View Poll Results: Shall we have a new SRL Scripting Competition?

Voters
39. This poll is closed
  • Yes, fully open

11 28.21%
  • Yes, pre-set scripting goal

28 71.79%
  • No!

0 0%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How about another compo?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    72 Post(s)

I would like a challenging script to make, but I don't want the choice to scare off the other newer scripters. It's more fun if there's more people competing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Depending on when it is on I would participate. Please make it somthing that is simple on the outside(Fisher, Miner, Woodcutter), but can be made very complex.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    72 Post(s)

I won't do a tutorial runner for sure, it's way too complex and also hard to test (I am NOT going to create 20 accs just to see if the tut runner actually works, besides old tut island is gone ).
    Fisher/miner was already done.
    How about a firemaker and/or woodcutter?
    I made a new script, check it out!.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

A all in one woodcutter and fm would be nice
    Quote Originally Posted by DD on IRC
    wanted to troll the troll

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I would be down to join this competition as long as everyone has to make something similar and f2p. I actually have gathered all the information for a tutorial runner and a nice outline complete... Would take me around a day or two to complete. I have work in 8 hours and haven't slept yet.... maybe an all nighter to try and get it done. In my opinion, it's wayyy to easy now that the tutorial island isn't used. I would suggest a quest competition. F2p quests only and the tutorial doesn't count. It would be interesting to see who would make Dragon Slayer lol.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    266 Post(s)

I like the idea of a WCer and FMer. Have the option to bank, drop, or burn logs after chopping them, and also a normal FMer.
    <3

Quote Originally Posted by Eminem
    I don't care if you're black, white, straight, bisexual, gay, lesbian, short, tall, fat, skinny, rich or poor. If you're nice to me, I'll be nice to you. Simple as that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    I like the idea of a WCer and FMer. Have the option to bank, drop, or burn logs after chopping them, and also a normal FMer.
    This pl0x <3

-Boom

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I like the FM'er and WC'er, a novice scritper like myself will be able to finish it, but I can see how somebody could add detail(multiple locations, log types, etc.). The thought of an all-in-one skiller as also mentioned, scares me enough I might not even attempt to start it.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    72 Post(s)

All-in-one is too complex, same with tutorial. Any brilliant idea's besides FM/WC?

Mentioned
    228 Post(s)
    Quoted
    267 Post(s)

Dungeoeeringer? (sorry can't think of if this is p2p or not)
    STOP PM'ING ME

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    72 Post(s)

Dungeoneering is f2p but I can't imagine how you'd script it. RSBot can do it with some reflection hax but colour would instantly be excluded.
    Too complex I think..

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Quoted
    624 Post(s)

A tutorial runner that does rune mysteries quest after the tutorial is done

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamite View Post
    I wouldn't mind a Rune Mysteries Quester :L

-Boom
    Quote Originally Posted by Troll Man View Post
    Tut runner!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Markus View Post
    Dungeoneering is f2p but I can't imagine how you'd script it. RSBot can do it with some reflection hax but colour would instantly be excluded.
    Too complex I think..
    Dungeoneering script would be some intense stuff, no doubt about it.

I didn't even think it was possible at all, but I don't have any idea how rsbot runs
    The only true authority stems from knowledge, not from position.

You can contact me via matrix protocol: @grats:grats.win or you can email me at the same domain, any user/email address.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

However much fun a tut runner would be, it would be bad/silly to judge

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Markus View Post
    All-in-one is too complex, same with tutorial. Any brilliant idea's besides FM/WC?
    I think an all in one could work. (WC or FM or something) The advanced scripters could do all the things that they desire with the skill, while the beginners could have just a power chopper or something.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

You could leave it at woodcutter / firemaker and let the people pick if they want flawless 1 loc or all in one

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)

Before starting a new competition, we first need to post the results for JM#2 and competition #5.. :X

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quoted
    429 Post(s)

So I voted accidentally for the wrong option, I meant to vote for option 2, if a staff could change it

Also, I like the idea of a simple script like a woodcutter or something, because there are advanced object tracking portions which a scripter can impress with, and others will fall victim to reflection's ease of use with two lines of code to check for cutting, etc. I think that it would be a good idea to start up, because it allows new scripters to give it a shot and get good feedback.

Scripts: Edgeville Chop & Bank, GE Merchanting Aid
    Tutorials: How to Dominate the Grand Exchange

Quote Originally Posted by YoHoJo View Post
    I like hentai.

Mentioned
    228 Post(s)
    Quoted
    267 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 3Garrett3 View Post
    So I voted accidentally for the wrong option, I meant to vote for option 2, if a staff could change it

Done
    STOP PM'ING ME

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

Fishing! :v

Send SMS messages using Simba
    Please do not send me a PM asking for help; I will not be able to help you! Post in a relevant thread or make your own! And always remember to search first!

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Quoted
    624 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbit View Post
    Done
    Oh I wasn't going to even bother you guys, but I did the same thing yesterday lol...

#2 definitely
    The only true authority stems from knowledge, not from position.

You can contact me via matrix protocol: @grats:grats.win or you can email me at the same domain, any user/email address.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    119 Post(s)

I'm up for another competition, I'll take part in this one.

In terms of the script, I think it should definitely be colour, as (IMO) there's many more options with colour scripting, so it takes more skill, ergo making it generally better to differentiate between the good ones, and the great ones. The script itself, I think something highly basic, like a woodcutter/fishing, as this would get a large amount of use after the competition.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

How about we leave it reasonably open, but still keep it to stuff we need. Dungeoneering resource area scripts...

Current Script Project
    Pot of flour gatherer - 95% done

Can't get Simba to work? Click here for a tutorial

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    19 Post(s)

If the competition is open to non-SRL Members then I may enter it for fun. I've been planning on trying my hand at a Reflection tut runner (I'm still garbage at pure Color scripting) since I'm in the process of building up my army anyways; however, I'd be willing to put that off if the competition was about something else.

Also I feel like an AIO Dungeoneering script would require something exponentially above the level of MSI, which is a much bigger undertaking than could be done with a single competition. You'd need to be able to perform any of the (what is it now, 26?) skills in every possible randomly generated room; be able to fight each boss with the required methods/strategies; and keep track of the locations of items and room features, as well as the map layout of the entire dungeon. This would be pretty difficult and time-consuming to pull off even with Reflection, and I doubt it can even be done period with Color alone.

And about my opinions on the competition script: I think it needs to be a single skill/objective for sure, not a multi-skill sort of thing. Now if it was one skill with required support of at least 2 locations, I think that would be fair; also, any quest runner could be good.
    Long ago, the '90s Nicktoons lived together in harmony. Then, everything changed when the century turned. Only Avatar, the best of the 2000's Nicktoons, could save them. But when the channel needed it most, the show finished. Four years passed and Mike and Bryan created the new Avatar: Legend of Korra. And although the show itself is great, it has a long way to go before it can live up to The Last Airbender. But I believe Korra can save Nickelodeon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

IMO it should be FULL color. Although reflection is an option, where is the fun in that? I just think that a competition with a nice first second third cup prize(just like I have the old timer one.) should be full color. I honestly don't think JaGeX will ever step up and have the balls to ban all the bots who blatantly auto with information they are gathering from the client itself! But what if... you know? What if JaGeX started paying attention? Everyone would come here for the genius that is simple color. Having a competition that challenges all to show what they are made of(rather than the rs client itself) would just further the color learning here.

In my honest opinion, there will be a day where all bots fall. Only one will stand. And that bot(it's not just a bot to me actually... It's knowledge, a fantastic community and a common goal to be better) will be simba. Or it could be scar... All I'm trying to get at is that we will be here(having a program do tasks for us in a game with colors) way longer than those who take the easy way out.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    266 Post(s)

As much as I support the use of Reflection, I do agree that perhaps it should be colour only. If not colour only, perhaps a limit on how much Reflection can be used?
    <3

Quote Originally Posted by Eminem
    I don't care if you're black, white, straight, bisexual, gay, lesbian, short, tall, fat, skinny, rich or poor. If you're nice to me, I'll be nice to you. Simple as that.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information