Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your Computer, Better, Faster.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Arrow Your Computer, Better, Faster.

Making Your Internet & Computer Faster - Created July 19, 2011

This is a two part guide. The first part will cover basics on making your internet perform better, and making pages load faster. The Second part of the guide will teach a little about cleaning up your computer to help it stay clean and fresh.

Part 1: The Internet

The internet is a fantastic place, without it you wouldn't even be able to be reading this little guide of mine right now. Sometimes though, the internet can feel slower than it should, but there are some ways that we can speed up those page loading times. We will learn how to do so, now.

The first common problem that people, like me & you, face using the internet is the browser that is shipped with the OS. That's right I'm talking about good old Internet Explorer, and we will be ditching it today. Some of you *might* be saying "I can't leave IE!! Some of my websites won't load in other browsers!!" This is wrong. I will show you how to get around this.

First, we must get a different browser to replace IE. Pretty much any of the alternatives are better, but for the sake of time, I'm going to cover one. Google Chrome. (I know I talk to much, I'm getting on with the guide I promise )

Step One: Download Google Chrome from Google.

Step Two: Run the installer you just downloaded. It will download more files from Google to complete the browser install.

Step Three: After the install is complete, run Chrome if it doesn't do so automatically. You will be prompted to select a search engine. Choose whichever you like, but I would recommend Google.

Step Four: Customize Chrome to fit your needs. Chrome will give you an intro on how to install extensions and themes the first time you run it, but they tend to hind after that first install. They are hiding in the button in the top right that looks like a wrench. Some extensions that I would recommend would be Adblock, and for those of you who can't live without IE, install IE tab. This runs IE inside of Chrome, which is safer. I would love to hear about all of your favorite extensions/themes for Chrome! (I'll make a list here)

Step Five - Final: Get to know your new browser. Built in features like the New tab page - A place that lists your most visited sites along with tabs your recently closed - can really help you down the road and speed up your browsing experience. Google Chrome will also auto-complete the name of a site if you have typed it before. For example: to type in facebook in my browser, all I have to do is hit "f" and it completes the rest, I just hit enter, and I'm there. There are lots of other cool tricks, but these are the ones most commonly used. That's all I'm going to cover for now with Chrome.

Part 2: Cleaning Up Your Computer

A common reason for computers slowing down is too many temporary files. These can be caused by bad internet browsers, but also just seem to pile up from everyday use. Applications leave files laying around that aren't needed anymore, or just don't get used often enough to constitute taking up the space they do when they could just be re-created. So how do we fix this? We use a program called CCleaner.

Now that you know a little bit about what we will be doing, and with what, let me explain CCleaner a bit more. CCleaner is a program that can be used for a myriad of tasks to keep your computer clean. Everything from secure file deletion to registry cleaning, it does it. We will be using it's basic function though, which is analyzing your hard drive and programs and determining which files are wasting space and slowing down your computer. On-ward!

Step One: Download CCleaner from Piriform. (trusted source, you can also download from cnet if you like.)

Step Two: Install CCleaner from the package you just downloaded. Simple install, no need to change any of the default options. (If you don't want shortcuts created then you can uncheck those of course)

Step Three: Upon completing the install CCleaner should run itself, if it doesn't, start it. You will now have a Window that shows a bunch of check boxes under programs and other things. Don't panic, you don't need to touch those unless you know what you're doing!

Step Four:Now that CCleaner is up and running we need to tell it to Analyze our system for data that can be removed. Do this by simply clicking the "Analyze" button in the bottom right of CCleaner. After you click a progress bar will appear, let it run all the way to 100%. Once it has finished, click "Run Cleaner" which is right next to where "Analyze" was. You will again be greeted with a progress bar, let it run. (It will probably ask you to close any open browsers)

Step Five - Final Step and thoughts:As soon as the progress bar finishes you should repeat Step Four up to three times. It seems that cleaning it out reveals more data that could be removed. You can also use CCleaner to clean out your registry or purge file folders. Just look around in the menus a bit. Be careful though, you could delete system data if you tell it to delete the wrong folder.

End Guide

Well thanks for enduring that little tutorial with me, I hope you enjoy the faster browsing and more space on your hard drive. (Along with a bit faster performance from my experience.) If you have any other programs that you use to do the same thing, please post them! Options are always great, one of my favorite for web browsing, Firefox, didn't get posted right now because it's still just slower than Chrome.... Anyway, questions? Comments? Criticism? Let's hear it!
    I'm Silent SPY
    Secret project: 0%
    Need help? Send me a PM

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Quoted
    680 Post(s)

From my experience, Firefox isn't slower than Chrome (at least it hasn't been noticeable). I used Chrome for about a year, then switched to FF and found that RS works 100% better, AdBlock Plus worked better. Each has their advantages over the other I suppose, but I much prefer FF.

CCleaner is great, I recommend it to everyone. I've been using it for years.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I love FF too, but for me it has always started a little slower. Adblock Plus is also great.
    I'm Silent SPY
    Need help? Send me a PM

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

i found FF slower too

anyway another feature you can add about chrome is the omnibox instant, its in the basic settings under search (it loads the pages while your typing them so the page might be loaded before you finish typing the address, and you dont have to press enter)

~shut

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    152 Post(s)

Firefox and Chrome have basically the same speed. Each has their own goodies... Firefox has sexy extensions while Chrome does not crash much imo.
    Faith is an oasis in the heart which will never be reached by the caravan of thinking.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kingarabian View Post
    Firefox and Chrome have basically the same speed. Each has their own goodies... Firefox has sexy extensions while Chrome does not crash much imo.
    i dont really use many extensions, so i go with stability, besides chrome has all the extensions i need and one is already built in

FF: Firebug
    Chrome: Webkit (Built in)

~shut

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)

Have you guys every tried Advanced SystemCare and Game Booster?
    "Logic never changes, just the syntax" - Kyle Undefined?

Remember, The Edit Button Is There For A Reason!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shuttleu View Post
    nope, good programs i presume?

~shut
    Game Booster is good... Sometimes cpu goes down from 40 to 30 ... stuff like 70 to 55 and stuff like that. Also CleanMem also works...

the advanced care IDK... but it all looks good and doesn't slow down my computer after I installed or use resources

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

What exactly does Game Booster do? I'm curious as to how it would reduce CPU load that much..

@ Everyone else. Yes FF probably has a few more extensions, but that number gets smaller everyday. Not to mention that Chrome's Omnibox instant ( as Shuttlue mentioned) is fantastic. Of course so is the Omnibox in general.
    Last edited by Silent; 07-19-2011 at 09:49 PM.
    I'm Silent SPY
    Need help? Send me a PM

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Silent SPY View Post
    What exactly does Game Booster do? I'm curious as to how it would reduce CPU load that much..
    To my knowledge... It practically stops unused processes and junk...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kingarabian View Post
    I found that Firefox actually crashes less than Chrome. I like FF all around more than Chrome anyways.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)

FF ftw! I hate chrome because:
    1)its made by google, who knows what they track?
    2)you cant modify the settings like you can on FF(about:config)
    3)chrome is RAM hungry!

Dunno if you guys know this, but FF 8 is supposed to be very fast compared to FF 4. Aside from that, its a good guide!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Don't we all know this, I expected some better ideas.

Well, whatever for a beginner I guess this is a good tutorial

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KingKong View Post
    FF ftw! I hate chrome because:
    1)its made by google, who knows what they track?
    2)you cant modify the settings like you can on FF(about:config)
    3)chrome is RAM hungry!

Dunno if you guys know this, but FF 8 is supposed to be very fast compared to FF 4. Aside from that, its a good guide!
    1) It doesn't track anything you need to worry about. See here.
    2) Yes you can. Check out about:about for more info.
    3)Chrome runs instances of each page as a process. So the more tabs you have open, yes the more ram hungry. Firefox always consumes around 200k memory in my experience. More than Chrome.

FF 8? I've seen FF 5 that like just came out, I do like it, but it's still just a tad slower.

Quote Originally Posted by Smarter Child View Post
    Don't we all know this, I expected some better ideas.

Well, whatever for a beginner I guess this is a good tutorial
    Most of the people here probably do know, that's true. This is aimed at more of a beginners view. I may come up with a more complex guide later.
    I'm Silent SPY
    Need help? Send me a PM

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

thanks for the guide, installing ccleaner as we speak!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

CC Celaner is great program, have been using it idk, about some year now, and really pc is better

But about internet browsers idk, i think its just how usewr wants it.. i`m sticking to FF and Opera.
    i`m here as long as don`t get in the way...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    41 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yago View Post
    Have you guys every tried Advanced SystemCare and Game Booster?
    Yes I use that program, it seems to clean my pc good and is free and simple, so that's always a plus.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)

I just like how chrome takes 5 seconds to open compared to firefox which takes about 30-60 seconds.
    Click here to find out how to get full screen without members! | Click here to check out my Ultimate Bitmap Tutorial! Edited to work with Simba! |

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cycrosism View Post
    I just like how chrome takes 5 seconds to open compared to firefox which takes about 30-60 seconds.
    ^ This.
    I'm Silent SPY
    Need help? Send me a PM

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cycrosism View Post
    Not true for me... FF takes like 3 seconds for me...

That was my situation with IE though...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yago View Post
    Not true for me... FF takes like 3 seconds for me...

That was my situation with IE though...
    Well as long as you are using FF and not IE I'm happy. IE... Gross....
    I'm Silent SPY
    Need help? Send me a PM

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)

I still use firefox on my desktop because that is way more powerful then my netbook. On my netbook however I have decided to switch to chrome because it is just faster on it then firefox was. However configuring proxies were just a tad easier on firefox (in my experience)
    Click here to find out how to get full screen without members! | Click here to check out my Ultimate Bitmap Tutorial! Edited to work with Simba! |

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Yeah settings in general are easier to access in FF, they can be found most of the time in Chrome, but not always.
    I'm Silent SPY
    Need help? Send me a PM

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)

Bump... Just got chrome and it is way faster than FF for me...

I'm utterly impressed. WOW

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information