Thread: Religious Studies

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

Default Religious Studies

Question:
    Explain some of the difficulties which might be found in trying to describe God.

Any oppinions, pointers?

Cheers
    T~M

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)

different religions/ veiwpoints have different ideals of god.

ex: christions say god is almighty, where satanists dont beileve in any diety, and think that god and the bible is just a metaphore
    <TViYH> i had a dream about you again awkwardsaw
    Malachi 2:3

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

How can you describe a being that is above this world while only using worldly words?
    Or: How can you describe something that does not exist?
    Proud owner of "Efferator" my totally boted main account!
    "You see, sometimes, science is not a guess" -Xiaobing Zhou (my past physics professor, with heavy Chinese accent)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)

It will be very hard to describe god, as he is non existent. It's a bit like trying to describe a leprechaun - People have different opinions about them, but they do not really matter because they don't exist they are more like a myth.
    Click here to find out how to get full screen without members! | Click here to check out my Ultimate Bitmap Tutorial! Edited to work with Simba! |

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

Anyone else got a (long) answer ?
    Or anyone who has been asked this at school?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    60 Post(s)

Well I've had a few debates about it, and mostly, religious people base their "truths" on faith, while non religious people base their "truths" on sense. Dunno if that'll help or not, but yeah..

What I mean by that is that if a religious person thinks they can feel a certain entity in them (my mom, for example, says that her god (she's Christian, and I say "her god" because not everyone views it the same) has a certain love in her heart that's different from anything else, which in itself is quite absurd, because hearts can't express love, only the brain (and the chemicals that react from "love") can show it, but nonetheless, she thinks that the feelings she may or may not feel (mind over matter is where I'm getting at) proves that a higher power exists.

And for an atheist, it's, again, senses. If you can touch/taste/smell/see/hear something, then it has to be real. While this has it's flaws stated as such (you can think about chocolate, and opening a chocolate bar, and taking your first bite out of that freshly opened, deliciously amazing bar of chocolate, and your mouth may water, and you may smell and taste and feel the chocolate in your mouth, but that chocolate isn't really there), it is still the general basis of how an atheist may think (from what I've noticed).

Debating religion is pretty tough, because it has so much to do with everything else. And it's pretty silly, to me, how people react when people religion is brought up, when other things are debated just the same. (Same as in if an atheist shows his "proof" of a non-existent being that a theist would say is true, and a theist shows his "proof" of an existing being that an atheist would say is false, then both the atheist and the theist will just show their "proves" without, usually, even taking the other side into thought, as it's not how they believe. And the same thing happens in things like drugs. "Drugs are bad and give you every cancer ever and you'll eat your brains out if you do any of them ever once." (of course, that's a very extreme side to the "drugs are bad" side, but it's just an example. ) will go against the "Hahaha, oh wow. You've fallen into the cracks of government thinking. Just to let you know, caffeine and aspirin and cough medicine and all those other things are drugs as well. And I do drugs, and I'm alive, so what say you?" (Or the drug user may just say "Nope. Learn about it." even though he himself may not know what he's saying.) And, again, neither side will listen to the opposing arguments.

Protip: Just say, "Whatever floats your boat," and sit down. If anyone starts arguing with you ("You can't even defend your own side," "You can't do that," etc.), just say "Okay." or "Alright." and don't argue back. Then when you get home, and you're alone, laugh at how arrogant they are. I mean, really. If you need to argue for your side against someone who doesn't even care either way, and it bothers you, then you really aren't supporting that side. You're just supporting the act of argument and debate. (Which isn't always bad, but for things like religion, drugs, sex, race, and opinion-related subjects, it's really going to always play out the same (both sides will say they're right, while the other's wrong, without knowledge of the other side.)

Tl;dr, abstain.

(Hopefully I didn't say this too bias towards one side or the other)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

Cheers

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Your doing this for GCSE, right?
    If so, which course are you doing and by which exam board - OCR, Edecxel or AQA?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

This is coursework yeh :/
    Hmm, I "think" it is AQA, but may be OCR (or Edecxel )

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Man View Post
    Question:
    Explain some of the difficulties which might be found in trying to describe God.

Any oppinions, pointers?

Cheers
    T~M
    Describing something fictitious requires great imagination. Hence difficulties you may encounter include making it even vaguely believable, making it magical enough to capture people's imagination and worst of all, writer's block.

Thread Information