Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why I Vote No: A Guide to SRL Members Applications

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    Because that's how the typical srl member seems to be right now, and from what I gathered from this post, you seem to be the same. I think it's sad that all the SRL members are up on their high horse because they have a little bit of power thinking they're mr. big shot because they can decide somebody's fate. And if they vote yes to make somebody a member, then that new member has just as much power as them, and that makes them feel less powerful.

I shouldn't have said anything, but I just think that the average srl member's attitude is changing for the worse.

Sorry, I'll navigate away now.

@Narcle, he said he's a hard-ass in his post... I wasn't calling him one.
    Did he? Missed that bit.

Well the "hard ass-ness" and "high horse" is being passed along. Its been gradually getting harder to be a SRL-Member so like myself and those who have voted before, we can only blame ourselves for passing this down the line. That's my thought.
    (Scripts outdated until I update for new SRL changes)
    AK Smelter & Crafter [SRL-Stats] - Fast Fighter [TUT] [SRL-Stats]
    If you PM me with a stupid question or one listed in FAQ I will NOT respond. -Narcle
    Summer = me busy, won't be around much.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Because that's how the typical srl member seems to be right now, and from what I gathered from this post, you seem to be the same. I think it's sad that all the SRL members are up on their high horse because they have a little bit of power thinking they're mr. big shot because they can decide somebody's fate. And if they vote yes to make somebody a member, then that new member has just as much power as them, and that makes them feel less powerful.

I shouldn't have said anything, but I just think that the average srl member's attitude is changing for the worse.

Sorry, I'll navigate away now.

@Narcle, he said he's a hard-ass in his post... I wasn't calling him one.
    Well, frankly, assuming makes an ass out of you and me, or in this case, you.

I am more than willing to help ANYONE who asks me. I take time out of my day to help others, and teach them. I have a passion for it, and enjoy it. This post was meant to get peoples attention, its true. I am harsh on apps, but only becuase I want people todo better. Maybe it was how I was brought up, maybe its my want to see them flourish. I just don't believe people deserve to be commended for doing little work and putting little effort in. Most people like that are also only in it for the scripts available.

Are those the people you really want to let in? Or do you want the people who enjoy this community, and find it a hobby. Rather than who are in it for the little gold pixels.

@Narcle... What'd you mean? xD
    Writing an SRL Member Application | [Updated] Pascal Scripting Statements
    My GitHub

Progress Report:
    13:46 <@BenLand100> <SourceCode> @BenLand100: what you have just said shows you 
                        have serious physchological problems
    13:46 <@BenLand100> HE GETS IT!
    13:46 <@BenLand100> HE FINALLY GETS IT!!!!1

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nava2 View Post
    Because I was hard on giving my vote say to you to become a SRL-Member. You continue this to the next person that has put a app in. Then when one gets in they do this and etc. etc.
    (Scripts outdated until I update for new SRL changes)
    AK Smelter & Crafter [SRL-Stats] - Fast Fighter [TUT] [SRL-Stats]
    If you PM me with a stupid question or one listed in FAQ I will NOT respond. -Narcle
    Summer = me busy, won't be around much.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Narcle View Post
    Because I was hard on giving my vote say to you to become a SRL-Member. You continue this to the next person that has put a app in. Then when one gets in they do this and etc. etc.
    Its a chain, and the standards to get in increase. Most of what I posted is current and should be required. Most, not all.
    My GitHub

Progress Report:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

You seem to be up on your own high horse with these posts. He made a legit thread stating why he votes no, trying to help out junior members, then you start telling him that he has too much of an ego. This whole post strikes me as very hypocritical, since you are, in that post, everything you are accusing him of.

I know Nava2. He doesn't have a big ego. He's just trying to help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nava2 View Post
    Well, frankly, assuming makes an ass out of you and me, or in this case, you.

I am more than willing to help ANYONE who asks me. I take time out of my day to help others, and teach them. I have a passion for it, and enjoy it. This post was meant to get peoples attention, its true. I am harsh on apps, but only becuase I want people todo better. Maybe it was how I was brought up, maybe its my want to see them flourish. I just don't believe people deserve to be commended for doing little work and putting little effort in. Most people like that are also only in it for the scripts available.

Are those the people you really want to let in? Or do you want the people who enjoy this community, and find it a hobby. Rather than who are in it for the little gold pixels.

I shouldn't have made that assumption about you, but I just based it on what I read.

But that's exactly it. People shouldn't be commended for doing little work and putting little effort in. What they should be commended for is hard work with lots of effort. But what I'm saying is that some people will completely discard that the applyee tried hard and has a good script just because of bad standards or no TPA's. They go by a check list, and they go strictly by that list.

Again, sorry for making that comment and assumption about you, but I think that maybe you need to soften up your ass a little bit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

TBH. To say claw came in earlier when scripting was less advanced is not quite true. By the time claw entered i was already not actively scripting huge scripts anymore.

I guess you could say i came in pretty early. I was the first "non founder" dev i guess you could say. But still i have kept up with the times.

I will agree that scripting has come a long way since back then. But the fact remains that logic is the key to a good script.

I just think what fawki posted IS what should be expected. I dont care if you are the master at TPA's but a complete jackass, dont intend to help the community, never intend to contribute etc.

Without revealing too much i can tell you now, people DO get rejected say from the development team. Because others feel that although they are good scripters, they wont really contribute much or work hard to further SRL.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

I shouldn't have made that assumption about you, but I just based it on what I read.

But that's exactly it. People shouldn't be commended for doing little work and putting little effort in. What they should be commended for is hard work with lots of effort. But what I'm saying is that some people will completely discard that the applyee tried hard and has a good script just because of bad standards or no TPA's. They go by a check list, and they go strictly by that list.

Again, sorry for making that comment and assumption about you, but I think that maybe you need to soften up your ass a little bit.
    Eh, with regards to softening, to each their own. I vote my way, you vote yours. Democracy at its finest.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyro View Post
    TBH. To say claw came in earlier when scripting was less advanced is not quite true. By the time claw entered i was already not actively scripting huge scripts anymore.

I guess you could say i came in pretty early. I was the first "non founder" dev i guess you could say. But still i have kept up with the times.

I will agree that scripting has come a long way since back then. But the fact remains that logic is the key to a good script.

I just think what fawki posted IS what should be expected. I dont care if you are the master at TPA's but a complete jackass, dont intend to help the community, never intend to contribute etc.

Without revealing too much i can tell you now, people DO get rejected say from the development team. Because others feel that although they are good scripters, they wont really contribute much or work hard to further SRL.
    To be honest, I didn't put enough emphasis on attitude. I have voted yes for kids who have a mediocre script but a great attitude to learn, also have done the opposite. Kids with amazing scripts and a poor attitude get a no from me.

It's more key than I put emphasis on. That is my mistake.

Btw, I agree fully with the SRL Dev team, but isn't that a bit redundant with regards to SRL membership being discussed? Sorry, just seems like the same case, different situation.

Also, I think you are reading too into the "simpler time" thing. What I meant was, he was advanced, just advanced for his time. Not for todays times. If someone applied with the scripts of the past, its would be an instant no by almost anyone.
    My GitHub

Progress Report:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

If i add some TPA's And back up radial walking or some other walking procedure, would you vote yes on Iron man?
    I do visit every 2-6 months

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zasz View Post
    If i add some TPA's And back up radial walking or some other walking procedure, would you vote yes on Iron man?
    I would have to take a look, remember this is merely a guideline. (:
    My GitHub

Progress Report:

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    98 Post(s)

It's OK to share your decision, but it voids the point of voting if you tell other people how you arrived at that conclusion.
    The jealous temper of mankind, ever more disposed to censure than
    to praise the work of others, has constantly made the pursuit of new
    methods and systems no less perilous than the search after unknown
    lands and seas.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    29 Post(s)

TPAs are not a requirement! It's a freaking array just like anything, if they are used and they want extra points for it, they must use them very well, base voting somewhat on how advanced the script is, which you can only tell when you see it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

@nava. Same situation. You want someone to contribute to SRL right? So vote for someone who will.... Only difference is

Dev : yes to someone who will update include

Members: Yes to someone who will give to the community with tuts, scripting help and scripts.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The right attitude + a working script (little bit more advanced than auto-talker ofcourse) = Yes..

I don't see why people should use technique's they don't understand. What's the point of using TPA's when you don't understand them..
    Rather combine technique's you understand to a working script. If your willing to learn, the other stuff will come later..
    Verrekte Koekwous

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)

If your script works without custom TPA's then why should someone include them into their script to appease the members? Seems harsh to me. If a script is functional and the person contributes to the community, then I would vote yes, although I agree with you about the redundant proc's in some scripts. People vote yes on scripts that contain alot of redundant coding and I ask myself why.
    Jus' Lurkin'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

scripting has gotten more complex, therefore we accept people who can create more complex scripts, ofc our standards are getting higher.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Awesome tutorial.
    Really makes things clear, good work!
    The game has an unexplainable attraction that convinces the player they are having fun, despite the fact that all they are doing is performing repetitive tasks to increase their statistics. "The game is actually a graphical nightmare and its gameplay is simple at best. Yet something, perhaps by subliminal means, forces the player - against his will - to play the game, and to believe that they are having fun".

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

Good thread Nava2, but I have always voted and I will continue to vote for people that show:

1. ...good attitude. This is my prime concern. This is what makes this community a great community. Attitude is all. All we do is silenty read each others thoughts. It's the only way we communicate with each other. We do not hear, see nor feel each others presence. Therefore it is crucial that you speak your truth "quietly and nicely" to quote myself. SRL is nice for now, attitude is for life!
    2. ...a properly formatted working Pascal/SCAR/SRL script. Do not think lightly about this, since this usually means:
      • The applicant has mastered the principles of Pascal. To most applicants, this is their first ever attempt in programming, and for most this doesn't come easy, so I deeply respect every applicants perseverance. Mastering the flow of programming, comprehending the complexity of data structure, functions, procedures, declarations etc, is an achievement in itself. It will change the way the applicant looks at computers and programs for the rest of their lifes.
      • The applicant has mastered the principles of SCAR. Now while in itself this may look obvious to everyone in this community, I remember my awe when I managed to get a script working for the first time. It is only because I knew for certain it was possible, others could do it, so why couldn't I?, so I tried and tried and tried until I finally got it.
      • The applicant has mastered the principles of SRL. This also may look completely obvious to all of you, yet it is by far the most difficult task ahead. SRL is a swamp and has its own unique way of handling RS. There are many different levels SRL operates. Showing you have mastered the basic functionality is more than enough for me. It means the applicant has run SRL scripts, copied from, assembled his/her's own functions, read a lot of tuts, generally speaking has spent hours and hours behind the screen to get things finally more or less right. Look at my old Ratz! script. It is a hog, but I still regard it as my best script ever. There is nothing much really "complicated" going on there. In principle it is a very basic script, but with a lot of creativity. Which brings me to the third point:
    3. ...creativity. This is maybe not so much a condition, but a weakness of mine. I just love creative scripters. Even if a applicant shows a hint of creativity inside an application, I am applauding by the sideline and pushing yes by default. IMHO creative minds is what we need more than pure coders. I have always chosen creative minds around me. They are the founding fathers of SRL.

So you see, I have a basically different approach to things. Maybe its my age, but maybe it's because I see all that hard work someone has invested. From a playing consuming mentality towards an active challenging controlling mentality takes a lot of perseverance. It will change the (young) applicants life for ever.
    SRL is a Library of routines made by the SRL community written for the Program Simba.
    We produce Scripts for the game Runescape.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Well said

Attitude is always important. If someone has a good attitude (willingness to learn, respectful of others, etc.), they always contribute back whatever they can, and always do the best they can. Personally, the time I really started learning how to script well was while i was an SRL-Member. My application script was fairly simple, and I learned more advanced stuff as a Member.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Didn't get to read through the whole post (let alone the whole thread) yet, but just a quick note that your 'if' examples in #3 are missing indents after the else statements.
    Interested in C# and Electrical Engineering? This might interest you.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WT-Fakawi View Post
    • ...creativity. This is maybe not so much a condition, but a weakness of mine. I just love creative scripters. Even if a applicant shows a hint of creativity inside an application, I am applauding by the sideline and pushing yes by default. IMHO creative minds is what we need more than pure coders. I have always chosen creative minds around me. They are the founding fathers of SRL.
    I agree. Unfortunately, there seems to be too much "structure" in scripts. A "this is what I need to do to accomplish this" type of attitude. For the most part, it's the same things over and over, just to do different things. For example, object finding. TPAs have become the de-facto in object finding, and nobody really strays from using them anymore. One person may use "FindColorsTolerance," sort the resulting TPA, and move to a tree; another person may do the exact same thing, but to move to a rock. I don't really see too much creativity often.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WT-Fakawi View Post
    Good thread Nava2, but I have always voted and I will continue to vote for people that show:

1. ...good attitude. This is my prime concern. This is what makes this community a great community. Attitude is all. All we do is silenty read each others thoughts. It's the only way we communicate with each other. We do not hear, see nor feel each others presence. Therefore it is crucial that you speak your truth "quietly and nicely" to quote myself. SRL is nice for now, attitude is for life!
    2. ...a properly formatted working Pascal/SCAR/SRL script. Do not think lightly about this, since this usually means:
      • The applicant has mastered the principles of Pascal. To most applicants, this is their first ever attempt in programming, and for most this doesn't come easy, so I deeply respect every applicants perseverance. Mastering the flow of programming, comprehending the complexity of data structure, functions, procedures, declarations etc, is an achievement in itself. It will change the way the applicant looks at computers and programs for the rest of their lifes.
      • The applicant has mastered the principles of SCAR. Now while in itself this may look obvious to everyone in this community, I remember my awe when I managed to get a script working for the first time. It is only because I knew for certain it was possible, others could do it, so why couldn't I?, so I tried and tried and tried until I finally got it.
      • The applicant has mastered the principles of SRL. This also may look completely obvious to all of you, yet it is by far the most difficult task ahead. SRL is a swamp and has its own unique way of handling RS. There are many different levels SRL operates. Showing you have mastered the basic functionality is more than enough for me. It means the applicant has run SRL scripts, copied from, assembled his/her's own functions, read a lot of tuts, generally speaking has spent hours and hours behind the screen to get things finally more or less right. Look at my old Ratz! script. It is a hog, but I still regard it as my best script ever. There is nothing much really "complicated" going on there. In principle it is a very basic script, but with a lot of creativity. Which brings me to the third point:
    3. ...creativity. This is maybe not so much a condition, but a weakness of mine. I just love creative scripters. Even if a applicant shows a hint of creativity inside an application, I am applauding by the sideline and pushing yes by default. IMHO creative minds is what we need more than pure coders. I have always chosen creative minds around me. They are the founding fathers of SRL.

So you see, I have a basically different approach to things. Maybe its my age, but maybe it's because I see all that hard work someone has invested. From a playing consuming mentality towards an active challenging controlling mentality takes a lot of perseverance. It will change the (young) applicants life for ever.
    I have a lot of respect for you and your opinions. The main point of this thread has been lost though.

I regret naming it as I did. I thought it would be a more direct approach to the subject.

Anyways, I think you have valid points, although I will not change how I vote, I do take all of those things into consideration.

Attitude is my biggest thing, secondly standards, sound familiar? But, I do look for advanced techniques and efficiency. That's just who I am.

Anyways, I agree completely with you, but I won't change how I vote based on it. Hey, its not called a democratic vote for nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartzkid View Post
    Didn't get to read through the whole post (let alone the whole thread) yet, but just a quick note that your 'if' examples in #3 are missing indents after the else statements.
    Hmm, that's a matter of preference. If I added all the indents in then its more messy than leaving them out. I guess I should put them in...

Quote Originally Posted by bullzeye95 View Post
    I agree. Unfortunately, there seems to be too much "structure" in scripts. A "this is what I need to do to accomplish this" type of attitude. For the most part, it's the same things over and over, just to do different things. For example, object finding. TPAs have become the de-facto in object finding, and nobody really strays from using them anymore. One person may use "FindColorsTolerance," sort the resulting TPA, and move to a tree; another person may do the exact same thing, but to move to a rock. I don't really see too much creativity often.
    Hmm, very very true. I loved that one tree finder you used. But there are other options that many people just don't explore. Things like colour records and general GetColors, or even Bitmaps and canvas'. Not sure how, but I'm sure its possible .

I remember you had that one FindTree procedure that was better than TPAs?
    My GitHub

Progress Report:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Sounds like quite a usefull thread, I'll be sure to run my script past this as if it were a checklist before submitting it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Im gonna try doing something verry good...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information