Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: How to Become an SRL Member

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Default How to Become an SRL Member

Note: This is a work in progress, I just wanted to get it started and out there as soon as possible.

I am not against noobs, I don't think this community should private. I want there to be more members to help development. I just want the members to be better. Also, many apps are a waste of time, pretty much automatic no. This can be avoided.

This guide will contain general tips. Do not post exactly what got you accepted or rejected.

DO NOT try to apply with a low post count. I usually don't care about post count, and hate forums that do. I am not saying make a bunch of useless posts either. Just don't try to apply as soon as you get here. Let us get to know you first, or it's pretty much an automatic no. Note from yohojo: this may slide if everything else is good.

DO write an SRL script. Don't write something else and say you will learn SRL after being accepted.

NEW DO write a script that demonstrates you know standards, player switching, and anti-randoms. If you have an awesome script but it's p2p and no switching, write a simple power chopper and submit both. Same goes for a script that doesn't get randoms Just make sure you show you know all these basics.

DO learn as much as you can first.

DON'T rush it. This ties in with the above 3.

DON'T write a script just for the sake of getting accepted.

DON'T beg, be needy, campaign for votes, or be too persistent to the point of annoyance.

DO wait a while before trying again if you get rejected.

DON'T hold grudges to people that vote no. It's for your own good.

DO remember to save the bookmark. Often members voting on apps have questions for the applicants. It also helps you to see your progress.

DO contribute, help, and learn as much as possible before becoming a member. Don't save it all for later.

DO get to know how things work around here.

DON'T copy scripts. First of all we will catch you. Second it will probably hurt your chances of being accepted next time, even if you do write your own script. It's not worth it, it wastes your time and ours.

EDIT: DON'T COPY SCRIPTS! I said it would hurt your chances before, but now, if you plagiarize, myself and others will NEVER let you in. You will be branded a leecher, and shunned. Take some time to put in the effort and write your own stuff.

DO make good posts. As you will see, there is a certain ambience about this community, make sure you know what this is. Don't excessively spam/cuss/bad mout devs/etc, this is common sense.

DON'T bother even applying if you just care about getting scripts.

DO learn to script. Driger's Tutorial.exe and Janilabo's Massive SCAR Learning Package are good places to start.
    --General DO: Search first, ask questions later.

DO think twice before applying. Am I really ready? Don't waste your time or ours. Remember what some wise man said, 'Don't enter a fight unless you know you will win'.

It's midnight, if I think of any more I'll add. I may add bold and other niceities when I'm bored. Feel free to post your do's and don't's. As I said before don't post exactly what got you rejected or accepted, just general stuff.

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Quoted
    418 Post(s)

Prety nice
    NEEDED VERY BADLY =)
    Id just change the post count one.
    Yes i don't like voting for people with low post count but if they have a killer script i will actually say yes.
    I think you should get the views of everyone else who posts here also and then a mod should sticky it or something and make all applicants read it before applying =p.
    Nice Job.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Thanks.

I was debating the low post count. I have seen a lot of people no for low post count, plus low post count is usually accompained by other factors so I left it in. Of course these are just guidelines, it's not like there something you makes you unable to click the apply button if you less than 10 posts. Let's say it's an indicator, you will have a lower chance of getting accepted with a lower post count, and a higher chance of wasting everyone's time. I'll leave it in until I see a good number of people that were accepted with a low post count.

Hmm, I'm not sure how I would vote on killer script and low post count, as it's not just about how good the script is, but also attitude and stuff, which is shown in posts.

Yea, I said
    Feel free to post your do's and don't's.
    so I hope for this to grow.

Lol, I bet even if there was a check box "I have read the do's and don't's" forcing them to read there would still be some apps wasting our time, but hopefully this will but a dent in it.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

stickyfied.
    SRL is a Library of routines made by the SRL community written for the Program Simba.
    We produce Scripts for the game Runescape.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Yea i just applied... and it sent me to...
    http://www.villu-reborn.com/newthread.php
    So i wasn't sure what to copy. My computer was done loading anything, so i clicked back and resubmitted with a thing at the bottom saying sorry for double posting. The you (Boreas) PMed me asking to delete one, but i don't have links to either of them.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Masq took care of it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

nice guide i really needed it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I'm a member, somehow. I've done all the don'ts and none of the do's >_>

I'm trying to learn Scar again though.
    Sythe.Org Admin. Noobie Scripter. If you have any hints or questions give me a ring.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

You may have joined before it went private, and then when it became pubic again, you got automatic membership. You may want to read a thread called SRL Members, Why? by yohojo in the members section.

Anyone have anything to add to the guide?

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

I have. To end confusion official rules will follow...

P.S.: Dont we love being admins Jansen
    SRL is a Library of routines made by the SRL community written for the Program Simba.
    We produce Scripts for the game Runescape.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

DO learn to script. Driger's Tutorial.exe and Janilabo's Massive SCAR Learning Package are good places to start.
    --General DO: Search first, ask questions later.
    I can't find Janilabo's Massive SCAR Learning Package Can you post a link, please?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ok ty, ill try to get informed h):

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Do learn the concepts of Pascal first to better help yourself understand how SCAR and SRL work. Maybe?

Mentioned
    228 Post(s)
    Quoted
    267 Post(s)

back on the topic of low post count...look at mine i got like 30 posts...but i've been here longer then some people who got like 500 posts....just cause people like me dont talk doesn't mean we aren't there or paying attention...i've read most of the posts on the forum. Another wise saying "Sometimes its better to be seen than herd"
    STOP PM'ING ME

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

True but paying attention isn't the same as contributing. SRL Members are granted access to more forums, so in return they contribute to the community. Granted post count isn't an exact measure of contributing, but what is in the posts gives a good idea. I think mopar said it well on his TOS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Well it depends on what is in the posts. Certainly 5-10 is too little to get know someone. Just as long as you are not a stranger that just walked in if you know what I mean.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I think this will be very usefull to me later on. Thank you for taking the time for writing this.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Np, thanks for reading.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Got a question,
    I applied for membershipt over 2 weeks ago, its been sitting in there with 3 yes and 0 no.
    Just wondering how long one of these votes go for??

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Your poll is closed, and that auto closes in 1 week I believe. Someone with 'The Power' has to look at it, which hasn't happened yet. I know Fakawi has looked at other apps after yours, I don't why he didn't look at yours at the same time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

So the votes mean nothing unless someone with 'The power' votes on it. Then should I make another request or wait a while, I dont know

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Well the votes don't control the timing of when you get accepted or denied. They are a big indicator on whether you will be accepted. Since I have been a member, I have only seen 1 case where the votes didn't reflect the outcome, and that was a special case.

I think you will get in, so don't make another one. Either wait a bit more, or perhaps pm WT-Fakawi, since it appears he missed yours and it has been a while.

Note to everyone else: please don't pm people and bother them unless it is a case like this.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information