Thread: Thanks SRL

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Quoted
    532 Post(s)

Default Thanks SRL

Hey all!

It's been way too long since I've been around here, but you know, life happens.

Been wanting to make a post like this for a while now, but I needed to reset my password, and I thought that it actually would require effort, not just a simple form.. So anywho, now I can log in and make a post once again.

Wanted to just make a post thanking the community for what it taught me, and how it literally changed my entire future/career because of it. I don't say that lightly, it really did.

I have played runescape since when classic was around (2001ish?) on and off until 2008 or so. I came around to SCAR and used scripts here and there, just leaching on the site, never really contributed at all. Then I quit runescape until OSRS came back in 2013. That was when I came to SRL and actually wanted to contribute and learn about programming. At this time, I just started going to university for Mechanical Engineering. Through SRL I became decent at programming using simba, then learned Java/JVM bytecode by making the updater for reflection, then expanding into other languages.

At this time, I was able to get a biomedical research position at my university, solely because I was a MechE who could actually program (other than just Matlab). This research position opened up so many doors for me, allowing me to expand into starting my own company, which I did in 2016. The beginning of the company was based on embedded systems programming and circuit design, the former was again, due 100% to what I learned here. Now, it's been a few years since the company started, have several employees, and I literally am living my dream working on my company. It has expanding into a full service prototyping/design/assembly company, and I have now hired a programmer to handle that side of it, so I'm sure my coding skills are quite rusty now!

It's impossible to thank everyone for the help/fun/fights/battles over the years here, but here's a few (in no order):
    @Brandon; (For being the best programmer I've ever seen, yet still helping everyone - teaching me how to reflection)
    @BenLand100; (For being Ben, of course)
    @Olly; (The best, sometimes blunt/angry, dev)
    @slacky; (For being Olly's sidekick (Maybe otherway around ) and teaching me how cool python can be.)
    @Fitta; (Helped the most maintaining reflection while I was afk)
    @Clarity; (Super helpful to everyone)
    @Kasi; (Helped learn me some c/cpp when I was starting embedded work. Even worked with me a bit on some company projects)
    @Hoodz; (What can I say, it's Hood)
    @Justin; (Everyone's favorite mod -> admin)
    @ineedbot; (Loved "helping" me out with reflection, by pointing out every dang bug he could find)
    @NKN; (Always good banter)
    @wthomas; (Lol. I doubt you even remember, but years ago, you helped my with a essence miner script or something, with my old username. Like 2013ish or something, I forget when)
    @tls; (Didn't get along well at first, mainly due to me wishing I knew java/reflection like you. Super helpful afterwards)
    @Sjoe; (Always a good laugh to talk with on skype/discord)

Of course thanks to everyone else who I forgot, and just to the community as a whole, for taking something as silly and fun as a nearly 2-decades old game, and using it as a platform to learn one of the most important skills in this day and age.

I don't know how active I'll be, hopefully will be around a bit more. Oh, and if you're curious, here's our site.
    Last edited by Kyle; 07-12-2019 at 04:10 PM.
    “The long-lived and those who will die soonest lose the same thing. The present is all that they can give up, since that is all you have, and what you do not have, you cannot lose.” - Marcus Aurelius

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

hi im new and never knew u but its so cool that you were able to advance your professional life through rs botting

Mentioned
    296 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1094 Post(s)

Also agree that Brandon is a legend.

Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1598 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Olly View Post

Also agree that Brandon is a legend.

<3 all of you guys! Always secretly checking on you guys on the forums everyday.
    Sometimes invisible on Discord too

You're all legendary to me. Without all of you guys, we'd never be able to push each other to be the best we can be, and still going strong.
    Very glad to see you guys doing well!
    Last edited by Brandon; 07-13-2019 at 11:33 PM.
    I am Ggzz..
    Hackintosher

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quoted
    505 Post(s)

Thanks for posting this! It's always great to see the positivity from this community reaching through to real life.

Mentioned
    275 Post(s)
    Quoted
    901 Post(s)

I'm glad to see that SRL has helped you develop what you love doing and now running your own company, congratulations!

Forum account issues? Please send me a PM

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Quoted
    717 Post(s)

Welcome back, glad to see everything is working out well for you. Congrats on the company too, that's a hell of a move from undergrad.

Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1468 Post(s)

Love you kyle <3

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
    <3 all of you guys! Always secretly checking on you guys on the forums everyday.
    Sometimes invisible on Discord too

You're all legendary to me. Without all of you guys, we'd never be able to push each other to be the best we can be, and still going strong.
    Very glad to see you guys doing well!
    You are the smartest person I know.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    237 Post(s)

Wow! I am so happy for you, keep rocking!

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quoted
    266 Post(s)

Congratulations on your successes! I really appreciated your developments you did for SRL! Best of luck into the future!
    Discord: Guy#1693

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

Hey nice business website. Cool story.
    Thanks for all your contributions. Good luck with your future.
    Cheers

The End Awaits. . .

Thread Information