Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ten Years Later (A History of Cheating)

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Quoted
    60 Post(s)

Default Ten Years Later (A History of Cheating)

Sometime this year will mark the 10 year anniversary of my involvement in RuneScape and the cheating that has been a part of my life (in varying degrees) since. Needless to say, the shitty 2D sprites of RSC are very near to my heart. For any of you that are interested, this is a history of RuneScape cheating as I remember it. My history at the beginning is a bit fuzzy, so feel free to look up a copy of The Black Book of RS Cheating by EvilCowGod (I'm sure you've never heard of him) for some correlation.

As I, BenLand100, remember it, everything began very simply with some coordinates and a clicking program (Nick Sherlock, you are not forgotten). Macro recording was all there was, you clicked a pattern, and it repeated it. Then Jagex got smart and made the minimap shift a little bit randomly and eventually added in the dreaded sleeping which had to be done to continue doing anything and required a captcha challenge to proceed. Kaitnieks developed the two of the great programs, AutoRune and SleepWalker. AutoRune was a packet bot, and Jagex was insecure. Full 99s were completely possible very quickly. SleepWalker took a screenshot of your captcha and let real people solve it, so they could gain credits and get others to solve for them. Wonderful example of people coming together to accomplish a common goal.

Jagex took a swipe at the packet bots by encrypting and changing communications, resulting in one of the first massive bans. Cheating was pronounced dead, for the first time. And then we cheaters closed the bank doors and killed all the bankers. Someone discovered the first ever dupe-bug in the Client, and proceeded to make so many party hats that even today the prices reflect the proportions duplicated and not the amount created by Jagex. At some point in all of this, the major cheating forums were attacked by Jagex and the community moved onto IRC (I, at the time, did not follow). Rumor has it that some of the original client hackers created their own RuneScape clients and had a merry time fucking with Jagex. I popped back in with the arrival of Kaitnieks' new creation, SCAR (Shite Compared to AutoRune) which was the first of the color based bots. The community migrated the the best of all the old forums, kaitnieks.com, and SCAR was great. It also seemed completely unstoppable, even then. Sure, they could change the color of things (and that started happening dynamically) but things were always fixable. Jagex couldn't break SCAR without making the game completely unplayable by the masses.

RuneScape 2, RS2, or as you all know it, RuneScape, was the hot new thing at this time. And everyone wanted to find a new way to cheat on it. Of course, SCAR was there faster than anything else, and stayed king for a very long time. StarBlaster100 was notable in these times for have some of the best and most stable scripts. Props to him. This was the age of the include wars (much like the time wars) of which I was a part of. I had the market cornered on mouse control and math functions from this point forward. Various adept programmers were competing over who could create the best collection of helper methods and get the most powerful scripts. Randoms were introduced, and we created random solving includes. I had an included, merged with Squig, merged with others, died off, resurged, and this happened everywhere. Sometime in this fray WT-Fakawi joined the forums and was, if memory serves, asking for help to make an Falador Guard Killer. I politely called him a noob and said he should start out smaller, but he went for it and got it pretty well. Eventually Fawki, as I and others nicknamed him, got into the Include Wars and started the project he called SRL on a private forum. I tried to retire, but Fakawi invited me to join SRL and bring my mouse magic with me. Fakawi successfully united the major programmers at the time, got them working together, and out came SRL, the best include. The include wars were over and things were good.

Life moved on, Kaitnieks was soon to be a father, and cheating kept thriving. The heyday of RuneScape cheating was now, a stable community, great people, lots of learning, and lots of cheating. Then Regex and company, with proper gusto, spawned a new age of cheating, the likes of which rivaled AutoRune, with the aptly named Aryan. Aryan was an edited client refactored with regular expressions. Decompiled, edited, recompiled. Massive cheating ensued. Threats were made by Jagex, Kaitnieks figured he had had his fill, and the forums closed down. The mass bans proceeded as expected, but people could auto so easily and so quickly that no one cared about bans anymore. Cheating sort of started to die off. Eventually, however, Jagex managed to properly obfuscate their compiled code, and Aryan broke. There were many attempts to emulate Aryan functionality with bytecode injection bots such as ARGA, ARES, and others, but none of them really had the impact of Aryan.

Of course, at some point the SRL Forums became semi public, and history proceeded. SCAR continued to lose its user base, due mostly to people getting older and disinterested. Kaitnieks handed over the source code of SCAR to Freddy1990 to maintain, and the metallic shine of SCAR has slowly become cheap and plasticy. SCAR needed a bit of a boost, and that boost came to me, one day, in the guise of Solarwind (who, really, wasn't a horribly bad guy, just misguided and with a temper to boot) who wanted to create a bot like Aryan but use SCAR as the scripting platform. Wonderful idea, he just couldn't do it alone. At this point I had tried to retire many times, but seemed to, so I helped him. REFLECTION is my contribution, my gift, to the Runescape cheating community. As a joke, we called it the "kick your ass bot" or KYAB. Needless to say it was cool, but badly received by the color community, but still, great idea. Its main flaw was Solarwind, who had a horrible reputation. But SCAR chugged on, randoms were solved, new more advanced color methods were created, and things stayed basically the same.

In the other chains of events that I was not involved with, Java based bots went their own way, many noobs followed, and the SCAR and SRL communities stagnated. There is of course MoparScape, a client capable of connecting to private servers, and Moparisthebest's forums which are worth mentioning as a replacement to kaitnieks.com. sythe.org also remained as the dregs of the cheating community. I wanted to retire, again, but was convinced by persons unnamed to tackle one of SCAR's greatest flaws in the face of other bots, the takeover of the computer mouse and screen to run a script. Many days and a lack-of-sleep induced rage later, the beginnings of SMART were created, and (at least as I would like to believe) served to slightly revive SCAR cheating. Eventually I made another attempt with introducing reflection to the color community by adding it to SMART and it seems to have taken some hold. Jagex took a major swipe at Runescape cheating by removing free trade, making cheating almost pointless for any reasons we previously had. There was at some point RSDemon which we all assumed was an AutoRune like bot, or maybe even an encapsulated client, but never knew for sure. RSBot, one of the java bots, was attacked by Jagex and nearly killed, but life moved on.

Today OpenSource has become the new hot phrase in the cheating community. A wonderful opensource alternative to SCAR, aptly named Simba, has a very promising future (yes, Wizzup, promising). SRL is still alive and well, though its father resides in legend. Very few of the old guard remain, but new people keep showing up, and the new guard is strong. I released the source to SMART, which I had previously guarded with my life. Jagex might even reinstate free trade again (we will know soon). People are out there that know the Runescape client up and down (*cough* pplsuqbawlz), color cheating can't be killed, and java cheating is too stubborn to die, so I think cheating is in a pretty good way for being nearly 10 years old.

SO, Cheers to 10 years of cheating on RuneScape!
    I personally think it's time I retire and get the hell off the internet.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    98 Post(s)

You, sir, are a faggot.

EDIT: Repeat of a whole bunch of history someone could have found had they been so inclined. Will someone get a stone tablet and carve the past into it already?

***DISREGARD THAT I SUCK COCKS***
    Last edited by BenLand100; 01-17-2011 at 05:21 AM.
    The jealous temper of mankind, ever more disposed to censure than
    to praise the work of others, has constantly made the pursuit of new
    methods and systems no less perilous than the search after unknown
    lands and seas.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Good read

Does anyone remember that guy that made a forum promising an AutoRune 2? The forum was very popular and lots of people paid him for a preorder of a bot that was never created. This scam went on for awhile and he just left with millions of GP and cash...lol The guy was well known, but it was soo long ago I cant remember..

Also, since im not super active, what are the current big names in java bots and what are they using(reflection/bytecode)?
    Last edited by _ChArMz; 01-17-2011 at 05:19 AM.

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Quoted
    60 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by _ChArMz View Post
    Good read

Does anyone remember that guy that made a forum promising an AutoRune 2? The forum was very popular and lots of people paid him for a preorder of a bot that was never created. This scam went on for awhile and he just left with millions of GP and cash...lol

Also, since im not super active, what are the current big names in java bots and what are they using(reflection/bytecode)?
    RAW iirc. I dunno the active javabots, tbh, but i believe most use bytecode or some reflection hybrid

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    152 Post(s)

Very nice BenLand. How old are you now? I know you've been around here for a long time but I don't want you to retire. Thank you for SMART and Reflection. Hopefully we @ SRL can accept changes and improvements to get us up and running again.
    Faith is an oasis in the heart which will never be reached by the caravan of thinking.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

You better not retire :[ OR ELSE!

Quote Originally Posted by kingarabian View Post
    How old are you now?
    He is 20.

Send SMS messages using Simba
    Please do not send me a PM asking for help; I will not be able to help you! Post in a relevant thread or make your own! And always remember to search first!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

It's still a wall of text.

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Quoted
    60 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    He is 20.
    Yes, which implies I was a 12 year old skiddy at one point :3

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

I don't think he is retiring anytime soon.

Cheers to that though, I wish we could have a beer together, but that damn border gets in the way.
    Writing an SRL Member Application | [Updated] Pascal Scripting Statements
    My GitHub

Progress Report:
    13:46 <@BenLand100> <SourceCode> @BenLand100: what you have just said shows you 
                        have serious physchological problems
    13:46 <@BenLand100> HE GETS IT!
    13:46 <@BenLand100> HE FINALLY GETS IT!!!!1

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    152 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BenLand100 View Post
    Yes, which implies I was a 12 year old skiddy at one point :3
    You were creating mouse and math functions @ age 12? God damn it I was busy playing neopets...
    Faith is an oasis in the heart which will never be reached by the caravan of thinking.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kingarabian View Post
    You were creating mouse and math functions @ age 12? God damn it I was busy playing neopets...
    Neopets <3

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by _ChArMz View Post
    Good read

Does anyone remember that guy that made a forum promising an AutoRune 2? The forum was very popular and lots of people paid him for a preorder of a bot that was never created. This scam went on for awhile and he just left with millions of GP and cash...lol The guy was well known, but it was soo long ago I cant remember..

Yea, I remember in 2006 it was advertised on kaitnieks main page although he made it blatant he had nothing to do with it.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Great read, it really is cool to look back at the old stuff. Thanks for writing it up!

[offtopic]Thought you were 40, you inbred. [/offtopic]

hakuna matata ;)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)

nothing about nexus?

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    138 Post(s)

Great read, good time waster (not meant in a bad way )

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Quoted
    327 Post(s)

What about ScarScape?

And you can write some more about the good old days of SRL, when we had 100k+ new posts when we wake up, and 1k+ posts each time we clicked the New Posts button

This is a good thread, BenLand100. Nicely done
    Last edited by Zyt3x; 01-17-2011 at 12:07 PM.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    138 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Zyt3x View Post
    Boreas
    Lol.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Quoted
    327 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TomTuff View Post
    Lol.
    ahahahaha oh wow.. I've been talking to and about boreas a lot these days..

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Hehe still floating around on villavu ben ? :P

I've read stories like this a dozen times, but they keep amusing me.
    Administrator's Warning:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

this is interesting shit, people should post more of it

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    78 Post(s)

Nice story

I have been cheating since 2002 I think

Will rs2 packet bots ever come???

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by antti mies View Post
    Nope!
    Writing an SRL Member Application | [Updated] Pascal Scripting Statements
    My GitHub

Progress Report:
    13:46 <@BenLand100> <SourceCode> @BenLand100: what you have just said shows you 
                        have serious physchological problems
    13:46 <@BenLand100> HE GETS IT!
    13:46 <@BenLand100> HE FINALLY GETS IT!!!!1

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Quoted
    60 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by antti mies View Post
    There were ways to change your client side stuff with packet editing, and rumor has it RSDemon was a packet-like bot. But who knows :P

Mentioned
    268 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1442 Post(s)

I really liked your interpretation about the history of cheating parallel to the history of Runescape, but it seems like this is all just from your point of view.

I noticed alot of important points in time you hadn't mentioned above. I'm originally from the RsCheating forum called RuneCMS, I don't know if you've heard about it but I'm sure alot of the original people here have. This was the next stage in Java bots in Runescape Classic, following, of course, AutoRune. And like you said before about java bots, they're just deob'd Runescape clients with some editing here and there to make the code easier to read and methods easier to call through the client, this wasn't same with AutoRune which had no intention of simply renaming code, but directly editing the packets sent to/from the game server. This was a huge threat to Jagex, lots of damage could have been done (and I'm sure it was) but if I remember correctly, it didn't take too horribly long for Jagex to see how vulnerable their server really was.

Eventually RuneCMS had just shut down(I'm don't quite remember what the reason was) but the mass majority of the community moved on to Sythe.org, and Sythe, if I recall, was a pretty good friend to the RuneCMS community long before that point. Yes, Zyt3x, this is where ScarScape came in linked very closely with Sythe's website, but whether or not it's still even around I don't know, but I kinda doubt it.

Packet bots, whether they return or not, will not last long, as they would be the easiest to detect, infact any client-edited bots will be no trouble to detect with security like it is currently in Runescape. This is probably the sexiest (yes sexiest, I think so anyways) features about a program like scar, as it has nothing to do with editing what's not ours, but rather grabbing colors and bitmaps based on what it sees in a specified section on your screen. Reflection I haven't even looked into at all, so I honestly have no accurate opinion to give about it, but it sure sounds neat!

Scar, or any program or sort, is quite far from detectable. There are always ways Jagex previously could detect simple programs as such including auto clickers and what not, such as clicking in the same X/Y coordinate multiple times, or doing the same procedure/clicks in an exact same time interval, but these are security features we've evolved from and learned to dodge, thus the birth of....random X/Y coords and random timers! This is smart, more human-like and obviously not easy to detect.

Oh and it looks like you didn't give a name for the item-duper, his name was 'Sixfeetunder' or something close to that, and he used a packetbot. This was the main reason for pink partyhats later on becoming, as we know them today, purple partyhats.

Sorry for trailing off, but I hope I gave a few of your missing pieces to your story that you might have left off or didn't know about.

~Cheers

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    266 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by R0b0t1 View Post
    ***DISREGARD THAT I SUCK COCKS***
    Saaaaaaaame.

Oh em gee! Nice thread!
    <3

Quote Originally Posted by Eminem
    I don't care if you're black, white, straight, bisexual, gay, lesbian, short, tall, fat, skinny, rich or poor. If you're nice to me, I'll be nice to you. Simple as that.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information