Thread: Steam on Ubuntu

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Quoted
    418 Post(s)

Default Steam on Ubuntu

I just got ubuntu 11.10 and was wonder how do you guys go about using/installing steam on ubuntu?
    I just used wine (or something called wine fixes/common wine fixes?) which installed steam for me.

Is there any other way/better way? Thanks.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Quoted
    680 Post(s)

I thought the actual client was Mac/Unix supported now, but not all games?

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Quoted
    418 Post(s)

Mac supported, some games, but nothing for linux.
    I think most people just wine it, but I think there might be better ways or special settings.
    I'm a total ubu noob idk shit.

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Quoted
    418 Post(s)

Well whatever, I belive I have it installed all properly and nice through wine.
    Next question.
    I'm dual booting and already have all my steam games/settings on my windows OS on the same machine so I just need some help doing this (I read it, seems easy enough, and I'm gonna try tomorrow but any extra clarification would be nice)

Save space on dual-boot machines

If you are dual-booting your machine, it is possible to symlink your steamapps folder from linux to the windows location. This will allow you to maintain only one copy of the game downloads. Example (stop steam first):
    cd $HOME/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/Steam/
    mv steamapps steamapps.bak
    ln -s <ABSOLUTE-WINDOWS-DRIVE-MOUNT-POINT>/Program\ Files/Steam/steamapps steamapps
    If you symlink your steamapps folder, make sure you have your windows drive mounted before launching steam or it will fail to login and present a network related error message. If you use 64-bit windows, the program files directory will need an (x86) suffix.
    http://developer.valvesoftware.com/w...am_under_Linux

Thanks!

Mentioned
    146 Post(s)
    Quoted
    130 Post(s)

What they are saying is that you should have Ubuntu mount your windows partitions somewhere. Either /mnt/windows or something done automatically like /media/<something here> and go to your wine folder and then make a symbolic link to your windows steam apps folder (removing the wine one).

The best way to contact me is by email, which you can find on my website: http://wizzup.org
    I also get email notifications of private messages, though.

Simba (on Twitter | Group on Villavu | Website | Stable/Unstable releases
    Documentation | Source | Simba Bug Tracker on Github and Villavu )

My (Blog | Website)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

yes they want you to mount your windows systems. i belive theres an auto-local-hdd-mount command but i dont remember it right now. what im wondering is why oh why would u want steam on ubuntu if you ARE dual booting? might as well just keep it on windows? wine will only give u issues and limit u to certain games....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Its dificult on Ubuntu, But what you need to do is go on the unbuntu app store thing and download this thing called WIne, Its a windows emulator, then go to steam website and download steam and run it, rememeber that steam will be a .msi not .exe(i think its msi, its m-something lol) now on getting the games to work is another thing and I couldnt figure it out so I just went back to bootleg windows 7 lol

Edit:
    Just realized this post is old lol
    Last edited by jkrules22; 04-21-2012 at 08:16 PM.
    Yes I smoke weed all day...now dont be jelly

Thread Information