Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [LH]How and Why Chrome Is Overtaking Firefox Among Power Users

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Default [LH]How and Why Chrome Is Overtaking Firefox Among Power Users

Firefox has long been the go-to web browser among power users for its impressive feature set, extensibility, and openness. But Google's nimble, light, also extensible and open browser, Chrome, has won over Firefox's core user base. Here's why:

On Monday, we asked Lifehacker readers to share their current browser of choice, and the results were surprising. While we'd expected to see a jump in Chrome usage since our last poll (in which Firefox was favored by 57 percent of respondents to Chrome's 21 percent), we didn't expect Chrome to have surpassed Firefox usage by almost 10 percent. Specifically, out of 40,000 responses, 42 percent chose Chrome as their browser of choice; 33 percent chose Firefox.
    Source
    Quote Originally Posted by irc
    [00:55:29] < Guest3097> I lol at how BenLand100 has become noidea
    [01:07:40] <@BenLand100> i'm not noidea i'm
    [01:07:44] -!- BenLand100 is now known as BenLand42-
    [01:07:46] <@BenLand42-> shit
    [01:07:49] -!- BenLand42- is now known as BenLand420
    [01:07:50] <@BenLand420> YEA

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Interesting. I've been using firefox for years and have heard about chrome, but never knew this. I might make the switch, But I don't really see a point in doing so. I don't play rs in firefox or anything with java in firefox. Do you think i should start using chrome?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

A test showing Javascript Speed shows that Chrome is a bit faster
    0 care. Javascript sucks anyways, and 99.99~9% of common work you will notice almost no difference. If you want faster JS, use IE9. IE9 is faster than Chrome in these fields. See what I did there? I said you should use a worse browser because it just runs faster in a certain field.

I don't love Firefox, nor do I hate Chrome. I think people should use whatever suits them best. However, I shall stick with Firefox due to its licensing and mod-ability; they are both more open than Chrome.

Send SMS messages using Simba
    Please do not send me a PM asking for help; I will not be able to help you! Post in a relevant thread or make your own! And always remember to search first!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Just a question regarding my post: Does JS have anything to do with rs and how it runs?
    I love firefox because I've been using it for years and I like how you can set a theme.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Runescape Pro View Post
    Just a question regarding my post: Does JS have anything to do with rs and how it runs?
    No. Javascript isn't Java. RuneScape doesn't use any Javascript in-game (I don't think it's even possible to do so).

Please do not send me a PM asking for help; I will not be able to help you! Post in a relevant thread or make your own! And always remember to search first!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Oh, ok. Is JS some like HTML?

Semi-offtopic: I remember trying out safari and thought it was cool for that 9 page site selector thing. Other than that, it wasn't better than firefox imo.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Oh, ok. Is JS some like HTML?

Semi-offtopic: I remember trying out safari and thought it was cool for that 9 page site selector thing. Other than that, it wasn't better than firefox imo.
    Java != JS.

JS is an embedded scripting language which typically resides in HTML. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JavaScript

Chrome has that `page selector` it holds your 6 most visited sites, if you set it to.

I use chrome
    Writing an SRL Member Application | [Updated] Pascal Scripting Statements
    My GitHub

Progress Report:
    13:46 <@BenLand100> <SourceCode> @BenLand100: what you have just said shows you 
                        have serious physchological problems
    13:46 <@BenLand100> HE GETS IT!
    13:46 <@BenLand100> HE FINALLY GETS IT!!!!1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I LIKE chrome but i HATE IT!

Its really nice and fast, but think the reason for this is because there is 4 chrome.exe's running in your task manager when you only have 1 chrome open. Then when you start opening tabs up all 4 start to increase!

Its dumb! eats up alot of cpu usage. Not recomened for bottle necking computers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Why would there be 4 chrome.exe's in the task manager for 1 actual window? That's very odd.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Quoted
    327 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by squancy View Post
    I LIKE chrome but i HATE IT!

Its really nice and fast, but think the reason for this is because there is 4 chrome.exe's running in your task manager when you only have 1 chrome open. Then when you start opening tabs up all 4 start to increase!

Its dumb! eats up alot of cpu usage. Not recomened for bottle necking computers.
    1. Multiple chrome.exe files makes turning a tab into a window extremely easy + chrome can use more threads which can be useful at some levels.
    2. For each tab/window you open only one chrome.exe process starts again? not 4...
    3. Chrome uses less CPU power with 6 tabs open compared to Firefox with the same tabs open (On my computer that is...) Firefox used 20%, Chrome used 4% in total

I use chrome because I like how you get to see much more of the webpage than with the other web-browsers (Chrome has two bars at the top, Firefox has 4 and 1 at the bottom)
    Oh, and runescape pro; You can choose themes on chrome too

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

The main point of separate processes is so that when a tab crashes, only that tab is crashed, the rest remain unharmed!
    Writing an SRL Member Application | [Updated] Pascal Scripting Statements
    My GitHub

Progress Report:
    13:46 <@BenLand100> <SourceCode> @BenLand100: what you have just said shows you 
                        have serious physchological problems
    13:46 <@BenLand100> HE GETS IT!
    13:46 <@BenLand100> HE FINALLY GETS IT!!!!1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nava2 View Post
    The main point of separate processes is so that when a tab crashes, only that tab is crashed, the rest remain unharmed!
    Hmm that is true Nava!

I've had crashes with google but it remains only in that tab.

with firefox one tab crashes and its gone.

BUT firefox does have that restore last page deal.

I don't know if chrome has it as it never fully crashed on me.

Wow Nava2 you just changed my view on Chrome. I have always like the Bookmark bar thats on top its so nice and easy to acess sites with it.

I think im going to switch to chrome, just because now i know what those 4 exe.'s are for.

It's for stability reasons and im going to choose that over cpu hogging My cpu can handle it anyway. Im just greeeeedy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

When I used chrome, there were a lot of things that made me wonder about privacy issues and how it remembered/stored certain things.

I know FF a lot better and I personally like having the bars above and below. The extra screen space felt a bit weird.
    Despite this, I really hate how much slower FF is to chrome. Chrome would fly to any webpage without question and have lots of backups if it crashed (and it rarely did), whereas firefox has these random crashes that occur ONLY at the most inappropriate times

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

People spend way too much time debating about which browser is the fastest. -_-

They all have their pros/cons.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Zyt3x View Post
    I use chrome because I like how you get to see much more of the webpage than with the other web-browsers (Chrome has two bars at the top, Firefox has 4 and 1 at the bottom)
    Silly goose, you can customize those EASILY. I only have one bar: forward, back, refresh, stop; with small icons. On that same bar, it has the address bar and a small Google-search bar, and that also includes a dropdown for the File/Edit/View/etc menu. The tabs are on a separate bar below it.

If your resolution is so small that an extra few millimeters of screen-space influence your browser choice, then you need to get with the times :P
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShadow View Post
    People spend way too much time debating about which browser is the fastest. -_-

They all have their pros/cons.
    --^

Mentioned
    146 Post(s)
    Quoted
    130 Post(s)

Interesting. I've been using firefox for years and have heard about chrome, but never knew this. I might make the switch, But I don't really see a point in doing so. I don't play rs in firefox or anything with java in firefox. Do you think i should start using chrome?
    According to other benchmarks Firefox beats chrome by 50%.
    http://news.slashdot.org/story/10/09...hes-the-Kraken

I see a lot of weird arguments in this thread. Zytex, you do know that you can fully customize all the bars?
    Also, unless you're planning to use more than 1024 I don't see the advantage of forking for each tab, which is what chrome does. It eats memory and is generally less efficient than pthreads.

Firefox doesn't just ``crash''. It only shuts down when the plugins in it (read: ADOBE FLASH) crash. And it has had Out of Process Plugin support since quite a few versions, do this doesn't even happen anymore.

Firefox is IMO a better browser because it supports real open standards.
    Last edited by Wizzup?; 09-23-2010 at 08:52 PM.

The best way to contact me is by email, which you can find on my website: http://wizzup.org
    I also get email notifications of private messages, though.

Simba (on Twitter | Group on Villavu | Website | Stable/Unstable releases
    Documentation | Source | Simba Bug Tracker on Github and Villavu )

My (Blog | Website)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

I <3 chome because out of the box it takes up next to know windows space and the cold start time for me is much faster.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    242 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nava2 View Post
    Chrome has that `page selector` it holds your 6 most visited sites, if you set it to.

I use chrome
    You should check out the SpeedDial extension.

I use Chrome because it uses less resources...but I first used it for incognito windows lol so my parents couldn't see my browsing history. Now that other browsers copied that idea, I use Chrome because I'm used to it and I have it set up for my daily internet browsing with all the special extensions.

Mentioned
    146 Post(s)
    Quoted
    130 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mormonman View Post
    I use Chrome because it uses less resources...but I first used it for incognito windows lol so my parents couldn't see my browsing history. Now that other browsers copied that idea, I use Chrome because I'm used to it and I have it set up for my daily internet browsing with all the special extensions.
    Chrome in fact uses more memory. See my previous post.
    (First google hit, probably slightly outdated) http://dotnetperls.com/chrome-memory
    Last edited by Wizzup?; 09-23-2010 at 08:55 PM.

The best way to contact me is by email, which you can find on my website: http://wizzup.org
    I also get email notifications of private messages, though.

Simba (on Twitter | Group on Villavu | Website | Stable/Unstable releases
    Documentation | Source | Simba Bug Tracker on Github and Villavu )

My (Blog | Website)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

mathml with chrome is nasty, firefox wins.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    242 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wizzup? View Post
    Chrome in fact uses more memory. See my previous post.
    (First google hit, probably slightly outdated) http://dotnetperls.com/chrome-memory
    Well with my little netbook Chrome is doing a better job that Firefox did. I did some stress tests, opening many tabs, playing videos in multiple tabs, tested loading times, they probably weren't the best tests ever run but in my experience Chrome outperformed Firefox.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    266 Post(s)

I used to use FF a while ago, but converted to Chrome, and I couldn't go back.
    <3

Quote Originally Posted by Eminem
    I don't care if you're black, white, straight, bisexual, gay, lesbian, short, tall, fat, skinny, rich or poor. If you're nice to me, I'll be nice to you. Simple as that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I like firefox so much more than Chrome. I bought a new computer and thought it would be cool to use chrome, and I had to resort back to FireFox after only a week.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

I used to use firefox, but it lagged on my machine, hence now I use chrome which is soo much better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Ok so after making the GG switch from FF to Chrome, now some weird things are happening. If im using Google chrome for a while and then close it. It will do a temporary disconnect from the internet. I notice it because while im botting i will notice runescape saying "atempting to reconect" and then when i open Swiftkit it will have an error as well. SO I don't really know whats causing this as i already checked google and there issues are different from mine.

Hmm any ideas why when i close GC it disconnects my internet for about 15 seconds?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information