because Flight has not been seen since he made the last release. At this time it seems likely that there will be no future releases. See this post of mine for more details.

SRL is feature-full and ready for use, though it does not contain direct equivalents to certain routines like FindObj or types like TMSObjects. It's slightly different, but no less capable than AeroLib.
    Thanks for clarifying, didn't know he's no longer active. I will look into your post.

I just liked some functions of the include which made scripting life easier.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    237 Post(s)

Welcome !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    35 Post(s)

I've been away from the forums for a while, and I got lucky to come across this post. Writing this out to thank you for providing the link to your other post explaining the AeroLib/SRL state of affairs. Cheers!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for clarifying.

Thread Information