Poll: Are you for gun rights or against?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guns

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Default Guns

I have a government and politics and here Gun Rights are my topic for the CBA. Lets see what you guys think.
    Still learning to code in Simba.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quoted
    496 Post(s)

banning the populace from having guns will do nothing to stop violence.

It's kind of like Marijuana. If you ban it then only the worse/bad(theoretically speaking) people will get it. Which is totally fine in this case.

If you ban guns then good citizens will not have a way to protect themselves and bad citizens will still have guns illegally.

pretty obvious its a stupid idea... =/

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    72 Post(s)

Lot's of good info from this thread at MITB:

http://www.moparisthebest.com/smf/in...,484823.0.html

Mentioned
    268 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1442 Post(s)

The Constitution protects people's rights to own them for self defense within their property. I think this is something people would fight for.

Current projects:
    [ AeroGuardians (GotR minigame), Motherlode Miner, Blast furnace ]

"I won't fall in your gravity. Open your eyes,
    you're the Earth and I'm the sky..."

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    266 Post(s)

I'm a 15 year old kid with a double barrel shotgun, but I don't go 'round shooting everyone's head off. If guns were made illegal, those who really wanted them would still find a way of getting them.

EDIT: Just thought I'd add I'm from England, since I know that gun laws differ everywhere.
    Last edited by Rich; 05-13-2011 at 06:24 PM.
    <3

Quote Originally Posted by Eminem
    I don't care if you're black, white, straight, bisexual, gay, lesbian, short, tall, fat, skinny, rich or poor. If you're nice to me, I'll be nice to you. Simple as that.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Echo_ View Post
    Lot's of good info from this thread at MITB:

http://www.moparisthebest.com/smf/in...,484823.0.html
    Mopar is a redneck.. That is all.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

At this point i think trying to implement the banning of guns will be problematic, but the statistics are clear that allowing guns isn't helping anything.

EDIT: and with regards to people defending themselves. Unless you're a police-person who is trained to handle those types of situations, most people regardless of whether or not they know how to use a gun can easily make the situation worse in panic or just panic fire, and not end up defending themselves in reality anyway. Most often, having a gun won't help you in most situations, and afaik if someone breaks and enters and you shoot them, they can sue you, so it wont help there either.
    Last edited by Dan Cardin; 05-13-2011 at 05:47 PM.
    SCAR Tutorials: The Form Tutorial | Types, Arrays, and Classes
    Programming Projects: NotePad | Tetris | Chess

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Check the murder rate for Canada vs. the US.

Case and point.
    Writing an SRL Member Application | [Updated] Pascal Scripting Statements
    My GitHub

Progress Report:
    13:46 <@BenLand100> <SourceCode> @BenLand100: what you have just said shows you 
                        have serious physchological problems
    13:46 <@BenLand100> HE GETS IT!
    13:46 <@BenLand100> HE FINALLY GETS IT!!!!1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Strongly for.

Lol@ comparing Canada and US murder rates ignoring all other factors involved and saying "because guns are illegal"

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nava2 View Post
    Check the murder rate for Canada vs. the US.

Case and point.
    Check the population density and racial diversity of Canada vs the US.

Cut out the large slum areas cities such as Detroit that are filled with lower-class citizens in a large density, and those in gangs etc. The main issue is not with the weapon, but with the population and how it behaves.

I am not pro-guns being 100% legalized; the current system (in NY anyways) is pretty fine. You have to pass certain tests and such to verify you're sane and such. Even CCP you can get (and have), and it works out very well. In my area Upstate, in the non-black neighborhoods, there is never any shooting and almost never any crime.

Comparing two totally different countries with a totally different set of laws/population/government handouts/etc is insane.

Send SMS messages using Simba
    Please do not send me a PM asking for help; I will not be able to help you! Post in a relevant thread or make your own! And always remember to search first!

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Quoted
    327 Post(s)

I'm a pacifist

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

in the non-black areas of upstate newyork is getting fairly specific to be actually useful as a comparison.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

It's not all about the populace killing each other, but what about in the event of another World War? What do other countries ponder about when they think of invading the United States? I'm sure the thought of every citizen owning a gun really dissuades them from that idea.

I feel safer as a country with gun rights, and personally. I live pretty much next to the "ghetto" and people's houses and cars get broken into and robbed pretty frequently, although I can understand people being afraid of an idiot that doesn't know how to use a gun trying to protect himself or someone else and just making it worse.

Cars kill people too, should we make them illegal? If you look at countries in Africa where people are too poor to afford a car, the accident and mortality rates caused by cars is much lower than the US, obviously the car is the problem and not the idiot driving.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Quoted
    327 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by josh81193 View Post
    Cars kill people too, should we make them illegal? If you look at countries in Africa where people are too poor to afford a car, the accident and mortality rates caused by cars is much lower than the US, obviously the car is the problem and not the idiot driving.
    No, cars don't kill people, it's the person driving the car that's killing

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quoted
    496 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Zyt3x View Post
    Bullets don't kill people, it's the gunpowder driving the bullet that's killing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by footballjds View Post
    Bullets don't kill people, it's the gunpowder driving the bullet that's killing.
    Gunpowder doesnt kill, its the finger pulling the trigger
    "Logic never changes, just the syntax" - Kyle Undefined?

Remember, The Edit Button Is There For A Reason!!!

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quoted
    496 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yago View Post
    Gunpowder doesnt kill, its the finger pulling the trigger
    The finger doesn't kill, it's the brain telling your muscle to constrict doing the killing.

My point was and still is, arguing over semantics is ridiculously stupid.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Or just the kinetic energy

And it is the whole system that kills people

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Cardin View Post
    in the non-black areas of upstate newyork is getting fairly specific to be actually useful as a comparison.
    I just say that so people don't go "durp NYC tons of crime".

Send SMS messages using Simba
    Please do not send me a PM asking for help; I will not be able to help you! Post in a relevant thread or make your own! And always remember to search first!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Zyt3x View Post
    That's my point, guns don't kill people, it's the person pulling the trigger that's killing.

I'm all for educating people/stricter background checks.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Quoted
    327 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by josh81193 View Post
    That's my point, guns don't kill people, it's the person pulling the trigger that's killing.

I'm all for educating people/stricter background checks.
    Ah, I guess "obviously the car is the problem and not the idiot driving." was sarcasm then... My bad.. I'm not very good at spotting it

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)

For. The city where I live is a piece of shit, with there being a stabbing incident almost every weekend. When I can get one, I'll have a gun on me at all times.
    Click here to find out how to get full screen without members! | Click here to check out my Ultimate Bitmap Tutorial! Edited to work with Simba! |

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

"The great object is, that every man be armed. [...] Every one who is able may have a gun." - Patrick Henry.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

It's not all about the populace killing each other, but what about in the event of another World War? What do other countries ponder about when they think of invading the United States? I'm sure the thought of every citizen owning a gun really dissuades them from that idea.
    I'm sure to the soldiers that would be doing the invading, the off chance that a person might have a gun (since i would be willing to bet the ratio of people with guns to nonguns is very skewed towards nonguns) won't deter them in the least. It would be the trained people (police and soldiers) that would give them pause. Oh and our bombs and such. When speaking of actual fighting inbetween countries, you cant really think in terms of guns, you talk bombs.

In terms of cars and guns. They're not really related. Cars are for getting places. When you get into an accident, you have as much chance as getting yourself killed as someone else. So people try not to kill themselves, but suck at driving and do so anyways. You can suck at shooting all you want but unless someone is shooting back at you, the actual shooting part would be hard-pressed to kill you by itself.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Cardin View Post
    I'm sure to the soldiers that would be doing the invading, the off chance that a person might have a gun (since i would be willing to bet the ratio of people with guns to nonguns is very skewed towards nonguns) won't deter them in the least. It would be the trained people (police and soldiers) that would give them pause. Oh and our bombs and such. When speaking of actual fighting inbetween countries, you cant really think in terms of guns, you talk bombs.
    Dan do you live in the US? First I know quite a few "regular people" who you would never think would own a gun but in fact do. I don't really know the ration of those that own and those that don't I'd say its 50-50 due to cities where most don't own a gun. Those that own a gun don't have just one, usually they have 3 or more. Second there are gun clubs all over the place where non-police and trained forces are probably a better shot then those that are in the service.

I agree on your last point though. Guerilla warfare is very unlikely at this point in time, it would be the very last resort.
    (Scripts outdated until I update for new SRL changes)
    AK Smelter & Crafter [SRL-Stats] - Fast Fighter [TUT] [SRL-Stats]
    If you PM me with a stupid question or one listed in FAQ I will NOT respond. -Narcle
    Summer = me busy, won't be around much.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information