Thread: Aaaaaarrrggg!!! I hate you sphinx!!!

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Quoted
    494 Post(s)

Default Aaaaaarrrggg!!! I hate you sphinx!!!

STUPID PIECE OF SHIT! I hate it, I hate it, I hate it... I tried my best to install sphinx documentation toolsshit again on my windows laptop cause I can't get on ubuntu laptop next weeks. And it doesn't work! I always record my times how long I need to install things on my computer. And I've reached 8 hours already! AAAARRGG! I need to demolish something or someone cause frustration is killing me. And they say this makes documenting fun

Ofcourse they don't have an installer with python and such automatically installed. Ofcourse they don't link you to python with a good step for step, easy to follow tutorial. And when you have installed python and you think you can install sphinx, they give me an EGG, yeah an EGG. What do I have to do with an EGG! Wikipedia didn't know it either. AAARRG! I can boil, bake, throw an egg, but something usefull. I figured out they want me to do something different. This is just like zelda btw, except you don't hear that sound when you solve it. You just get new problems.

Suddenly a wild idea appeared, my three step plan to open shitty files; Winrar else notepad or else VLC player. After opening it with winrar I got one map full of useless not working shit! I've spent hours solving the errors. Till I gave up and threw the map away. I was this |---| close to burn my complete hard drive. So I searched and searched and found out I need easy install <- the name is a troll and not winrar. I installed it. And finally I could install the .egg. Still missing the zelda melody.

But the fun isn't over yet! They really want to make this install be a memory you will never forget. At this point I already pulled so much hair out, I had to start plucking my eyebrows! Sphinx_build errors, yeee! Just what I need. Errors! So user friendly, I love them. I even want to sleep with them, if it wasn't that I'm sure that the sphinx project isn't 18 years old yet! Something this shitty can't survive that long. So many errors. I was surprised that I couldn't find any relations between microsoft and sphinx. So odd.

I'm done for today. But tomorrow I will continue my quest to install sphinx on my windows laptop. Although I'm sure the rewards aren't worth it, I already lost my motivation after 10 minutes. I have to install it cause I'm a winner, and winners never quit and winners that quit are losers.

/rant
    Working on: Tithe Farmer

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

You only need Sphinx if you actually want to generate documents. For writing, you need not much more than notepad What are you going to use it for if I may ask?
    Hup Holland Hup!

Mentioned
    146 Post(s)
    Quoted
    130 Post(s)

I'm sorry to hear that, are we talking about the same sphinx?

http://sphinx.pocoo.org/

AFAIK you just have to install python; and then use easy_install to install sphinx.

E: Also, what nielsie said. It's not an issue if you provide us with documentation that has some markup errors, we can fix that too.

The best way to contact me is by email, which you can find on my website: http://wizzup.org
    I also get email notifications of private messages, though.

Simba (on Twitter | Group on Villavu | Website | Stable/Unstable releases
    Documentation | Source | Simba Bug Tracker on Github and Villavu )

My (Blog | Website)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

okay i managed to get it setup

my workaround was openup the make.bat
    then replace %SPHINXBUILD% with C:\Python27\Scripts\sphinx-build.exe

~shut

download and install python from here: http://www.python.org/download/
    if your using x64 then download :http://peak.telecommunity.com/dist/ez_setup.py
    open up cmd and browse to where you saved the ez_setup.py
    type in C:\Python27/python.exe ez_setup.py
    the using explorer go to C:\Python27/Scripts
    open and run C:\Python27\sphinx-quickstart.exe

the go to where you put the build directory and open up the make.bat
    everywhere you see %SPHINXBUILD% replace it with C:\Python27\Scripts\sphinx-build.exe
    Last edited by Shuttleu; 08-17-2011 at 02:01 PM.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Quoted
    494 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nielsie95 View Post
    You only need Sphinx if you actually want to generate documents. For writing, you need not much more than notepad What are you going to use it for if I may ask?
    Writing TPA docs, I've done this before on ubuntu. Which went smooth. IT can be done in 'notepad' as far as I know. Though I'm not sure which program I used in ubuntu.

Quote Originally Posted by Wizzup? View Post
    I'm sorry to hear that, are we talking about the same sphinx?

http://sphinx.pocoo.org/

AFAIK you just have to install python; and then use easy_install to install sphinx.

E: Also, what nielsie said. It's not an issue if you provide us with documentation that has some markup errors, we can fix that too.
    Still I like it to see it in html. It's just for me. But for some reason nothing works on windows. And I get no error while installing sphinx, I can quickstart a project. But I'm not able to build. I hate it when nothing is clear what the problem is. Anyway, tomorrow I will try again. This was just a rant.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by masterBB View Post
    Writing TPA docs, I've done this before on ubuntu. Which went smooth. IT can be done in 'notepad' as far as I know. Though I'm not sure which program I used in ubuntu.

Still I like it to see it in html. It's just for me. But for some reason nothing works on windows. And I get no error while installing sphinx, I can quickstart a project. But I'm not able to build. I hate it when nothing is clear what the problem is. Anyway, tomorrow I will try again. This was just a rant.
    look above before you go to bed!

~shut

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Quoted
    494 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shuttleu View Post
    look above before you go to bed!

~shut
    Already did that this morning. Don't remember what my new error was. It was some sort of extension error.

e:
    Still on my ctrl+v:
    jsmath_path config value must be set for the jsmath extenstion to work
    Last edited by masterBB; 08-17-2011 at 02:11 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

Already did that this morning. Don't remember what my new error was. It was some sort of extension error.

e:
    Still on my ctrl+v:
    jsmath_path config value must be set for the jsmath extenstion to work
    how about you try from scratch and follow my steps

~shut

Mentioned
    146 Post(s)
    Quoted
    130 Post(s)

Perhaps it is a good idea to rebase some of your work on Shuttleu's, he did some TPA documentation (one or two) days ago as well. It's on master, in the file tpa.rst.

As for editing the file, I know vim supports highlighting for it, but it might not be what you're looking for.

The best way to contact me is by email, which you can find on my website: http://wizzup.org
    I also get email notifications of private messages, though.

Simba (on Twitter | Group on Villavu | Website | Stable/Unstable releases
    Documentation | Source | Simba Bug Tracker on Github and Villavu )

My (Blog | Website)

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Quoted
    494 Post(s)

Tomorrow I will. Anyway I'm already pretty much cooled down. The rant did its job great. And thanks for you all trying to help me, rep for the not disabled ones! (Just Shuttleu I guess) .

edit:
    I'm not allowed to rep shuttleu again, should spread it more.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

edit:
    I'm not allowed to rep shuttleu again, should spread it more.
    damn, it seems you love me too much

well good luck and let me know how you get on

also from tomorrow night i will be away for a few days, so i wont be able to help you then

~shut

Thread Information