Thread: Projectors

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    41 Post(s)

Default Projectors

I'm thinking of buying a projector to play games and watch movies on. On ebay they have alot of decently priced projectors with HDMI outputs. I'm not looking for a $500+ projector though it would be nice, it's not in my price range. Has anyone here ever played games on a PS3 or something through a projector? Was the quality decent?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

You can buy a cheapo projector or wait for a sale, not sure how good of quality a cheap projector will be though.

Also you need a room where it's dark enough, not a lot of people like to deal with that. Like basement with no windows dark, you can get away with using blinds but it won't be optimal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    41 Post(s)

Yea I only have one window in my room, I was testing it out yesterday to see if it'd be decently dark, and even in mid-day with my blinds closed and lights off it was pretty dark.

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/32...720P_HDMI.html

That's the one I'm thinking of getting, I saw some reviews of it online and people say for the price it is good.
    Last edited by ry0240; 08-07-2011 at 08:24 PM.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quoted
    63 Post(s)

The biggest part off buying a projector is the lifespan and price of a replacement bulb. They can run pretty freaking high. Sometimes almost as much as the projector itself. Just another thing to look into

~BraK

"Sometimes User's don't need the Answer spelled out with Code. Sometimes all they need is guidance and explanation of the logic to get where they are going."

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    238 Post(s)

if you're feeling a little hands on you could always try good ol DIY:
    http://diyprojectorkits.com/

I hear its really good quality and they have some kits available to make it a bit easier.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Besides the replacement bulb, the wall/screen you project it on is important too. Incorrect colored wall can mess it up, and a screen that dissipates the static and is correct color runs a various costs...
    (Scripts outdated until I update for new SRL changes)
    AK Smelter & Crafter [SRL-Stats] - Fast Fighter [TUT] [SRL-Stats]
    If you PM me with a stupid question or one listed in FAQ I will NOT respond. -Narcle
    Summer = me busy, won't be around much.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    41 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Narcle View Post
    Besides the replacement bulb, the wall/screen you project it on is important too. Incorrect colored wall can mess it up, and a screen that dissipates the static and is correct color runs a various costs...
    Isn't there like a DIY kinda paint that you can buy and just clean and reapint the wall with it? Also what do you guys think about this projector? It says the bulb lasts a long time and the resoulution and contrast ratio seem decent for the price.

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/32...720P_HDMI.html

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I was considering buying a projector at one point too, but I found the resolution too low for the price point I could afford, not to mention eventual bulb replacements.. I think, depending on the size space that you have, a Tv might be a better option. They have really come down in price anyway, plus they last much longer.
    I'm Silent SPY
    Secret project: 0%
    Need help? Send me a PM

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    41 Post(s)

Yea I have an HDTV already, but I was just thinking the thought of having an 80+inch screen would be awesome =/. But yes they do seem expensive for their resolution and stuff.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ry0240 View Post
    Yea I have an HDTV already, but I was just thinking the thought of having an 80+inch screen would be awesome =/. But yes they do seem expensive for their resolution and stuff.
    Do you even have enough space for a 80 inch display?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    41 Post(s)

Yes, I have a wall. If I did get one I'd just build a DIY screen and prop it up on my wall.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ry0240 View Post
    Yes, I have a wall. If I did get one I'd just build a DIY screen and prop it up on my wall.
    No I mean as in distance from the screen, with a screen that big you have to sit a fair distance away.

That's why TVs are so big and monitors are comparatively small. TVs are meant to be viewed from a distance.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Capricorn View Post
    No I mean as in distance from the screen, with a screen that big you have to sit a fair distance away.

That's why TVs are so big and monitors are comparatively small. TVs are meant to be viewed from a distance.
    Some monitors get up to like 32"... Which isn't really that small. At a good distance, about 10ft+ this setup that he is looking at wouldn't be bad, but I agree that you wouldn't want it right in your face. Also, depending on the resolution of the projector, it could look kind of crappy that big... That's why I think TVs > projectors.
    I'm Silent SPY
    Secret project: 0%
    Need help? Send me a PM

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    41 Post(s)

Yea I have enough length for the projector to project it that big, but yeah the resolution is iffy. I guess I should just be happy with the HDTV I got now. But I think eventually when I have more money I will experiment with a projector. I could either be pleasently surprised at the quality or sadly disappointed with it.

Thread Information