Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HowTo Become Respected at SRL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Default HowTo Become Respected at SRL

I, myself, am getting tired of all of the leechers ("This ain't workin"), all the un-educated people ("z0mg, i wantz runscpe GPz!"), and all of the spammers ("works fine, thanks, cya"). Henceforth, I have written this tut on how to become respected (by my standards) at the SRL-Forums.

Take Note: By following these self-made rules to the best of my ability, I was auto-memberized. So keep in mind that by just following these rules you could receive the same reward if you're lucky

Rule #1 - Absolutely NO Spamming

As soon as I see a newcomer make a spam post, I immediately look down on them. It just shows me that they haven't read rules, are inconsiderate, and/or are just plain stupid. Now, if I see a first time poster make a long, well thought out, lengthy post, I immediately think, "Hey, this guy might actually contribute!". Sometimes even a simple suggestion on how to go about fixing a bug in a script is impressive.

For those of you who don't know, spamming is:

• Making one word posts
    • Posting things irrelevant to the topic
    • Saying something like "nice, thanks" or "it doesn't work" without explaining yourself
    • Double Posting (use the Edit button instead)

Example of a non-spam reply (thanks rizzaliau) -

This script works pretty well! Here's a progress report -

|_Blah-Script| 1h:3m:54s|
    | XP Gained: 38273 | XP/Hour: 37982 |
    | Levels Gained: 2 |
    One thing I noticed is that it doesn't always click the monster, usually when it has wandered too far south. After that, it takes about 5 minutes until it gets back near the middle and starts fighting. Thanks for the script, good luck with it!
    By the way, if you don't know, a progress report is something the scripter has to implement in his/her script. It usually comes up in the debug box (the box in SCAR right below the script's code) every once in a while.

Rule #2 - Try to use decent grammar

If I see someone say something like, "u kno, this thing is pritty sweet, but it cantz find the rock half ofs the time", it doesn't impress me. Some people think they're cool doing that, but to me, it's just a waste of time trying to decipher half of it. The forums have a nice, handy, Spell-Checker built in when you're replying to a thread/making a thread. It's in the top right corner of the box. Use that, and take some time to look over your grammar. Sure, perfect grammar can be annoying, so an occasional 'lol' or smiley can be put in. Also, not too many people do this, and it's not too annoying, but Try To Not Capitalize Every Word You Say.

EDIT: Minkino has brought to my attention that the spell-checker isn't working. Therefore, I suggest you use what I use - the Firefox spell-checker (it comes with Firefox). Everywhere you type is just like typing in MS Word in the sense that all your misspelled words are underlined in red.

Rule #3 - Don't get yourself into flame wars

Flaming is heavily insulting or fighting with another member of the forums. It really is just a waste of space and causes two (or more) people to hate each other. If you get in a big flame war, you're scarred for life in the eyes of anyone who sees it, thinking you have a short temper. Even so, it's always nice if you make up in the end . If you REALLY have to do it, then take it to the BBQ Pit section of the forums, or on IM.

Remember - "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all" (Unless it's constructive criticism)

Rule #4 - Use the Search button

You don't know how annoying it is to keep replying to the same question with the same answer over and over. For instance, so many people have asked how to set up Scar + SRL, and every time they are directed to a tutorial which could have been found with 3 minutes of searching. Almost any question could be answered in the Tutorial Island section. And now, since it's re-organized, it should be easier than ever. I suggest you look through tutorial island for 5 minutes, then search for 10 minutes, and if you still can't find it, post it.

Rule #5 - Get at least some SRL/Scar knowledge

As you use scripts, look through the script and think, "What does this procedure do?". Try to answer your own question. If you really can't do it, look at some basic tuts in the Tutorial Island section under Beginner Tutorials. This way, you'll be able to fix simple errors without bugging other people. Don't forget to learn to make your own scripts eventually though (I'll explain why in a bit).

Rule #6 - Do NOT swear

Swearing on these forums can get you banned, usually only if you do it excessively. Even so, just like in real life, when you swear in a public-like area, everybody will look at you (or in this case your post) and think you're an illiterate person who can't think of a less vulgar way of expressing yourself.

Rule #7 - Think Before You Type (Credits to Pixelate)

Sometimes something just pops into your head, but instead of just posting it right away, think it through, and make sure nobody else has suggested it. Don't make yourself look stupid by saying something like "Where can I download RAM?" (Couldn't think of anything better ).

Rule #8 - NEVER use a script without posting the results/proggy (Credits to n00b? n00b?)

Whenever you run a script, even if it doesn't even compile, post your results on the thread where you got the script. This will help the author of the script improve the script, helping both you and him. If you don't post results/proggies, the author will assume that his script is flawless, and he won't update it to make it better. Along with that, you will be considered a leecher.

By the way, by 'results' I mean just say why your player(s) stopped, mention anything the script could be more efficient (like if it finds the tree to cut really slow), etc.

Rule #9 - Be active in the Forums

I know some people have busy lives, but if you really want to get people to know you on SRL, you have to be active. Being active shows others what you're like, and if you follow all of these 'rules' while being active, you'll show that you are an intelligent person, getting people to respect you.

Rule #10 - Help others whenever you can

If you know the answer to something, post it! Not only will the person you helped be very grateful, but everyone else will see that you're willing to help people. Also, if there's a question that keeps coming up again and again (A while ago it used to be Where do I get SCAR/SRL????, like 3 times a day) and you're really getting bored of answering it, write a tutorial, so then all you have to do is post a link.

That concludes the rules, try to follow them to the best of your abilities and you'll be well on the road to SRL greatness

Now, for some info on SRL Junior Members and SRL Members.

SRL Junior Members

Edit: As of 9/26/10, I believe SRL Junior Members are no longer what they once were, so the below explanation is incorrect. I'm not that active anymore so I do not know all the specifics, besides knowing that Jr. Membership is no longer a requirement to access the majority of SRL's scripts.

These are people who have made 10 non-spam posts and have been registered for at least a week. Until then, you only have access to pretty basic scripts (well, some aren't that basic but they don't do all that much). Mainly autofighters, autotalkers, powerminers, powerchoppers, etc. When you're a Jr. Member, you have access to some of the better scripts - including ones that bank.

SRL Members

These people are those that can script, except in some rare special cases. You get this rank after applying (where other SRL Members vote) with a script. Attitude and helpfulness increase your chances. These people have access to the best of the best scripts. The most complicated, the best working, the best....everything. Even so, you'll know how to make your own scripts when you're an SRL Member, so you might not even need those.

Hope you like my tutorial! Happy..err....becoming respected?

Creds to Hy71194 for giving me the idea of making this tut.
    Last edited by Runescapian321; 09-26-2010 at 04:51 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Nice, maybe add how to use the edit button? Nice anyway Rep++

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Rule #1: i'm safe there
    Rule #2: darn disslexia
    Rule #3: at sp0rk-eh I allways stop flamewars (mod powers ftw)
    Rule #4: I don't need a search buttum
    Rule #5: I fail at that point. LOL

fun turial

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Meh, I don't care if people type with some errors, but if you type half 1337 $P37K it's annoying.

Nice sarcasm at rule 5 there
    Last edited by Runescapian321; 02-10-2010 at 03:45 AM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    119 Post(s)

Nice guide here, I'll give you rep, if I can, I gave you some recently. Anyway, yeah great tut.

Admin, sticky?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Nice tut you got there Runescapian :P

I bet many people here on Srl-Forums needed this

EDIT:

5/5 Stars Voting From Me!

What u guys mean with rep++?

EDIT (again :S):

Nvm got what rep++ is xD and i did rep++

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Runescapian View Post
    Don't forget to Rep++ (click the blue checkmark in the corner of my post) me if you liked the tutorial
    Doesn't asking for rep make you less respected?
    Verrekte Koekwous

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

Grats. You actually made it ^^.

Send SMS messages using Simba
    Please do not send me a PM asking for help; I will not be able to help you! Post in a relevant thread or make your own! And always remember to search first!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

very nice tut
    i didn't learn anything from it
    but still a nice tut
    i'll rep++ you now!

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Quoted
    327 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mastaraymond View Post
    I was also thinking that! i think a developer or admin said that it was againt the rules or something...?

[ontopic]great tut, i can still remember when the only thing i did was to spam sb100's powerskill-script-thread :')

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

UPDATED!

Added Rule #6, sounds cheesy though

Feel free to give suggestions on some other 'rules' (you don't have to make the whole explanation, just what the rule should be)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

genius

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for the TUT man, now i know how to become a Srl-Jr.Member and use better scripts. I don't know about becoming a SRL-Member, i barely even know how to work a script =( oh well ill still try to look at scripting tutorials Thanks again. // Oglokes

Rep++'ed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

this is very nice im new to this so i will not be a srl member for a while but i want to be one eventually

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Most of this can be summed up into a one word answer.

Maturity.

Good tut, rather useless to those who can actually read it!

I joke, I joke.
    Writing an SRL Member Application | [Updated] Pascal Scripting Statements
    My GitHub

Progress Report:
    13:46 <@BenLand100> <SourceCode> @BenLand100: what you have just said shows you 
                        have serious physchological problems
    13:46 <@BenLand100> HE GETS IT!
    13:46 <@BenLand100> HE FINALLY GETS IT!!!!1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Nice this is a great guide although it is just common sense but i guess people can be pretty stupid in posting replies and other nonsense. I mean i Like short responses if they are a progy but thats just one mans opinion right.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mastaraymond View Post
    owned.

i guess that now that i got that out of the way i have to say something meaningful...great thread!! I had a flame war regarding politics...argh
    mccain ftw?

Quote Originally Posted by JLauberth View Post
    genius
    fail!!?!?!! dude did you not read what he said lol, but its ur first post so thats ok..i think
    Currently Working on: Runite Miner W/ World Hop (Fally) 80% complete

Next: Advanced Gnome Agility Course!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Meh, no excuse... this is a pretty good "tut" though, but gravedig?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

argh i just say it on new posts so i assumed it wasnt old...the person BEFORE me actually messed up..lol not saying names or anything

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

ty, rep+ for the tut!!! (your so modest)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Pretty good tut. Only other thing i could add is 'Think before you type'. I have seen lots of comments where people don't think very hard about what they are writing and come out with a very stupid looking post that doesn't do them any favours.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pixelate View Post
    Pretty good tut. Only other thing i could add is 'Think before you type'. I have seen lots of comments where people don't think very hard about what they are writing and come out with a very stupid looking post that doesn't do them any favours.
    Thanks for the idea Added.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Nice tut, try to follow all these rules dont wanna look stupidand noobish. Also the spell check doesnt work just tryed it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

To be honest, who actually uses the built in spell checker? Most words are fairly easy to remember spelling. Using correct grammar is where confusion occurs.
    -----
    If I see you autoing with level 3/default clothes/crap name I WILL report you. Auto Correctly. - put this in your sig

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Nice guide...

Just kidding I did actually read it!

And you will be glad to know I'm not a leecher and am currently trying to write my first script (an alcher, it has been done before but all the scripts I have tried seem to fail after a short time or don't incorporate features that I want!). Anyway thanks for the guide will be sure to keep in mind all of your tips.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information