Thread: I was living under a rock all this years, i had no idea you people existed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Default I was living under a rock all this years, i had no idea you people existed.

Hey everyone !

Im Vixor, i do SQL wizardry for a big tech company and i really, really like the idea to participate in a community that's so close to my trully lifetime hobby of RS.
    I started playing 15 years ago and i've never player for more than a 2 years period. Last time i stoppped playing was start 2016. Prior to that i used to play a main and bot some accounts using OOTB bots. It was a fun way to enter the botting environment but i was never satisfied with the reach i had over the scripts being played. Now, after some googling i came across Simba/SRL and i really liked the idea of having a community that focus on the development aspect of this. Im looking forward to learn and create some hot errors that will give me the chance to learn from you guys/girls. If i can be of any assistant then that would be even better.

Thanks to everyone that comes into this post and to whoever made that post on Sythe talking about you guys.

Regards,

Vixor.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    71 Post(s)

Welcome Vixor!
    Unfortunately this community has shrunk in numbers a lot these past few years, but it's very cool to see new people entering. I'll be excited seeing you around, possibly testing/giving advice on some of the scripts that you'll develop, and make sure to join our discord / irc
    Feel free to ask me any questions, I will do my best to answer them!

Previously known as YouPee.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Thanks for the welcome Joopi.

Do you consider that the current community is more OSRS or RS3 oriented? , is people leaving the community or the focus on development? .

I appreciate your help. I will be trying to undertand the libraries/includes and try to dust out the keyboard so i can get those sweep gainz. I will join MIRC when i get home (and will eventually download Discord if needed).

Thanks for the welcome message.

Regards,

Vixor.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    237 Post(s)

Hey Vixor, welcome!

Our community has shrunk by a huge amount due to various of reasons. One of the main reasons is because our members have grown up. When we first started (I got in here back in 2006-7) we were ranging from the ages 10 to 16. I believe most of the old timers are now in their mid 20s - early 30s, well what sucks about growing up is that we get busy with irl stuff and have minimum time to maintain/develop scripts and sometimes even have limited time to play games! *sigh* sure do miss the simple days where time & responsibilities weren't an issue .

But we are still here and have a lot of drop bys from old timers whenever they get a chance. We are a family and always will be . Glad to have you onboard with us! Best bet for you to get your questions answered quickly, would be obviously creating a thread on the forums and using Discord!

Check this guide out to start off:
    https://villavu.com/forum/showthread.php?t=118229

Good luck and hope to see you around & active.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Thanks P1kny for the insight.

Yeah , being an adult sucks, i second that. Having money for bonds and no time is the complete opposite of '04 , '05 where i worked weeks on F2P to pay for P2P to then grind on P2P for keeping up with the dream. Sweet old times.

I will join discord. I hope my tarzanic english can still function tho, lol.

Thanks for the drop by and i will eat that guide because im at wotk, it's 4:17PM and im already checking this forum more than my work email, lol.

Thaaaaaaaaaaaanks !

Vixor.

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1869 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Vixor View Post
    Thanks for the welcome Joopi.

Do you consider that the current community is more OSRS or RS3 oriented? , is people leaving the community or the focus on development? .

I appreciate your help. I will be trying to undertand the libraries/includes and try to dust out the keyboard so i can get those sweep gainz. I will join MIRC when i get home (and will eventually download Discord if needed).

Thanks for the welcome message.

Regards,

Vixor.
    OSRS by a landslide. Most of our software (Simba, SRL, RSWalker, various other utilities) is actively maintained but not many scripts get posted publicly anymore. You will be mostly expected to write those yourself, and you're free to ask any questions you'd like about the process.

After over 11 years we have amassed a very large wealth of knowledge and tutorials on the forums. The forums themselves don't see much activity, and act more like a library than anything else at this point. Most of the community activity takes place on IRC and Discord.

In a nutshell, if you are going to use the resources here to target OSRS, you will be expected to use the forums (the "library") to learn the ins and outs of Simba and Lape, our Pascal-derived scripting language. After you've done this, getting acquainted with SRL, our include for Old School RuneScape, should be pretty easy. Writing scripts after learning SRL should be a piece of cake.

Specific questions, especially ones you can back up with code or at least statements of what you've already tried, are generally answered quickly in IRC/Discord. More complex questions should be formatted nicely and posted on the forum, then linked in either of the former two chats.

Not many people are leaving. The exodus has already happened, and much of our community is already gone. I won't sugarcoat that nor will I deny it. What I will say though, is that there are plenty of us still here and there is still active development happening. RS3 has been mostly cast aside but you can still bot OSRS with Simba just like you could a decade ago. The old faces show themselves every once in a while, and there's an intermittent stream of new users that find their way to us. We're not dead by a long shot.
    Last edited by KeepBotting; 09-28-2018 at 12:41 AM.
    GitLab projects | Simba 1.4 | Find me on IRC or Discord | ScapeRune scripts | Come play bot ScapeRune!

<BenLand100> we're just in the transitional phase where society reclassifies guns as Badâ„¢ before everyone gets laser pistols

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

That's a very in depth answer, thanks.

English is not my first language, so i need to ask a follow up to this part since i dont really understand what you are saying:

Quote Originally Posted by KeepBotting View Post
    RS3 has been mostly cast aside but you can still bot OSRS with Simba just like you could a decade ago.
    You say that it's is not being actively developed by current members or that it is, for some 3rd party reason, less likely to success for botting purposes?.

Thanks for your time and help !

Vixor.

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1869 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Vixor View Post
    That's a very in depth answer, thanks.

English is not my first language, so i need to ask a follow up to this part since i dont really understand what you are saying:

You say that it's is not being actively developed by current members or that it is, for some 3rd party reason, less likely to success for botting purposes?.

Thanks for your time and help !

Vixor.
    The former, that it's not being actively developed by current members. There is some activity on SRL-6 but not enough to prepare it for the upcoming Simba 1.3 release.

Of course
    GitLab projects | Simba 1.4 | Find me on IRC or Discord | ScapeRune scripts | Come play bot ScapeRune!

<BenLand100> we're just in the transitional phase where society reclassifies guns as Badâ„¢ before everyone gets laser pistols

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    31 Post(s)

Welcome Vixor! Your English is fine, don't sweat it. It's nice to see so IT/CS orientated people joining lately, it certainly helps to get you involved vs. someone who has no background in CS, etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Thanks JSMooth.

Yeah, it's always fun to try to "make sense" of things when you understand "why" they work but just not "how" they do it. That's what got me first into keep playing, then botting and now trying to fin my way into scripting. It's a great way to keep the learning entertaining.

Thanks everyone for the welcome (Y) !

Vixor.

Thread Information