Thread: The Usefulness of CMD

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Default The Usefulness of CMD

Yes I can hear it now. "Windows Command Prompt fails" "It's useless." Well maybe you'll get to learn something today. . This is for Educational purposes only. Use at your own risk.

PS: (FukHaq5/ZPO Applies here)

**NOTE**This tutorial Does NOT work on Vista. It you need Admin access on Vista, try using *THE* VDM exploit. If interested, getting the code/reading up on this is just as easy as googling for it ). /**NOTE**

So A virus is keeping you from running Anti-Virus program or you forgot your admin password? Well have no fear, there is a simple method for getting %SYSTEM% access to your computer from a normal user account .

This is actually a simple process. It all depends on running the 'at' command on command prompt. To access command prompt, press windows key + R

and type in 'cmd'. The black Dialog box is The command prompt.

To get your local system time, type in 'time' and hit enter twice. Now (mentally) add around 1 minute to it. Now you will be doing the "real work".

Type this command in next

'at *time + 1 minute here* /interactive cmd.exe'

If you get a different output make sure you typed everything in correctly. Also note the time you enter should be different, and *MOST* the time your computer will be defaulted to a 12-hour clock.

Once your computer's clock reaches the time, a new command prompt will open.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Notice the \System32> and its running under SVCHOST.EXE.

Congratulations, you are now SYSTEM. Have some fun,explore, learn something .
    --------------------------------------
    A few activities for the reader:
    1) Get Explorer.exe to run as SYSTEM.
    2) Force a Password Change
    3) Force an unstoppable Reboot
    4) Rewrite your MsConfig (fun one ). [And Most Useful if something, such as a virus, is blocking access to it]

--------------------------------------

Now I'm sure someone (Maybe?) wants to know WHY this works. Well here we are.

The At command is Windows Attempt at Crontab/Cronjobs. All it does is really schedule tasks to run at a certain time. For more options you can just type in at /? for a more complete list of Options.

The tag '/interactive' tells 'at' to interact DIRECTLY with the User(aka Userland). Now how does this get passed to SVCHOST? Well without getting too technical, SVCHOST has several processes running at once (for verification just check your task manager, you will see several). SVCHOST is "technically" a kernel service that runs in userland for interaction between the two.

When running something '/interactive', as the 'at' "man" page says, it interacts with the desktop of the user logged in, which (For those that don't know) is Explorer.exe. Explorer is responsible for several other processes, one being Command prompt! *GASP*.

It's 2 AM here so this might be a fail explanation. P:. I'll gladly explain anything else/clarify if needed . Happy Readings
    Last edited by chaoyd; 06-18-2010 at 09:12 AM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Perhaps have pics without the paint mess-up.. looks rather unprofessional.

If we know your first name, it really doesn't do anything for us.
    Writing an SRL Member Application | [Updated] Pascal Scripting Statements
    My GitHub

Progress Report:
    13:46 <@BenLand100> <SourceCode> @BenLand100: what you have just said shows you 
                        have serious physchological problems
    13:46 <@BenLand100> HE GETS IT!
    13:46 <@BenLand100> HE FINALLY GETS IT!!!!1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

^Yeah they were from when i threw it together for a project and all i had was paint :O.

I'll stay paranoid anyway.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chaoyd View Post
    ^Yeah they were from when i threw it together for a project and all i had was paint :O.

I'll stay paranoid anyway.
    Uh huh... Whatever you say Tim.
    (Scripts outdated until I update for new SRL changes)
    AK Smelter & Crafter [SRL-Stats] - Fast Fighter [TUT] [SRL-Stats]
    If you PM me with a stupid question or one listed in FAQ I will NOT respond. -Narcle
    Summer = me busy, won't be around much.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Who cares what your drive letter is...

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)

maby explain more usefull functions and stuff?

maby example .bat files
    <TViYH> i had a dream about you again awkwardsaw
    Malachi 2:3

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MylesMadness View Post
    Yea, hmm, letter...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MylesMadness View Post
    Better safe than sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Awkwardsaw View Post
    maby explain more usefull functions and stuff?

maby example .bat files
    Do you mean what other useful things 'at' can do? Or more uses for this particular 'at' command? Because AT can do basically what CronJobs do. Just schedules certain .exe/.bat/whatever program/script to run at a certain time.
    Last edited by chaoyd; 06-18-2010 at 08:55 AM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    60 Post(s)

I think he means you should make a tutorial about other command prompt functions.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    37 Post(s)

TBH CMD is not useful in any way, just doing stuff without GUI basically to make newf*gs think they're prohackers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dr D. Dervish View Post
    TBH CMD is not useful in any way, just doing stuff without GUI basically to make newf*gs think they're prohackers.
    Then you sir are just misinformed. Sure it's no terminal but it's incredibly helpful for doing many things quickly. (Though I'll take Terminal/Yakuake over it ANY day, hell I'd take Mac/OBSD's Terminal over windows anyday)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wizzup? View Post
    The rabit fanboys of Apple hardly ever have a real idea about what a computer can do, so you can completely disregard them.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dr D. Dervish View Post
    if you know what your doing its faster,
    <TViYH> i had a dream about you again awkwardsaw
    Malachi 2:3

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

CMD has the general functions of how DOS used to work--just slightly improved! Adding useful networking functions and or OS functions that cannot be easily accessed through the Windows GUI interface should be added to this guide.

A prime example would be the command: ipconfig /all

Adding multiple useful functions that people can use for multi-use purposes would make this guide useful. Other than that, I'm sorry but I see no use in this guide seeing anyone can open command prompt and type "help" for useful commands.

Guiding users through commands that are not in command prompt's default help list can be helpful, especially users who are looking for specific commands. Though on the flip side you can just go on the Microsoft website and find all the commands yourself.

Now if this guide was directed towards something specific for example: How to port forward/trigger your router with the assistance of CMD--that would be different seeing some users may need to port forward or port trigger a game console or just to open up some ports for various reasons.

Thread Information