Thread: How do I get Simba under Ubuntu ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Default How do I get Simba under Ubuntu ?

Is it even possible at all? I've tried walking through the instructions in the wiki but I honestly couldn't figure anything out. I'm a total linux newbie :/

From what I've gathered, the steps are
    1. Download and install a particular version of Free Pascal Compiler
    --There are about sixty files of 3-5 different extensions under Linux/i386, which one do I need?
    2. Download and install a particular version of Lazarus (Bonus : current version doesn't work)
    --Where do I get this fabled version of Lazarus and how do I build/install it?
    3. Get source of Simba and build it using FPC and Lazarus
    --Wha?

Will it even work
    I don't check this place often, sorry.

Currently working on - Software Engineering degree. Thank you SRL for showing me the one true path

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    60 Post(s)

1. http://wizzup.org/simba/article/2
    2. Use Wine
    3. ???
    4. PROFIT!!!

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quoted
    63 Post(s)

Check Coh3n's Guide for it here.

~BraK

"Sometimes User's don't need the Answer spelled out with Code. Sometimes all they need is guidance and explanation of the logic to get where they are going."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Umm...I sort of ran into same issue. I find it a bit weird to use wine for Simba as it runs natively too, but I guess wine is the only option to get EVERYTHING(read: extensions) to work fine under ubuntu, isn't it?

PS. If someone knows more about the issue of srl.sex not working natively on anything other than windows then I would really appreciate a basic explanation of the problem and some possible solutions to it. Thanks in advance
    A Chinese wiseman once said: "Shu ciu!", it was considered very smart, but now people know it means: "Something stinks here!"
    FalBuggySmelter v.1.31
    [Updated on the 1st of March 2010]
    RimmBugger BETA V1.8

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    60 Post(s)

The reason that Simba doesn't work well on Ubuntu (or any GNU/Linux distro, afaik) is because of the PascalScript interpreter not being cross-platform.

lib/pyMML/SPyRL will fix that, though.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Quoted
    327 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by i luffs yeww View Post
    Looking forward to this!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by i luffs yeww View Post
    The reason that Simba doesn't work well on Ubuntu (or any GNU/Linux distro, afaik) is because of the PascalScript interpreter not being cross-platform.

<3 remember my help is always here
    Just hit me on msn

-Boom

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    60 Post(s)

I'd love to work on it more but.. a lot of family stuff is happening (cancer, I might be moving somewhere, changing schools, health stuff for me, counseling, etc.), and school in general takes up time, and so I really don't have tons of time right now. :/

I wish more people would work on it, really, as they will need to know some python to script it, and it's a great way to learn in my opinion, since then you understand how a lot of the behind-the-scenes stuff, so bugs and errors would be a lot easier to find and fix.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)

Wait so simba doesn't actually work in native linux? Wasn't the whole point of making Simba to make it work on linux and windows? Whats the point of running the exe in wine if its made for linux lol
    Click here to find out how to get full screen without members! | Click here to check out my Ultimate Bitmap Tutorial! Edited to work with Simba! |

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)

I think i was looking for something like that and found that simba running natively cannot compile scripts or something along the lines of can't script because of how stuffed up pascal is on linux .

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Quoted
    327 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cycrosism View Post
    Wait so simba doesn't actually work in native linux? Wasn't the whole point of making Simba to make it work on linux and windows? Whats the point of running the exe in wine if its made for linux lol
    Simba works just fine. It's PascalScript that sucks

Thread Information