Thread: Wireless Bridge from Ubuntu MATE 18.04.2 to Windows 10

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Default Wireless Bridge from Ubuntu MATE 18.04.2 to Windows 10

I am working on a project and I figured I would post this question here since there are pretty savvy users in the forum.

I am trying to establish a wireless bridge from my Raspberry Pi 3b+ running Ubuntu 18.04.2 to my Windows 10 Desktop.

So far I have done these steps:

- Within Ubuntu, open Network Connections > Add new connection > Select "Bridge" in drop-down menu > Under Bridged Connections, select Add > Select "Ethernet" from the drop-down menu > Select my ethernet device in Device drop-down menu (eth0 (MAC address) ) > Save > Save again.

I've verified under Network Connections that the new "bridge0 slave 1" is the only Ethernet connection showing up, and my new "Bridge connection 1" is showing under Bridge, and I am connected to my WiFi with internet access. I've also confirmed that under both the bridge and the slave I have checked "Automatically connect when available" and "All users may connect to this network." Also, I've not changed any IP configurations away from Automatic DHCP, so IPs should automatically be assigned.

I plug in Ethernet to both sides and Ubuntu tells me I am connected via the Ethernet connection.

Over on my Windows 10 PC, I am shown that I am connected to an Unidentified Network, and there is no internet connection. I am not exactly sure what I have to do from this point to get Windows to identify and use the bridge properly.

I've tried running the Windows network diagnostic tool, and it gives me this message:

"Ethernet" doesn't have a valid IP configuration - Not fixed.

Maybe it is possible to use manual configurations to match up IP addresses, etc.? Not quite knowledgeable myself to know unfortunately. I appreciate any help in advance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hey everyone,

I figured this out myself. I am unable to post the link to the guide I used to help me, but forget the steps I used altogether and do this:

- In Ubuntu, open Network Connections > Add new connection > Select Ethernet from the drop-down > Select the Ethernet device in the Ethernet tab > In the IPv4 tab, use the drop-down menu that says "Method" and select "Shared to other computers" > Save and connect the Ethernet cable to the pi and your other device.

And that should be it. After those steps, my Windows 10 PC automatically connected to the network. I would assume any Ethernet device will connect automatically as well. The Pi 3 B+ was capable of transmitting 75Mbps download and upload, pretty impressive considering I needed a quick solution for a PC without a WiFi adapter!

P.S. I found these steps in another guide, but am unable to link it in this post due to my infancy.

Thread Information